Sign in to follow this  
shellbell4ever

Going On Vacation

41 posts in this topic

I have had mostly good success from using automatic feeders./ Worst thing that has happened with my apartment tanks is automatic feeders failing to work.

I've used them several times and once when I went away for three weeks. No overfeeding has occurred. Just in case, I put min. amounts of food in each container.

Now I do prefer automatic feeders that allow you to put precise amounts of food in each individual container over drum type automatic feeders. This is good because I have one tank containing only a single betta and a drum feeder would definately overfeed that tank.

I use mostly fishmate automatic feeders, I've got four of them. At about $20 a pop it's taken me a while to have one for each tank. Now that I've downsized from six tanks to four at the apartment, it's even easier to have them setup when I'm gone.

I have them in use right now on three of my four aquariums at my apartment. Eventually I'd like two fancier automatic feeders for my two boarded aquariums containing my two catfish groups. I am only gone for a week this time, but since I already have the automatic feeders, I figured why not set them up.

My trip is from NY to Florida so I can not come back in between,my cats when I got them were outdoor/indoor cats so I did not want to make them stay in all the time I thought that would be cruel :( They are not known to wander to far from the porch, they hang there all day in the chairs but also come in when the want through the pet door :) So I am not really concerned about them and have left them with the automatic feeders before.

I can not afford to buy 3-5 automatic fish feeders for the 5 tanks I currently have :( My fry is now 12 weeks/3 months and eats the same foods as my big guys now :) and is also on the same feeding schedule so what ever I do for them i will have to do for him/her as well I can let my Daughter watch the Betta's at her place as I can move their tanks with ease :) Right now Hubby and I are just thinking of cutting our trip a bit shorter,it's really not that big of a deal and I would much rather not be worrying the whole time about my goldfish :(

What I need to know is How Long can a Goldfish Go with out a feeding?(if left provided some live plants to nibble on) and what types of plants are known for goldfish to nibble on???

Thanks so much for all the input from everyone :)

Anyone??

I'm honestly not sure exactly how long they can survive without food, but I would not use an automatic feeder if at all possible. As everyone else said, they can overfeed the fish and that would cause more harm than good for sure.

I just grabbed "Fancy Goldfish" and thought I would see exactly what they suggest. They say no not use an auto feeder and that if you are going to be gone longer than 5 days you should have someone feed the fish. Once every 5 days if you are going to be gone a few weeks is good.

Do you think your dad would be willing to do once every 5 days? That would only be twice while you are gone? And there wouldn't be enough food that the water will need changing so I think if you could have him just drop premeasured food in those two times you will be good. Do a big water change before you go, and one when you get back?

Thanks again everyone smile.gif

What would your opinion be on putting all 3 goldfish into the 20 gallon long tank with some live plants and My Sister said she possable would be willing to come once in between for a 50% tank cleaning and feeding on 1 tank smile.gifsmile.gif would that work ???

We have also shortened our trip down to 9 days from start to finish smile.gifsmile.gif How does this sound???Please say this would work...

Edited by shellbell4ever

Why don't you just leave them in the larger tank,and she can either do a smaller w/c or not 1 at all if you'll be gone just 9 days-since they'll be eating just 1x? Then they won't have to stress being moved and have more room. I would not worry too much about going 9 days w/o a w/c-mine went longer than that when I had to extend my last trip :ignore

you would put little Clemmy with the big boys? I wouldn't risk it! Especially if you are not there to supervise.

Why don't you just leave them in the larger tank,and she can either do a smaller w/c or not 1 at all if you'll be gone just 9 days-since they'll be eating just 1x? Then they won't have to stress being moved and have more room. I would not worry too much about going 9 days w/o a w/c-mine went longer than that when I had to extend my last trip

I totally agree! I don't think there is any need to move them. If they are only eating once (which is totally fine), then the water quality will remain good enough that you can make it without your water change on the exact day....

When you move fish you do risk stressing them. Or you risk one of the fish bullying the other. Or sometimes you can take two healthy fish and put them together and one will end up getting sick just because he is not exposed to what the other fish carries.

I see no reason why you can't just leave them where they are, skip water changes during the 9 days, and have your sis come feed once in the middle. I think that would be perfect...

If it makes you feel better I am waiting 9 days on my tanks this week too! I always do my fish tanks on a set schedule Fri-Mon... However, starting next week I am going to be babysitting my friends son Mon-Thurs so I am moving my tank changing days to those days, that way weekends for me are totally free.

So I am feeding lightly this week, skipping tanks that I would normally do Fri, sat, sun then picking up on Monday. Which means it will be 10 days from the previous water change!

Alright then :) Keep my babies where they are, and have Sis feed pre measured food 1 time while were gone :) And skip the w/c ... I feel so much better :) :) The Betta's are going to go stay with my Daughter,The Cats will be ok on the back porch/apartment with Dad checking in on them :) Sounds like a Road Trip in my future :) Look out Florida here I come :) maybe I can even find a cute baby calico tele to bring back home ;) (LOL)

Thank you All for helping me work this out :) :) I just love my koko's Family :)

I hope you get good weather! My mom (in Miami) has been having some nutty storms lately! Apparently it is like a sauna! :stars

Florida is ALWAYS like a sauna in August :bingo:

I'm glad you feel all settled and happy now so you can really enjoy your vacation!!! :)

It's funny, before having lots of pets I never really even worried about leaving. I used to go to New Mexico to visit for months at a time. Now, I can't even leave for a few days without thinking "okay.. Are the fish okay? Is the dog going to have someone home?"...

We are going to the beach for a mini vacation (4 days) and I have to list everything for my mom to do to take care of the pets! lol

My water changes are all done for now except Chase (who gets two changes weekly, used to get every single day and I could NEVER go on vacation). I am going to change his water tomorrow morning before we leave, and feed the fish. Then I'm just going to fast the fish Fri And Sat. Then when I get home Sunday night I will feed them again. So they are only skipping two days. But the water changes are going to be off, because of me rearranging my water change schedule..

Have a great vacation!!!! :)

Back From Florida and am Happy to Report all my finned friends survived :) I Was missing them so bad :( wanted to get in the tanks with them when i got home!!!!!Clean tanks tomorrow :)

Glad everyone is OK, Shell! Good to have you back! ;)

I'm so happy that all went well for you and your fishies. :)

YAYAYAY! That's great! Now if we don't see you around the board for a while is it safe to assume you did just jump on in and you are now a fish?! lol

Hope you had fun!