Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

So Here Is The Plan Of Action

Boyfriend is back! :alc finally we can go get the 30gallon tank for Dr.House. :whatjust:

so my plan:

Because Dr.House seems a bit more fragile (especially after her recent fight with dropsy) I decided I will be doing a fishless cycle in her new tank. Therefore, she can stay in the 20gallon hospital tank (with 2xdaily water changes) and not have to fight with the high ammonia etc. With the fishless cycle I feel more confident in letting the ammonia rise - so I have a nice strong cycle in there.

I will be running 2HOBs in there - giving 20liters more than 10x flowrate. (I found the Eheim ones the other day - boy are the ugly tho! :ignore )

Anyways, I will go look for ammonia today as well.

Can anyone tell me how much ammonia I will have to add daily? how do you know? I think it has to read 2ppm right? Can i push it to 3? or will that just take ages to cycle?

I will be putting a buddy with Dr.House. Will go check at the LFS on Thurs if I find anything cute - so I can QT it while the main tank cycles. :bounce

Instead of using that stuff I would just seed the tank from the fitler on the 20 gallon. Then your tank well be ready in a few days.

it's not cycled!!! :cry1:cry1:cry1

the only tank totally cycled is my turtle tank - and the main tank WAS cycled but with the itch it had a cycle crash - and I don't really want to introduce ich with Dr.House...

Ahh ok. I have had success with a product called Cycle. And I think there are some others out there like it. But not cheep.

You have to use pure ammonia not the stuff you get at the grocery store. I have no idea how much you would use.

I have also heard of people using a piece of shrimp and feeding the tank as if fish were in it.

Also if the tank he is in is not cycled why wait to move him? I am sure the cycle has started so use the filter and some of the rocks if you have them to help the cycle along on the new tank. More water you have more lead way you have to keep your fish healthy.

I would use the water & filter from the tank House is in & put him in the new tank & let the cycle continue.

I found clear ammonia at walmart before. You have to make sure there is no additives or fragrances.

As for ammonia I think it depends on the brand. Personally I figured out based on MY ammonia how much to add per gallon but those calculations may be different if your brand is different.

You can actually go to around 4ppm in a fishless cycle. And just leave it be until it starts going down. Once it starts going down you want to keep it around 2ppm so keep adding enough back in to get it around there.

Therefore, she can stay in the 20gallon hospital tank (with 2xdaily water changes) and not have to fight with the high ammonia etc

Hopefully that will work and it will also be good to be doing those 2x daily water changes since you keep having the battle with Ich..

Well basically now she is in a 'hospital tank' - that gets 2x daily water changes - she is a tiny fish - the ammonia never really climbs up more than 0.10... If I were to cycle it I would have to wait for it to get to around 1 right? so the cycle bacteria gets fed? hmmm... she is really sensitive (very prone to dropsy) so I am not really confident to want to risk that.

I will be going to the store in 5. will keep you guys updated on how things work out. Bf and I have been looking to upgrade the 40gallon main tank too - to a 70gallon. so maybe I will get the 70gallon and she can have the old main tank. we shall see :heart

thanx Hidr I used cycle before the ich outbreak and it did work good - then it all crashed as the 0.3percent salt was just to much for it I think :doh11: they don't sell it in switzerland tho - will check what else I can find. I think they sell something called Nitrivek - its like a liquid you shake and keep in the fridge... could I use it in a fishless cycle? I might just have to use the shrimp method (if I cannot find pure ammonia), but that could get bad bacteria blooming too no? :ignore

Oh good news - I think I found her a friend! :heart I called the goldfish importer and they said they have some real cute tri-color butterflies or red butterflies (they get all their fish from China I think) :bingo: So I am just waiting on pics now. Am getting one her size - she is only about 7cm :yeah:

Hi Sue - yea I will look for the ammonia - nobody understands what I ask for here - and the only dude that has it is the BEEP dude at the fish store who refused to give it to me last time - BUT let's not go there again. :doh11:

The ich is in the main tank - Dr.House doesn't seem affected. I will see how she does. should I treat her with salt as in QT just in case? I am always afraid of salting with her as I think that is what triggered the last dropsy :idont she is real cute tho!

thanx Hidr I used cycle before the ich outbreak and it did work good - then it all crashed as the 0.3percent salt was just to much for it I think :doh11: they don't sell it in switzerland tho - will check what else I can find. I think they sell something called Nitrivek - its like a liquid you shake and keep in the fridge... could I use it in a fishless cycle? I might just have to use the shrimp method (if I cannot find pure ammonia), but that could get bad bacteria blooming too no? :ignore

Glad Dr House will be getting a bigger home and a new friend. :)

Just a warning if you use the shrimp trick, I've done that and it literally will stink up the whole house with the smell of the rotting shrimp. :( I've cycled my tanks with the Cycle product and adding in a pinch of fish flakes every two days. It went very well. I can't help with the ammonia since I've never used it.

Oh wow a 70 gallon sounds awesome. And a little tank of her own would be cute. I would use the Cycle stuff too. It did work for me as well. it helped my painstakingly slow cycle along.

Check my signature for fishless cycling.. if you were here in Australia I would have just sent you some, the little tub they sell will cycle about 100 tanks :)

Daniel has been plugging this product lately and says it's really good, Microbe-Lift Special Blend. About the ammonia, shake the bottle to see if it suds up, if it does don't buy it. You want the ammonia that doesn't have the soapy agent. Here is the link to Koko's fishless cycling.

thanx everyone!!! :D

so what we decided with bf is to get a larger 'main' tank and then move Dr.House in the 40gallon with 2visually impaired babies his size :heart It will be going in my bf's office as he also has glasses- so I thought that would be funny! 'Room for the visually impaired' :rofl

we went to the store and they could get the tank we like in 6weeks (painstakingly LONG for impatient me but, oh well).

so now we have just one choice left:

85gallons or 132??? the price difference is quite a bit. and for the larger one I would have to get 2 canisters extra instead of 1. so for now we are leaning toward the 85. which is already quite a big upgrade from my 40. oh and both tanks are GORGEOUS!!! :heart (oh and in the smaller one I imagine w/c would be way faster!)

Thanx Edith for the heads up. I have to call around some more for the ammonia as that would be the 'cleanest' way. but I will do fish flakes otherwise. I will try and find the cycle on Ebay or something.

Could I cycle the 2HOB filters for Dr.House's tank in a rubber tub so they are ready for the move????? the tub would be about half the size of the main tank... could it work?????? Cause if I have to wait one month for the larger one I would like to at least have the filters cycled by then. Hmmmm...

Thanx Martha! I also saw that Miracle Blend everyone is talking about! Maybe I get my mom to send me some hehe

oh you know I posted the wrong link for that, that sends you to p*tco but I wanted to post the link to amazon. :doh11:link

thanx martha!!!

You know "cycle" never worked for me but many others have said it does. However, I agree with Daniel. The microbe lift products have been very good in my experience. Never used them on my personal tanks, but used some diff products of theirs at the pet store and I was very very impressed when I did use them!!

And any of those refridgerated bacteria products tend to work well. My only worry of putting new babies in with Dr. House is that they really should still go through the prazi and salt routine and I'm not sure how Dr. House will do with salt.

Can't wait to see the new tank!

Amy! DONT worry! the 2new babies are getting a killer QT before!!! Not going to risk anything to little precious House!!! Ever since she is out of the main tank she has really put on some muscle! finally not only her fins are growing! :whatjust: will get some pics of her tomorrow. :gfish:

Thanx Sue, I am ordering the MicrobeLift as we speak. My mom can add it to the package with MetroMeds, Jungles etc :rofl poor woman!

I couldn't find the ammonia - made bf call all over but Nada! So, I set up my two new HOBs to a large tub (about 30gallons) and am running them there as a fishless cycle. I put in about a pinch of fish flakes (at least now they have a use :rofl ) - is pinch a good size? it might be a bit more than I would feed 3fish. then I just keep feeding? (hope it doesn't stink too much as I put it in BF's office :joke )

I also CANNOT wait for the tank!!! I think we will go with the 'small' one to start - I don't want to be too overwhelmed. I just need to find a good deal on a CristalProfi 1500 canister and I am all set :panana

I agree, the refrigerated bacteria supplements work very well. Here's the one I used, and overnight I had nitrites in my tank after weeks without them.

https://www.fritzzyme.com/fritz-zyme-700/

I would do the fishless cycle like everyone else said, and when you get the ammonia to 3ppm or so put that in, and it should cycle quickly. :)

so far no ammonia - but I am feeding the invisible fishy!