Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Squik

Obviously Felt Like A Change!

Seems Podgey decided he needed a change... look what happened over a course of only 3 weeks! All I did was change them from Hikari Gold to Hikari Lionhead. Fyshlyps has gone a VERY dark orange, Marty - no change except he is fatter and Podgey... whoah!

Is this a common thing with food changes??? Only other change I made was to install 'sunlight' lamps around the same time, could it have been that?

podgeywhite.jpg

Wow...that was fast! I'd say it would be the lights, Squik. Excessive light or lack of it is one of the main factors of color changes in goldfish. How long are you keeping the lights on?

blackteles, how long is too long to keep the lights on before the colours start to be affected? i've never encountered a problem like this before...

Holy cow, that was a quick change! Podgey looks just as adorable in white though. ;)

Florissa..after researching the general opinion is 8-10 hours per day. I remember seeing this discussed earlier on a previous thread and after reducing the amount of light to 10 hours per day it was very beneficial to me by controlling algae growth in my tanks. Hope that helps! ;)

I love the colour change... always wanted a white Chu!

I had a look at Marty today and it seems like UV lights @ 11 hours a day is the secret to keeping them black... every lasy skerrick of bronze is gone... he is like a little lump of black charcoal... will try to get pics... he's a beautiful, matt velvety black :heart

Squik, have you noticed a spike in algae growth since adding the UV lights? I would love to improve the lighting on my tank, but I loathe algae.

So cool that the new lights are helping Marty keep his black color!

You could test and go back to the other food, some foods that lack carotene will make fish loose orange and reds :o