Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

Problems

[0]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[0 ]Nitrate level?

[7.6 ]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[7.6]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[api master test kit, drops]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[70's, turns out the new thermometer I bought is defective so I need to exchange it]Water temperature?

[20gal long, feb 2010]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[rena xp1, 250 ghp]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[always once a week, however, more often b/c of cycling.]How often do you change the water and how much?

[one, < 3"]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[nova aqua+, prime, micro-lift special blend]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[saki hikari, peas, broccoli, 6 days a week once a day]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[no]Any new fish added to the tank?

[salt @ 0.2%]Any medications added to the tank?

[tail starting to fray/shred/rot/something, have another thread on that here]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[stuck to the filter twice. yesterday and just now found him that way. about 10 mins later I then found him wedged between the glass and the intake, not getting suctioned this time, just wedged in. He is seeming to have more and more difficulties with the currents in the tank. I've turned off the air pump so both bubblers are off - thought this would help him so he wouldn't have to fight the currents? I feel like he is getting weaker! He is also aimlessly floating around the tank. It's like he's asleep and is unaware that he is floating around. I just don't know what's happening! I'm so upset over this...I want him to be happy and healthy!! Any help much appreciated. :cry I just had this feeling to wake up and turn on the light, I'm glad I did b/c that's when I found him. It's still a bit early for me, I wanted to wake up at 8 not 5am so I'm so afraid to go to back to bed with the possibility of Howard getting stuck to the intake again. :cry What should I do?????? This isn't bottom sitting, but will the prazi help?? I honestly feel like throwing meds at him just b/c I'm so clueless as to wth is going on. But I'm NOT going to do that, I just want to b/c I feel so helpless. :cry]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by Martha

Just wondering, how long have you had the salt in there for? That's the only thing that stands out to me at the moment...maybe bring it down to 0.1%? Some fish don't like salt particularly if this has been in for a while.

The only other thing is how long were your filters off for? I know you mentioned they were off for a while a bit ago. Is it possible something's grown in the filters? Did you do anything different to recycle your tanks like clean the filter media or did you just plug them back in?

Do you have any ammonia or nitrites in your tapwater?

Just trying to push the sides of the picture out a bit to find the uglies :)

Hopefully between everyone we can figure this out and he'll be back to his usual self soon :)

Sorry Howard is still not better Martha. :k055: Sarah brought up some interesting points about the filter and the salt level. I'm wondering about anything different you might have done before he got so weak, this 'micro lift special blend' I know it is supposed to be very good but didn't Howard feel better before you added it in? I seem to remember you just started using it?

oh Martha I am so sorry you are having problems. maybe, while you figure it out, you can find a way to rig up the intake with some sponge? Either into the intake or behind it where he always seems to get stuck...? do you already have a pot in there? try adding a few so that you can make a barrier against the current. Is there a way you can turn down the air bubbles? I feel that the extra oxygen is always helpful for a weak fish - maybe just plug one of them in?

Hope you can figure this out!

That is a good point about the Special Blend. If that was something different, it is possible Howard has reacted to it. It sure does stink and I have a hard time believing the goldfish don't smell that.

When I have a fish in this shape I find a breeder box or a colander floating in the tank can really help. That way you can keep everything running, but have the fish in a safe place to keep from getting stuck in the filters.

I am so sorry he isn't feeling better.

Oh no Martha I hope things turn out better soon k055.gif Maybe he tried to get unstuck so much that it's just made him weak for a bit? He might just need some rest to regain his strength. You should try a breeder box or try and get things to block the current like suggested IMO.

Oh Martha I am so sorry to hear this :(

A weak fish need's your support for sure, if there's anyway to block the intake like some craft canvas, or sponge,if not maybe the breeder box or colander will help till he regains some of his strength :)I do hope you get to the bottom of this asap :) Otherwise I'm Here for moral support when you need it :)

Thank you for your kindness and the help Devilduck, Caitie, CFG, Amy, ETF, Shellbell. :grouphug I'm just so sad and clueless. :cry1

I'm going to hold off on the micro-lift for now and see if he gets better. I had to take my Mom to some doc appts today so I used rubberband around the intake with some filter floss. I don't know how to turn down the air pump though. :undecided: Do I need to purchase some kind of regulating valve? My filter isn't adjustable either so I did contemplate on buying some plants like Sakura uses for the current in her tank but I just didn't have time to look around the store.

I got home a little while ago and he looked so terrible. His body was curled and his swimming was way off. But after I've got my bed side light on and fed him a broccoli floret he is uncurled (Yay!) and swimming a little better.

The new thermometer I had was defective, the mercury wasn't rising. I'm not sure if it is the cause, I really doubt it as I checked and the glass was solid. I was thinking maybe he was poisoned? idk for sure, but it seems like such a sudden change for him to be so weak as to be stuck to the filter like that.

I'm wondering if a full water change would be good or just do a 50% tonight and another 50% tomorrow? I want to get whatever is in there out but I also don't want to stress him more than he already is.

I am also wondering if I should go ahead and start the prazi? He isn't bottom sitting now, probably b/c I just got home and he's been fed, but maybe he's so weak because of the flukes??

thanks again everyone :heart

Poor little guy.. regarding the poison, I think that is a good idea, if not the thermometer - did you maybe add a new deco piece? hmmm a fake plant? I don't think you have gravel... so... leaking deco is all I can come up with now. Maybe the Micro-lift thing got too much heat exposure? Especially now with the crazy heat everywhere.? Does it say the expiration date on the bottle?

I think that if your pH is nice and matched and you get the temp perfectly matched he will be happy with a large w/c. Especially if it is some poison. Does he usually get very stressed during w/c? My fish love it.

Btw for poison you can also add in a bag of well rinsed active carbon if you have it - that will wipe all out.

Maybe wait until tomorrow for the Prazi - I am not sure flukes would cause a curled body (?)

Good luck and fins crossed!

I do think a large water change is in order. If a fish suddenly develops a sickness or strange behavior, I instincitvely do large water change. I have had two fish get poisoned before and it can kill them rather quickly and does cause some pretty scary/sickly behavior. Just to be safe I would do a water change. Anytime a fish is curled into a C shape it really scares me. How is he now, Martha? Do you have any pictures?

I hope he gets better soon. I agree with the others about doing a large wc now if you can. :)

I don't know how to turn down the air pump though. :undecided: Do I need to purchase some kind of regulating valve?

Yes this is what you need:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17337/si1316901/cl0/leesplastic2wayvalve2pk

ugh. w/c did not go well. did 100%, dechlorinated, pH matched, temp matched...basically perfect. put him back in and he was breathing so heavy. I freaked out and started the w/c again, took about 40% and refilled. added back in 0.1% salt which seemed to make him a bit better, not a lot but the breathing wasn't as heavy.

what can I do about the currents? turn off the air pump? is the splash from the spray bar enough until I can get the air control valves?? If I turn them off he'll be w/out the bubblers for 14 hrs...I can't get back to town until 1pm 2morrow. D:

As soon as I turned off the light he got himself wedged between the intake tube. It is protected by the filter floss, but still he shouldn't be getting stuck back there. When I moved the intake to let him out he sat nose down in the corner.

He has now gone to the other side of the tank and is in the corner hoovering.

I am a mess you guys. I can't take this, what is going on?? :cry1

I don't know what to do, I just don't know.

The area of his tail has not gotten worse, but I think I see fraying starting on the other edges... He also got red from being stuck to the filter this morning on his gill cover (tiny round red spot) and the arm part of his pectoral fin (the part closest to his body in the socket is red).

I did not feed him much, just the small broccoli floret. should he get some saki hikari too?

all results at zero, not even a slight ammonia. I have seen his poop. little bits from the broccoli yesterday, they were like a light green.

I'm not good at dealing with sick pets...I'm a mess...

I very much appreciate all the help though, if I didn't have you guys I'd be crying in the corner by now.

http://www.bigalsonl...tic2wayvalve2pk

oh yes, about this, what side of the anti siphon valve does it go on? toward the air pump or on the other side toward the bubblers?

I just wanted to come by and say that I'm so sorry Howard Moon is so sick. I really hope he stays strong and pulls through. I'm sending positive thoughts your way, Martha.

Oh no he got stuck again??? Maybe you should get a divider temporarily and cut off access to that part of the tank where your filter is??

like this:

newbackground013-1.jpg

where the black is a temporary divider and your fish is on the opposite side of the intake?

he wasn't stuck to it this time, just behind it. He's not by it now, but I am nervous about him getting stuck later. I don't have a divider, or any idea of what I could make one out of? :idont

They have plastic mesh at most craft stores.

You know, this stuff?

Maybe stick a sponge to the intake tube? That might reduce suction AND it's flow, but I've never had to do that so I'm not sure.

I'm sorry little Howard is so under the weather. He's a cute bugger.

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

yea that would make a good divider. I already have the intake covered with filter floss so I'm not worried about the suction from the filter, just him getting himself stuck behind it.

Okay, you are three steps ahead of me!

I'd rig it up like ETF has shown. I just don't know how well it would stay put, so maybe you could affix it with suction cups?

Ok sweetie....you have the filter covered...with a nylon or somthing like a sock...this is good! Double check the levels out of the tap and tank! I know you know this but make sure u r doing the whole 5 mins worth! Truly sounds like ammonia!

Perhaps a water change is worth it.......maybe levels are off or you had a bump!

If nothing else a sick fish loves fresh water....I had popeye and infection in wen and clean water did wonders!

Pop me a note here or on FB......you got my number love!!!!

thanks Stephanie! :hug I appreciate you stopping in! I've tested the water and I'm at all zeros. :undecided: I don't think my kit has expired b/c I did have some ammonia just the other day. I actually lost the progress I had made in cycling by not plugging the filter back in after a water change around the weekend of the 4th. :doh11:

He is doing well atm, staying on the left side of the tank away from the intake and the bubble wand and air stone. I really need to get those valves so I can lower the power coming out of the air pump, it's just too much for him right now.

Since he has become so weak I wonder if some bad bacteria did build up in the filter (it's a canister) and has made him ill?? I don't know what route to take here...I know he needs 2b prazied but I'm wondering if some med food will help?? He is eating great, he loves to eat! but I'm not going to give him anything medicine wise until I get the green light.

I'm so nervous about going 2 sleep...staying up all night watching him isn't going to do either of us much good but I feel bad going to bed leaving him on his own. ...omg I'm such a weirdo but really I love him like I do my dogs...except we don't cuddle :P

I've calmed down a bit now that he is calm but I really did freak out and get myself really out of control and upset. :krazy:

Okay, you are three steps ahead of me!

I'd rig it up like ETF has shown. I just don't know how well it would stay put, so maybe you could affix it with suction cups?

If I didn't live so far away from stores that sell these type of things I would have gone by now. Sometimes, actually almost all of the time, living out in the country is frustrating. :gcar:

I know the hardware store here doesn't have any material like that so I have to wait until 2morrow when I can drive out to get the air control valves from the pet store and check out some crafting places. :undecided:

You could also try the mart that starts with wall's craft department.

Edited by Iheartfishies1172

You could also try the mart that starts with wall's craft department.

I know they are open right now at 12am but I can't go right now. I have to wait until 2morrow. :( I hope hope hope Howard will be a good boy and not get himself stuck in an otherwise bare tank while I'm asleep.

http://www.bigalsonl...tic2wayvalve2pk

oh yes, about this, what side of the anti siphon valve does it go on? toward the air pump or on the other side toward the bubblers?

You hang the control valve on the aquarium back, then you run some tubing towards the air stone.

So basically you have the air pump and somewhere near there you have your check valve to stop water from syphoning towards the pump. Then up at the top of the aquarium you have the control valve.

I just found the exact same one I use so it really gets installed easily and just sits at the top of the tank.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17337/si4295730/cl0/dualairflowadjuster