Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Are There Any "rare" Colors?

I just remembered how the guy at the pet store went on about a dark-silver Oranda and how it is a rather unique and rare coloring.

So what in general are actually really rare colors for the different goldfish breeds?

Two come to mind for me:

1. The blue color which makes the Shubunkin a more valuable fish.

2. The Panda markings (colors if you will), usually white and black or white and brown. Beautiful patterns that rarely hold their pattern to maturity.

:exactly as Dennis said.

Blues are hard to come by and you're lucky if they keep their color. If you look at Hidr's Mongo he's a blue.

I also think chocolates are hard to come by. :o Mine is turning white.

What about yellow?I see on line the yellow tellies are very expensive...are they hard to come by???

I *think* that tri-colors are considered rare as well, mainly gold, black, and white coloring. (Not sure if tri-color involve other colors) :)

Dark silver? Sounds like a blue or lavender to me. I always consider their actual color to be silver even though from other lighting spectrum, their colors do look like either blue or lavender. I find these uncommon but not unheard of. Very nice fishies.:)

The others I'd consider hard to find in my area would be pandas, apache and yellow. The unique golden (true gold) Siamese dolls (mini version of telescopes) are very hard to find.

True deep black is very unusual, even in 'black' moors, it tends to turn orange with age. Most colours are common on smaller younger goldfish, the rarity comes with whether they keep it as they grow...

Chocolate Oranda's or any kind of goldfish with that color are very hard to find, I had one breeder offer to buy Pharoh off of me cause of his colors... I have yet to find another fish like him but still keep looking :o

phh.jpg

Another color its hard to find for me is the Calico Oranda's :o

I thnk how rare something is depends on your area. Heck ranchu's are rare around here. lol So are red and white telescopes. Calico oranda are for sure too and never seen a chocolate in my area either.

Oh Hidr one fish you wont find in the USA... Chocolate Ranchu's.... I have seen pics of them on Tommy's site years ago but they wont allow exporting them :o

great now i want a chocolate ranchu! i had some blue orandas about 10 yrs ago .. and i havnt seen any since.. they were really blue grey. i have a green ranchu that is keeping her color so far .. its soo pretty .. green with a purple cast .. ive been seeing green and purple ranchus on goldfish connection lately.

You and me both want a Chocolate Ranchu WHOOT!! :)

Dark silver? Sounds like a blue or lavender to me. I always consider their actual color to be silver even though from other lighting spectrum, their colors do look like either blue or lavender. I find these uncommon but not unheard of. Very nice fishies.:)

The others I'd consider hard to find in my area would be pandas, apache and yellow. The unique golden (true gold) Siamese dolls (mini version of telescopes) are very hard to find.

It really looked like a dark silver.

He looked almost exactly like this one (I had to edit the original photo because the original has brownish areas on his back)

silverOranda.jpg

So the more blue, the better? I guess I'm quite lucky with Hugo then. :3

@ Koko: I am ALMOST sure they had a calico Oranda at vvvvv, in the same tank where I got Spicey and where they had this silver Oranda. I wouldn't bet my life on it though... But the tank is empty now. I was just there a couple hours ago to pick up a buddy Platy for our newest fish.

Edited by number20121

Panda ANYTHING (orandas, telescopes, etc.) are almost impossible to keep black and white. Don't ever pay top dollar for one unless you know you'll still adore the fish when it's either all-white, or orange, or whatever. I have a little panda telescope in QT right now that I fully expect will be a white telescope within a month or two.

I have ONE black fish that has stayed that way....and now that I said that, she will probably change. My oranda is still dark after almost a year of having her. My black moor is now a big fat orange boy. I guess they aren't called "goldfish" for nothing....

I've had Salem, my black ranchu, for a year now too, and he's still as black as the day I got him (though quite bronze-y, always has been). I still fully expect him to turn orange one day soon.

It really looked like a dark silver.

He looked almost exactly like this one (I had to edit the original photo because the original has brownish areas on his back)

silverOranda.jpg

So the more blue, the better? I guess I'm quite lucky with Hugo then. :3

@ Koko: I am ALMOST sure they had a calico Oranda at vvvvv, in the same tank where I got Spicey and where they had this silver Oranda. I wouldn't bet my life on it though... But the tank is empty now. I was just there a couple hours ago to pick up a buddy Platy for our newest fish.

Oh oh! A blue oranda. My favorite.:D

Ah, ok, so this is called BLUE Oranda then? Ha, you learn something new every day!

So all Black Moors will turn orange eventually? Kind of cool though when you think about it. Mine is still "black" after 16 months, but we will see. vvvvv has a HUGE Black Moor. That thing is probably 7 inches, rather short tailed, and looks FAT.

Yes, it is. The color change depends mostly with genetics but food intake and lighting spectrum also manipulate the outcome.

The aquatics store near us had them once, they were apparently this amazing liquid bronze colour, he's going to call me if they come back in stock again ;)

The aquatics store near us had them once, they were apparently this amazing liquid bronze colour, he's going to call me if they come back in stock again ;)

:druel :druel :druel Now THAT would be a gorgeous fish! I've never seen a chocolate ranchu in person, and I don't think I've even seen a photo of one. But that is totally going on my list of Goldfish I Must Have Someday. Just want to type it again: chocolate ranchu. Sounds like an exotic dessert, doesn't it?

Annie's sorta chocolate. She was pure black when I got her, but has since lightened up.

I guess I wouldn't really call her chocolate, but rather a black Ranchu, that's bronzing.

heres a pic of one :o

b12.jpg

Koko, this fish is so cute! But I'm kind of confused, is bronze chocolate or is it two different colors? Is bronze called bronze at all?

Hugo is now at least 1,5 years old, do you think he will keep his blue color? Same with my Black Moor.

Must ... have ... chocolate ... ranchu. That pic is SO CUTE!!!

number20121, this is just my personal opinion, but in my eyes, chocolate is a little "richer" in coloration than what I think of as bronze. It truly does have a brownish tint to it. A black fish with a lot of orange coming through, or a black fish in the process of changing to orange, is a little bit different. More bronze than chocolate. If that makes sense.