Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

I Want To Slap Myself

After the big water change yesterday evening I must have forgotten to plug the filter of the 55 gallon tank back in. I noticed it before, so about... 17 hours later!! I hope the BB in the filter are alright. It's a HOB filter and it still had a lot of water in it, so the filter media didn't dry out. I'll keep testing the water to see if it is ok though.

:o I've never done this, but I'm always afraid I will! Hopefully it will all be okay.

I always check 10times after because I am always afraid. Now I have lowered the intakes so much that I can leave the canisters on when I do the w/c - way better for my nerves.

Next time maybe empty the canister and refill it with fresh water - the stagnant water can grow quite some nasties in a few hrs.

Thanks. I don't know how I could forget to do that. I didn't even notice because I fill the tank up to the rim, so there is no splash right now even with the filter on. But the aeration was on in the tanks so the swooshing and bubble popping gave the illusion the filter is on. I usually hardly hear the filter itself, so another reason I didn't notice.

In case the cycle crashes, how do I fix it the fastest? Add bacteria starter etc? Lots of water changes of course. Am I glad I got a hose now...

I always check 10times after because I am always afraid. Now I have lowered the intakes so much that I can leave the canisters on when I do the w/c - way better for my nerves.

Next time maybe empty the canister and refill it with fresh water - the stagnant water can grow quite some nasties in a few hrs.

Yeah, I know. But I panicked! I was all ZOMG!%&!)*(^!! and plugged it back in. Maybe a good thing I am treating with salt and prazi right now. Next time I'll put a post-it on the tank as a reminder to plug the filter back in.

My intake is quite low too, but up on the top where the little motor is in is a minimum water line. I didn't want to risk breaking the filter, so I unplugged it. Darnn.

Eep!!! My power went out for a couple hours a while back and I was panicking the entire time because obviously the filter wasn't working. Then when the power came back on it took a couple hours of whacking it to get it going again. It was scary. :peeka:(

Eep!!! My power went out for a couple hours a while back and I was panicking the entire time because obviously the filter wasn't working. Then when the power came back on it took a couple hours of whacking it to get it going again. It was scary. :peeka:(

wow, do i know what it's like to whack a filter until it starts.. sheesh!! desparation.. i nearly had touchdown with one of mine!

My filter came right back on, made me glad. I'll test the water tomorrow morning and see how it is doing.

Hope your cycle's ok! I have each tank's equipment on a power bar, so either everything's on or off, easier than remembering to plug each piece of equipment in :)

I think we have all been there and done that. But just think how you will laugh when you are FILLING a tank, and get interested in something on the computer or the door bell rings and then... when the most feared dripping sounds get your complete attention. Yikes! Now i take my watch off and carry in in my hand to remind me that I have water running , getting absent minded in this old age.

Fang if you need a boost you can get Nutrafin CYCLE - OMG it works so good :)

LOL mikroll! That would be terrible!

Thanks Federica! If I notice the water params going downhill, I will get some of it :)

I am guilty of having overfilled a tank until water was going everywhere. What a pain. I like TetraSafe Start as well. But keep an eye on your params for a few days and hopefully everything will be okay.

This is why my filters, heater, lights and air pump are on a power strip hun, this way when I need to do a water change i just hit one switch and everything is off and then just switch it back on when the tank is almost filled up again :)

Really? You whacked your filter for 2 hours? :rofl

If the filter needs a hit to get it going again the impeller

and impeller cavity are probably plugged up with minerals.

It really should be taken apart and cleaned up.

I soak my pump parts in vinegar for a couple of hours.(much easier than whackin) :D

This is why my filters, heater, lights and air pump are on a power strip hun, this way when I need to do a water change i just hit one switch and everything is off and then just switch it back on when the tank is almost filled up again :)

I got mine on a power strip too but I thought I'd do the fish a favor by leaving it on so the air pump will still be going while the filter is off. Good intentions with bad outcome. I will use the power strip from now on!

yep a power strip is the way to go,i forgot to plug in the heater one winter and woke up to ich :( lost two of my fav goldfish :( so now power strip's for all tanks!!!!

Power Strips are a Goldfish's best friend :lol

Just don't unplug your power strip... ;)

So how's the tank cycle, Fang? As Federica says, Nutrafin Cycle is a good BB boost and has worked for me. :)

And Fang, no need to slap yourself. I am now the official Koko's spanker (see my medal) LOL so I'll take over :pp

Well thanks for the spanking! ;) For some reason only my ammonia is up to 0.5, everything else 0. But it was like this BEFORE the incident, which was the reason for that unscheduled water change in the first place.

Welcome! ;)

I just had a small cycle bump two weeks ago with 0.5 ammonia levels, I believe it was because of the addition of a new AC 110 plus I've been removing small amounts of gravel on a weekly basis for the past few months and it may have added to the bump. I did daily 50% water changes along with the addition of the Nutra Fin Cycle and it's back to zero ammonia now so everything's fine. Took about a week to get it back in line. As long as you test daily, change water to compensate, it will come in no time. ;)

Alright. Again, thanks! :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang