Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HNLim

Can Or Not?

A bigger tank can keep more goldfish than a smaller tank. True or False?

A bigger tank requires a bigger filter. True or False?

A smaller tank requires a smaller filter. True or False?

Lets say that I can keep 20 goldfish in the bigger tank and can only keep 5 goldfish in the smaller tank.

What will happen if I use a smaller tank with the filter of the bigger tank? Can I keep 20 goldfish in a tank meant for 5 goldfish?

Is this a trick question? :ehh How did you do it with Fatty Weng?

Oh this is really interesting! I hope you don't mind my inexperienced input!

A bigger tank can keep more goldfish than a smaller tank. True or False?

I think this is true... but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm wrong on this one, lol!

A bigger tank requires a bigger filter. True or False?

Hmmmmmm.... at Kokos it's reccommended 10x filtration, which WOULD make the bigger tank use a bigger filter... but since waste gets more diluted with more water... maybe not so much bigger? So...false....perhaps? :D

A smaller tank requires a smaller filter. True or False?
False; the waste is more concentrated in a smaller volume of water, needing a more powerful filter.
Lets say that I can keep 20 goldfish in the bigger tank and can only keep 5 goldfish in the smaller tank.

What will happen if I use a smaller tank with the filter of the bigger tank? Can I keep 20 goldfish in a tank meant for 5 goldfish?

Speaking in technicalities, you could, I suppose, if the filter is very strong and one performs huge, very frequent water changes. But 20 is a whole lot... Swimming space would not be that great, I would imagine. I think because of that, I would say no.

How bad did I do? haha! :D

My thought is that the filter itself wouldn't make that big of a difference. It is the water exchange that matters. That is why if you set up a continous water change system you can stock your tanks way more than ususally would.

Wouldn't the goldies get stunted in a smaller tank?

I know this has to be some kind of trick,

How big is the bigger tank and how big is the larger tank, are we talking a 500gallon compaired to a 200gallon?

This is not a trick question. You will have plenty to learn if you are prepared to contribute. It will greatly change the way you keep your goldfish in the future.

My thoughts are that a filter can only do so much. It holds biological media and mechanical media - so in a cycled tank it will house bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrite, and filter out particulate matter (size depending on the filter media). However, there are other things in your water that a filter does not remove, such as some types of bacteria that - if they build up, will cause disease. The only way to prevent this is water changes. The greater the volume of water you have, the more dilute the 'bad things' are. So even if you did have a 5 gallon tank with a whole lot of filtration, the toxins in the water would still concentrate very quickly if the tank was overstocked.

If changing water is critical, then a smaller tank allows you to work less because you have lesser water to change in a smaller tank with 20 fish than a bigger tank with 20 fish. True or false?

:rofl how about allowing the little guys more exercise in the larger tank? more muscle :rofl

In my experience, my biggest tank is the easiest to maintain. Even when I've been short on filtration on it, the water levels stay balanced longer, and at a time, it was over stocked. I suppose if you had massive filtration on a smaller, over stocked tank, you could maintain healthy water params, but inevitably, the fish will then physically outgrow it and need more space. If you kept 10 goldies in a 10 gallon with a complete water exchange system, they would't produce the hormone caused by ammonia to stunt them and soon they wouldn't have room to swim. Long story short, I'd rather have the regular maintenance of 20 goldies in a proper tank, than the daily maintenance of 20 in a too small tank :D

personally, i wouldn't do it.. because if you decide that you must miss a waterchange because you need to go away or your routine for the day is to crammed you can't fit a water change in, that would be super critical to nitrate and toxin build up..

just because you have a larger filter, it doesn't mean that all will be well with your cycle.. aquarists experience cycle bumps all the time.. most of the time, they are present and undetected until the fish show signs of illness. the larger tank with the correct amount of water and filtration will prevent your fish from suffering most side effects of a cycle bump.

and lastly, i don't see it practical as fish do argue for space, food and friendship.. such a confined space for so many fish could lead to behavioural problems..

in my experience, the basic requirements that this site advises for fishkeeping have proven to work best in my fishtank..

If changing water is critical, then a smaller tank allows you to work less because you have lesser water to change in a smaller tank with 20 fish than a bigger tank with 20 fish. True or false?

That depends on how you define less work. Not as much lifting maybe (if you are using buckets) but you'd be doing it MUCH more frequently. You'd also be testing the water more...which I consider to be work, and cleaning the filters.

In my experience, my biggest tank is the easiest to maintain. Even when I've been short on filtration on it, the water levels stay balanced longer, and at a time, it was over stocked.

:exactly

A small, overstocked tank is always on the brink. If you miss one water change or warning sign, the whole thing goes bad in a matter of hours. I once had to use a 5 gallon to QT a sick fish (my QT 15 gallon tank smashed) until I could get something bigger. It was highly over-filtered but over night, after just a day or two, the perams went crazy. You need to be so much more vigilant with a small tank.

:exactly what I was going to say. In the long run, my bigger tanks have been much easier to maintain. A small tank requires more water changes and you have to watch it like a hawk. If you get sick or have a death in the family or whatever else could happen that would keep you from your normal water change routine you are much more likely to lose all your fish than in a larger room that both figuratively and literally allows for more wiggle room.

This is not a trick question. You will have plenty to learn if you are prepared to contribute. It will greatly change the way you keep your goldfish in the future.

So??????? Spit it out. :please

So??????? Spit it out. :please

YES! I'm insanely curious!

I am intrigued!

Ok no matter the size of the tank you can still only have 1 fancy per 10 gallons starting out with a tank no smaller the 20 gallons. You well still need 10xgph no mater the size of the tank.

But yes a larger tank is more forgiving of bad water and easier to take care of but sill need 10xgph and can still only hold 1 fancy per 10 gallons.

Hope that answers your questions.