Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
skinnyrose

Bloddy Fins, 3 Fishies Gone In 12 Hrs, Please Help

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 ppm (after water change last night

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 ppm water change last night

[*]Nitrate level? between 0 and 5.0 after water change last night

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0 ppm (LOW)

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Test Drops

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 g 8 months, but moved and I figure I'm having a cycle bump

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 305 and aqua clear 70

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 1x week 75%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Oranda (3inches) 1 Baby Black Moore (1inch) 1 Fancy ( 4inches) 1 Angel ( 3 inches)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? |Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Nutrifin Max Sinking Pellets, Blood Worms, Green Peas 2x week,

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Black Moore 3 weeks ago

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody Streaks

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? none eating and swimming fine

I was in the hospital for a week, came home still not feeling so well but immediately knew something was wrong. Did a complete water change last night, I"ve lost 1 oranda so far, and 2 bala sharks since last night.

Right now I have 1 Oranda left and 1 fancy, both showing bloody streaked fins. Oranda worse than the fancy, and worse since last night

Before the water change last night I did check water prams, Ammonia was high roungly .50, Nitrate about 10 ppms, and ph was in the lower 6.8ppm

I didn't have any aquarium salt on hand so ran and got epsom salts. Using 1/4 tsp per 10 gallon, I think it isn't enough but not quite sure. Help here would be great...

I have Jungle Anti-Bacteria Pelets, Seachem Metro Plex and Paraguard and Melafix, I have no added or given any meds....I'm waiting for advice.....

Please Help!!!!!

Edited by skinnyrose

Oh sorry you have to deal with this after your hospital stay.

I think it is more of a water quality problem. Maybe do large water changes a couple of times this week - more if the testers say it is necessary. Do not let the ammo or nitrite climb more than 0.25.

The new fish - did you QT him for one month with salt and Prazi?

I'm sorry as well :( and exactly as Federica said.

Are the tropicals in your goldfish tank?

Oh sorry you have to deal with this after your hospital stay.

I think it is more of a water quality problem. Maybe do large water changes a couple of times this week - more if the testers say it is necessary. Do not let the ammo or nitrite climb more than 0.25.

The new fish - did you QT him for one month with salt and Prazi?

I deffinately think it was a water problem, they didnt' do any water changes while I was in the hospital and I was out 2 days before this started....the Moore was QT'd for 6 weeks...

I do have a question about the salt though....because they are stressed and poisoned for I don't know how long...I know salt should be added, our LFS isnt open today ....but I do have Epsom Salts.........what are the correct measurments....or would they even help in this situation??

I'm sorry as well :( and exactly as Federica said.

Are the tropicals in your goldfish tank?

Yes the tropicals have always been the tank, thats why the extra water changes....they've always been together, without problems, the tropicals have even taken to eating the Gold fish foods. They Even travelled 1800km in a rubbermaid tote together when we moved home...thats why the long cycle bump or lose of cycle in my tank although I did leave the media in tank water and did water changes daily during the move...

no epson is for totally different things. i would focus on clean water so they relax and you can start the salt slowly tomorrow :)

okay so Wally world was open and I found Aquarium Salt.....so I"m going to a 80-90% water change, and add the aquarium salt.

Before I add it......I just want to verify its 1tsp to 1 gallon = 75 tsps for a 75 G...

:exactly 1 teaspoon per gallon is correct. Make sure it is dissolved first.

How long after a water change and the first 1% of salt added to the tank should we start seeing some improvement....they are all eating and swimming well (they had not stopped eating or swimming) today they only had some peas...just in case.

One the fancy we think we see a tiny bit of improvement but not 100% sure, on my Orange Oranda (who was the worst) we're not seeing any change in the bloody fins....he does not appear sick or in pain in any way....

I guess I"m just hoping for a miracle here....and hoping for some good news..

Checked water prams tonight and everything seems fine...

and we think we know why we may have had an ammonia spike....one of the tropicals gave birth the beginning of last week, and the tank had a great feast....we saved 28 out of a possible 80-100 (that were put in a seperate tank)

needless today the only guys left in the 75 are the fancy, oranda and angel fish.......ohh and 2 weather loaches...who have been in the tank since day one as teeny tiny babies.

Red fins might take even up to a month before they go all the way back to normal, so just keep up what your doing and they should start looking better in a week or so hun :)