Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tofu

Rubbermaid Bin

I just bought a 12.5 gallon rubbermaid bin that I'm going to use to age water for my 30 gallon tank's water changes, and/or as an emergency goldfish home should I need it. I know that you're supposed to rinse/soak these bins a few times to make sure they don't leech anything into the water, but how exactly do I go about doing that? Could I fill it up, let it sit for 24 hours, then dump it out? I'd like to do a water change soon, so hopefully it will be ready within a few days. :)

Edited by tofu

I just bought a 12.5 gallon rubbermaid bin that I'm going to use to age water for my 30 gallon tank's water changes, and/or as an emergency goldfish home should I need it. I know that you're supposed to rinse/soak these bins a few times to make sure they don't leech anything into the water, but how exactly do I go about doing that? Could I fill it up, let it sit for 24 hours, then dump it out? I'd like to do a water change soon, so hopefully it will be ready within a few days. :)

I would fill it up like you said and let it sit. Is it the clear kind of container?

I filled up mine with hot water and then dumped it out. I think that should be fine letting it sit.

I used a rubbermaid for moving Edgar since it was almost an hour long drive and I wanted her to have an airstone. The night before the move I cleaned it using the distilled white vinegar method with hot water, then rinsed it and scrubbed it with my hands until the smell was gone (you will have to use someone elses nose because yours is unreliable after using the vinegar to clean it)

Yeah, it's clear. I bought it brand new so I don't think I'll use vinegar. I let it sit for about 30 hours, filled with water. I think that'll do it. It doesn't smell or anything, and the water is still clear after 30 hours. And I want to do a water change tomorrow too.

I would us the Vinegar too even though we might not smell much of the plastic, i know there can be oils and such when they make containers like that...

JMO :)