Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cynders

Diatoms Or Green Algae?

So after the assault on the brown algae after awhile these round green spots have begun showing up on the back of the tank and I tried wiping them off and it was pretty hard to do so. When I did it came off as green. Is it some green algae starting or is it something else?

Oh no! It sounds like green spot algae. That stuff is nasty because it is sooooo hard to remove! :o You have to scrape it off with a straight-edged tool being careful not to scratch the glass. I don't think this is something you want in your tank...

How long do you keep your lights on each day? What is your watts of light per gallon on the tank? Do you have any live plants?

Oh no! It sounds like green spot algae. That stuff is nasty because it is sooooo hard to remove! :o You have to scrape it off with a straight-edged tool being careful not to scratch the glass. I don't think this is something you want in your tank...

How long do you keep your lights on each day? What is your watts of light per gallon on the tank? Do you have any live plants?

Oh no! I usually have it on for 12 hours a day. Should I keept them on less often? I'm not sure They look like those tube lights that came with the hood. Great. :rofl I think I prefer the brown algae to this.

You could try decreasing the amount of time the light is on. Or you could try decreasing the watts per gallon. If you look on the light bulb it should say the watts on there. Then take the watts divided by the tank size, and that will give you watts per gallon. In a unplanted tank, I don't think you really need more than 1 watt per gallon. Or you could try adding some fast growing live plants that would (hopefully) out-compete the green spot algae for nutrients.

Those are just a few things I can think of, maybe someone else will have some ideas too :)

I totally agree with Sakura. The best way to stop the green algae is to either have the lights on less, or reduce the wattage.

I loathe algae. I would LOVE to have better/brighter lights on my tank, but I don't have an algae problem at all and am too afraid to rock the boat. Algae SUCKS.

You could try decreasing the amount of time the light is on. Or you could try decreasing the watts per gallon. If you look on the light bulb it should say the watts on there. Then take the watts divided by the tank size, and that will give you watts per gallon. In a unplanted tank, I don't think you really need more than 1 watt per gallon. Or you could try adding some fast growing live plants that would (hopefully) out-compete the green spot algae for nutrients.

Those are just a few things I can think of, maybe someone else will have some ideas too :)

I'll try reducing the amount of light. :D Thank you for the wattage tip! That'll help out a lot. Maybe I can buy them some anarcharis, that stuff grows like a weed and they liked munching on it so maybe that'll help out some too.

I totally agree with Sakura. The best way to stop the green algae is to either have the lights on less, or reduce the wattage.

I loathe algae. I would LOVE to have better/brighter lights on my tank, but I don't have an algae problem at all and am too afraid to rock the boat. Algae SUCKS.

It does indeed suck! This stupid green spot algae is an absolute PAIN to get off!

Just a quick question, can brown algae eat nitrates? I'm at the point in my cycle where I should be seeing nitrates, but they're always 5 which is what my tap is.