Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ladyhill

Need To Switch Tank - Please Help

We rescued a group of goldfish from a carnival as they were being thrown out last week.

I am already aware that I have too many fish for the size tanks I have but I am working on rehoming some of them so please do not make me feel worse about their situation than I already do.

We are moving the fish from a 10 gallon to a 29 gallon tank.

They need to be out of the small tank ASAP and there is no time to wait a few weeks to cycle the water in the new tank.

The water in the new tank is conditioned, and the ph is fine. It has been sitting for over 24 hours.

Can I transfer the fish with their gravel and their old filter (along with the new filter) and the decorations to the new tank now?

Please help me figure out what to do. I have invested several hundred dollars into saving these fish and I am trying my best to make them comfortable.

I would transfer the filter to the new tank now, make sure you have air stones in the old tank running, depending on how long that tank's been up, you can either start to move the gravel over or if the gravel is very dirty I would wait to get them in the new tank then slowly move the gravel in, then after about 24 hours you can start to move the fish and then slowly there gravel.

:)

I would transfer the filter to the new tank now, make sure you have air stones in the old tank running, depending on how long that tank's been up, you can either start to move the gravel over or if the gravel is very dirty I would wait to get them in the new tank then slowly move the gravel in, then after about 24 hours you can start to move the fish and then slowly there gravel.

:)

Thank you koko.

I got the fish on July 3rd and had their 10 gallon set up with everything in it by the 4th.

Will they be okay in the tank without a filter for 24 hours? I'm almost afraid to say how many fish there are b/c I know from reading a lot of goldfish sites the past week that some people get very angry about over crowding. I did not purchase these fish, I just couldn't stand to watch their bags get thrown out at the end of the night as we were leaving.

The gravel has only been in the tank since the 4th or 5th.

I have done water changes but have not cleaned or removed the gravel.

I would take the gravel out completely. If you're overcrowded, gravel/decorations cause there to be less water in the tank overall.

I also wouldn't leave them in a tank without a filter unless you've got multiple air stones. They could suffocate if there's not enough surface agitation.

And no one's going to get upset with you if you rescued those fish. Even if they aren't in ideal situations (yet!), you still saved them. :)

And no one's going to get upset with you if you rescued those fish. Even if they aren't in ideal situations (yet!), you still saved them. :)

:exactly and :welcome.

Ladyhill, I started out with 12-14 rescue goldies cramped into a 1 gallon tank.

If you tell us how many you have we can better help you care for them!

No one will bite your head off for doing your best, or we will hit them with the Koko stick! :wa

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

:exactly and :welcome.

Thank you so much! I have really been stressing out about asking for help since I didn't want to get flamed for not taking good enough care of them.

I only have 1 airstone in there right now. I actually plan on going and exchanging the pump today to get a higher power one with another spot to put another air stone on.

I can't believe that they were just going to dump the whole tank into the garbage. My heart breaks just thinking about it. I figure whatever my fish have now, it's better than what would have happened right?

ugh. I didn't know gold fish were going to be so stressfull!

No one will bite your head off for doing your best, or we will hit them with the Koko stick! :wa

okay. I have 7 and they are adorable and I named them all Fred.

Welcome to Kokos :)

The fact that you're trying to save them and are trying to rehome them is an excellent idea. I would follow Koko's advice. I wouldn't even put any gravel into the tank just for cleaning purposes. It'll be so much easier to clena the tank without gravel. If you do use it add it very slowly like Koko said and if it's dirty don't do it at all.

Fred is a perfect name. :heart ery very cute! Are they regular goldfish?

Ladyhill, I'm glad to know you have a better start than I did.

I love the fact that they are all named Fred. It's quite cute.

Do you know anyone with a pond that would be willing to take some of your Freds?

The fact that you're trying to save them and are trying to rehome them is an excellent idea. I would follow Koko's advice. I wouldn't even put any gravel into the tank just for cleaning purposes. It'll be so much easier to clena the tank without gravel. If you do use it add it very slowly like Koko said and if it's dirty don't do it at all.

When they were tiny (i can't believe how quick they grew, they aren't big but they were TINY and now they are just small) they had really long tails and I thought maybe they were comets but now that they are growing into themselves it seems, I think they are common goldfish. I will try to take some photos of their adorable little faces and then you guys can tell me what they are!

When they were tiny (i can't believe how quick they grew, they aren't big but they were TINY and now they are just small) they had really long tails and I thought maybe they were comets but now that they are growing into themselves it seems, I think they are common goldfish. I will try to take some photos of their adorable little faces and then you guys can tell me what they are!

:D sounds like a plan. Make sure you're doing large daily water changes if not twice a day to keep the ammonia down.

Okay, so they are in their new tank.

They seem pretty happy in there. They are zipping around like crazy and not hanging out at the top.

I have their filter as well as the filter from the 10 gallon going right now.

I also have 2 airstones set up creating a wall of bubbles in the back of the tank. One of the Freds is simply obsessed with the bubble wall. It's so funny to watch.

The current seems a little strong for them but they are all holding their own and not being sucked into the filter or having to fight hard to swim against it. The bottom corner of the tank is calmer and they do have a place to go and places to hide if they need it. I think they will be totally fine with it in a few days as they get a little bigger.

Thank you for all of your help. This has been such a stressful/exciting/rewarding experience. I hope they grow and thrive.

I have been trying to take photos of them but all I get are orange and white blurs! How do you guys do it?!

Okay, so they are in their new tank.

They seem pretty happy in there. They are zipping around like crazy and not hanging out at the top.

I have their filter as well as the filter from the 10 gallon going right now.

I also have 2 airstones set up creating a wall of bubbles in the back of the tank. One of the Freds is simply obsessed with the bubble wall. It's so funny to watch.

The current seems a little strong for them but they are all holding their own and not being sucked into the filter or having to fight hard to swim against it. The bottom corner of the tank is calmer and they do have a place to go and places to hide if they need it. I think they will be totally fine with it in a few days as they get a little bigger.

Thank you for all of your help. This has been such a stressful/exciting/rewarding experience. I hope they grow and thrive.

I have been trying to take photos of them but all I get are orange and white blurs! How do you guys do it?!

That's goodnews. You can put a piece of floss around the intake of the filter. Like the kind you use to hold ceramin media in the filter and kep it on with a rubberband. This will keep them from getting sucked into the strainer of the filter. As for the pictures it takes many many many takes to get a good picture, and then you should put the camera on the sports setting so the camera will capture movement without it being blurry.

Tay is right.

I have NO idea how people took fish pictures before digital cameras became popular.

I'd waste so much film I don't even want to think about it.

That aside, for the longest time I had a little square of fish net stocking over the filter intake. I didn't want T.F. to get sucked up! I can't believe he, at any point in his life, would have fit in there, when I look at him now.

Thank God you saved the Fred(s). Welcome to KOKOs.

Tay is right.

I have NO idea how people took fish pictures before digital cameras became popular.

I'd waste so much film I don't even want to think about it.

That aside, for the longest time I had a little square of fish net stocking over the filter intake. I didn't want T.F. to get sucked up! I can't believe he, at any point in his life, would have fit in there, when I look at him now.

They aren't at risk of getting sucked up, it's more the water coming back into the tank combined with the bubbles from the airstones that are pushing them around. I watched them like a hawk for the first hour they were in the new tank to make sure the filter wouldn't eat them lol

I've tried using my digital point and shoot as well as my nikon d50 and am having no luck at all! it makes me sad. This is the best I have right now, it was caught on my camera phone. That cute little doggy is Tango.

38405_410244477476_668942476_508546.jpg

Tango looks like a sweety!

I used to have to hang a filter off the front like that! hehe.

The Freds are so small! I'm sure they appreciate the room.

I commend you for saving them!

What a story!!thank goodness for people like you :) I believe your doing all you can for all your little Fred's :) (that's just too cute)I like the look of your current tank (what size is it?) your Fred's must be thrilled with all the room they have now :) Congrats on the wonderful job rescuing these 7 little one's :) And Welcome to Koko's ...before long you will be getting better at taking pic's of fast moving little Fred's :) :) looking forward to seeing their cute little faces :) i usually take about 100 to get a few good ones (LOL) ;)

What a story!!thank goodness for people like you :) I believe your doing all you can for all your little Fred's :) (that's just too cute)I like the look of your current tank (what size is it?) your Fred's must be thrilled with all the room they have now :) Congrats on the wonderful job rescuing these 7 little one's :) And Welcome to Koko's ...before long you will be getting better at taking pic's of fast moving little Fred's :) :) looking forward to seeing their cute little faces :) i usually take about 100 to get a few good ones (LOL) ;)

It's a 29 gallon. The floor/size of the apartment and my wallet can't support any larger than that otherwise it'd be bigger.

They seem to really like the new tank but they all hang out in one corner that has nothing interesting in it and I have no idea why...

I can't wait to get some better pics of them. One of them that I call "Big Fred" has changed color and is growing faster than the others. He's so cute I want to snuggle him. (don't worry, i won't, but i might let him nibble at my fingers during feeding time)

Tango looks like a sweety!

I used to have to hang a filter off the front like that! hehe.

The Freds are so small! I'm sure they appreciate the room.

I commend you for saving them!

It's the filter from their 10 gallon. I figured it was better to switch it over for a bit since it would have some bacteria or whatever in it...

Tango is the bestest. I also have 2 cats and a parakeet lol All of them are rescues.

:D sounds like a plan. Make sure you're doing large daily water changes if not twice a day to keep the ammonia down.

The photos are up in the general discussion forum for now b/c I didn't know where to put them. Any guesses? I'm assuming they are all commons since they were carnival fish but Big Fred just doesn't have the same shape as the rest of them...

Well done for rescuing them! They are so tiny right now I wouldn't fret bazillions about the recommended gallon per fish rule because I think they will be happy in that tank. What I'd do is keep them in there and invest in some more filtration when the next payday comes by. Once they have grown a bit you can start rehoming into ponds where they can swim to their hearts delights :)

Good luck Freds!