Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Polluting My Tank Is Harder Than I Thought!

Alright so I have started my fishless cycle of my 2 new HOBs - in a 30ish gallon tub. I am using the fish flake method as 1. I cannot find pure ammonia 2.Might as well find a use for those flakes!

So I started yesterday putting a pinch of food 2x day. This morning I tested for ammonia after 'breakfast' and nothing! ZERO ammonia! WHY is it only popping up when you don't want it?! :wall

So now I upped my invisible fish feeding to 2pinches every time. When should I expect ammonia to appear?

The ammonia won't appear until the food has actually started to rot so it can take a day or two to actually show up in the first place. Keep feeding it as you don't want a delay when the ammonia starts to show but the more recent flakes haven't broken down yet.

yuck - okey great!

then once I have ammonia I keep feeding right? just like normal fish?

Yup, think so :) I've never done a fishless cycle so I'm just going by reading but I guess that's it!

great! my first special invisible fish! yey!

I had thought that rotting food wasn't a good way to get ammonia in your tank? Wouldn't rotting food produce more than just the ammonia? Fish excrete ammonia and normally there isn't anything rotting in the tank. I dunno. Be careful that you don't grow some nasty fungus in there or something!

yea i know - it is less good then the pure ammonia way! :doh11: but there is no way to find that here - i looked everywhere!

maybe what I do once they are cycled is run the UV Sterilizer in the tank for a few days - that should get rid of the nasties.

What are you naming your imaginary fish?

"Please" and "Cycle"? haha.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Maybe you should have a third invisible fish named, "Now."rofl3.gif

can I pretend Please, Cycle and Now are small Kois instead of goldies? feed em a bit more?!

Still no ammonia readings?

Oh wait... haha I just noticed you started this only yesterday.

Edited by Tinkokeshi

I got my 3 imaginary Kois hmmmm tuesday morning. will test the ammonia in 2. but it seems the flakes have all piled up in a corner for now.

Just be patient Federica, believe me that ammonia will show up. :)

What I did to make sure nothing nasty grew in the tank is that once the food starting to become fuzzy I would remove it with a turkey baster. Since you keep adding more in then it will keep building up until the ammonia shows. But it does take a few days.

great idea edith on removing it :mytank1: