I just got a new goldfish today.

This is what it's supposed to look like:

5989c.jpg

5989b.jpg

This is what came out of the box:

DSC02773.jpg

DSC02781.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

I was so excited when I got the box today. Now I'm all anxious and worried about that weird small white thing near his right eye. In a quarantine tank now with a decent light, the fish looks like its got a few white breaks(?) on his fins like it was bumped a bit during shipping (see dorsal and tail fins). There's also some redness overall, probably from shipping stress. I'm most concerned about the small white mass near his right eye; there's a lot of redness around it. It doesn't look like a parasite; it doesn't look alive. After looking at the photos for a bit, I'm thinking it might have been a piece of the wen that got torn during shipping or something. I've added aquarium salt, but what else can I do now? Should I take tweezers and pull that small white piece off, or try to push and fit it back in, or superglue it, or what? If it is wen, will whatever part it came from grow back? I'm going to keep his surroundings dark/dim for the next couple days as he adjusts. Thanks.

Don't pull it off. I don't believe it needs to be done like that. Leave the fish with the salt treatment and let it recover. I suspect it simply got stressed. A lot of fish do get stressed during transport. I had a few goldfish arrived with red streaks but in the next few days, it subsides gradually.

For your reference, a torn wen can still grow back. You can encourage that with protein rich foods.

Whoops! Don't forget to keep watch your water parameters and do water changes as necessary.

Is it okay if I just feed it sparingly with medi-gold? I don't know if there's enough protein in that. Does that mean that after healing, it'll still have that small white piece hanging around, or will wen grow over it or something over time? Thanks.

Definitely,give it time-and DO NOT pull anything offexactly.gif

are you sure it's not a nostril flap? the wen looks to be in tact to me.. i'm with the others on this, please don't pull it off, the fish is already stressed and needs to be qt'd with prazi & salt.. that should be enough to fix any problem shipping/stress and most parasitic problem a fish can experience..

:Congrats: he's a beautiful goldie and i believe with your loving care, he will become the fish you first that stole your heart when you ordered him.. :heart

Thanks! A nostril flap was my first guess when I first noticed it, but then I didn't see one on the other side of his head and his blue background pictures didn't look like he had any nostril flaps. I emailed the guy I got it from and he thinks the fish got bumped during shipping and it looks like a sort of wen infection. He looked kind of rough when I removed him from the box and placed him into a quarantine tank. It makes me wonder if his box was rolled and tossed around or something. I won't touch him. :) I'll keep the tank salted and feed medi-gold though. How long of a shelf life does prazi have?

we don't have the prazi here in australia that you do there, but i'll get someone to visit your post and answer your querie on the prazi..

i do think that he will clear up to be as good as gold :)

oh poor fish!

is your prazi opened? I assume prazi has a long shelf life. Just check if you don't have any dates on the bottle. I think at least one year it keeps :)

Poor guy does look like he had a rough time of it. Give him some time. Don't feed him to soon and he should recover.

:Congrats: on your new pet.

I think the different lighting makes it look worse than it is, a bit of salt, clean water and darkness and I'm sure he'll heal up fine :) Give him some time to settle :) It might be that those lumpy bits are just how he is, Red (the crown pearlie in my sig) has a pretty lumpy face, but in the photos of your fish you can't see it because the bright light makes him look all white. Maybe it's just me but I can't see any flapping wen, just the red mark which could definitely have been done during shipping. Keep the lights off for now to destress him and see how he is in a few days under some proper tank lights. Keep us up to date with him ;)

Edited by devilduck

:exactly Give him some time. Cover his quarantine box for a few days so it's dark and keep the water pristine and he'll be fine. Don't feed him though. :D He should get better soon.

I don't have prazi pro or aqua prazi at the moment; I do have some potassium permanganate and metro-med though. I also have another med that has prazi as one of its ingredients, but I heard it's better if it's not mixed with other stuff. I'll have to ask my brother for some prazi. When should I start feeding him? I was planning to feed him later today, but then I saw that some of you said I shouldn't feed him for a while. I think he might have been fasted before the shipping. The little white piece doesn't look loose, more like it was lodged between.

Now looking at that last picture, it looks like he does have a nostril flap on his other side. Maybe the red area is just a little swollen or the red color made that other white flap more noticeable?

I would wait at least 24 hours and then only offer one pellet at a time. Also don't feed more then 3 or 4.

poor guy hope hes fine now looks like bruno chinned him

Hi DesertRayne,

If you plan to quarantine with prazi, please use the pure prazi stuff only. Do NOT attempt to use other meds that may include prazi but also include other unnecessary ingredients, most notably antibiotics. You don't need the additional meds to battle the flukes which is precisely why we're treating every new fish with prazi.

When you get your new fish, wait for 24-48 hours. Once the fish appears to have settled, you may start feeding it almost immediately.

sounds like he's going to do well..

also, when you see him in a pic prepped for a sale, they most often photo them on a deep vibrant colour, particularly the white bodied fish.. this is because when they up the contrast in photoshop, the white becomes brilliant white and it looks spectacular.. when we receive them, they look a little dull, but that's how they should naturally look until you get them under the light of your aquarium..

it's a sales thing.. once he recovers and he's had his FULL qt time and he's joined the rest in your tank, he will look a whole lot better..

have you given your new bubs a name yet?

Congrats on your new fish! I'm sure you'll have him back to his original beauty in no time :)

I've been thinking about a name but don't have one yet. He's got lots of tiny red dots under his scales/skin, probably from shipping stress. They look like freckles, but I dunno if I really want to name him Freckles. I might wait until I figure out his personality more, but I heard once that naming a fish might bring bad luck and this might be a favorite fish since I've always admired pearlscales.

I've been thinking about a name but don't have one yet. He's got lots of tiny red dots under his scales/skin, probably from shipping stress. They look like freckles, but I dunno if I really want to name him Freckles. I might wait until I figure out his personality more, but I heard once that naming a fish might bring bad luck and this might be a favorite fish since I've always admired pearlscales.

yes, i can see from the pics you posted the small red blood spots.. like pinpricks almost.. and i agree.. he's obviously had some pretty rough handling the poor baby. but he's in safe hands now and you will love him back to good health.. what are the water params in your qt? the usual, ammonia, nitrAte, nitrIte and ph? and what tier salting are you at? did you manage to find prazi? is his qt tank covered from light? by any chance is the qt tank cycled? all this will make a difference in recovery time.. post back with the details if you can..

Aww :( Poor thing :( rough trip i guess :( Give him some time and some tlc, and he'll be back to his old vibrant self in no time at all (I Hope ;))