Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3-fords1000

Unstable Ph And Cloudy Water

Guest 3-fords1000

Hi all,

Here's the situation:

I did a water change last Saturday because even though the tank was clear the fish were showing signs of stress (fin rot, red sores, etc.). I nursed my fish back to what looks healthy, had the tank looking crystal clear. A couple days later the ph starts dropping. I tried using ph up but that wasn't doing the job so I started sprinkling baking soda in. The ph started coming up to the proper levels but the water clouded instantly when I used either the ph up or the baking soda. I check the ph daily and no matter what I add to the tank the ph won't stay up. When I do water changes I use 5-gal jugs of water because I'm on well water here. I have a Fluval 204 with carbon and ammonia remover and a Topfin 40 in a 40-gal tank with a (from nose to tip of the tail) 8" "feeder" goldfish and a 6" fancy tail. When the tank looked perfect the fish were dying. Now the tank looks like crap but the fish look better.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Crushed coral works great for keeping the pH up. It dissolves slowly over time, keeping the KH high, which keeps the pH stable. You can buy a bag of it at a pet store and then put a couple cups of it in a mesh filter bag and add that to your filter. It should work great.

Otherwise, there is only one good quality chemical buffer that I know of (the pH stuff you're using doesn't work well) it's called Buff-it-up and it's sold at goldfish connection. Here's a link: buff-it-up

I tried the crushed coral which worked... but was far to messy for me :( so If you can find the buff it up I would suggest using that :)

Guest 3-fords1000

thanks for info about the corral. I'll look into it. Any thoughts on why the water clouds when the ph is raised?

thanks for info about the corral. I'll look into it. Any thoughts on why the water clouds when the ph is raised?

I think it could just be because you are adding powder (baking soda) to the tank. But I don't know for sure.

The reason for the cloudiness is cause when the PH went down it caused a Cycle crash.. It would help more if we know your numbers in this tank... But when you loose the PH it causes the BB's to die off causing a crash, making the tank go cloudy.

Im dealing with this right now, the only thing you really can do, is get the KH stable, get the PH up there, but if the fish are showing signs of stress you need to do 20% water change, but dont clean the filter floss out at all, this will get the BB's to grow again and if that doesnt help on the cycle you can buy some stuff like "cycle" to get the bugs going again :)

yes its like koko said the cycle the cloudy water should take a month to clear