Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tony

Does Goldfish Food Have Exp. Dates ?

Guest Tony

Hello folk, yesterday I walked into a local pet store just to check out what they have. THen i saw some HIkari food at some unbelievable prices. Then i read the contents and wondering. Do these food have exp. dates ? and how do you read the dates on HIkari food products ? (i think this is kinda stupid :huh: ) BUt i just dun wan goldfishes to eat anything spoiled. If anyone can help would be fine.

-TOny

I am not sure about this tupe og goldfish food, but all goldfish jars should have expirary dates on them. They are located on the cap, the side, or the bottom, in black ink. Does this help?

You usually don't need to worry about the expiration date because the store clerks at your lfs store will take it off of the shelf if it gets close to expiring. :D

Guest Luke Anderson

That will rarely ever happen...its extremly common for fish food to stay on the shelves for years...

most places don't care about anything except that they make lots of money.

You usually don't need to worry about the expiration date because the store clerks at your lfs store will take it off of the shelf if it gets close to expiring.

You usually don't need to worry about the expiration date because the store clerks at your lfs store will take it off of the shelf if it gets close to expiring.

If only that were true! I agree with Luke. In one shop I go to occassionally, there are products that have labels discolored from the sun. They use to be located near the window before they moved things around - about 3 years ago!

Guest PeachesCat

I use Progold. I put a small amount in a goldfish food container jar, that I threw the contents away. I keep the rest of the bag in the fridge - I figure it will stay fresher longer. There is no experation date on the bag.

The Hikari does have an expiration date on it.

It will be small black numbers somewhere on the bag. The bag I just finished said 09 04 (September 2004)

Jessica

Guest kerri_corbett

Yikes, I never even thought that the food would have an expiration date! I guess i should go check mine right now! Also-I just learned that test kits also have experiation dates so look out for those too!

kerri

Also don't buy Hikari off of ebay without asking the expiry date.

I always email seller and ask, and so far everytime I've asked, the food had expired almost a year ago.....and they are still selling it, can you imagine? :blink:

Jessica

Guest Hooker

Is the food bad after it expires?

Guest Hooker

I have a big bag of Hikari that expired last month. Should I throw it out?

Yes definitely throw it out. Stale foods are not only very poor nutritionally but have also been linked to fatty liver disease in fish.

It's best to buy small bags or pots of food so you can use them up quickly and replace them regularly.

Guest Hooker

Floating, have you checked to see if your brain has an expiration date?

Hooker, I feed my fish with Hikari sinking pellets in the mornings and either frozen or gelled live food for dinner (brine shrimp, bloodworms, mosquito larvae or daphnia), or they get fresh peas, broccoli, cauliflower or fruit. I give them something different every day to make sure they get a balanced diet and to give them a bit of interest. :)