Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Squik

Antibacterial Powder

My gorgeous boy - Marty the Moor - developed furncles (boils) after a friend decided the 'pat' him to find out if they really were 'velvety'... don't start me :doh11:

He was great for a while after a round of salt and Mela/Pimafix in QT for 3 weeks... but after them bursting out again when I put him back in the main tank (just about scoured it clean - boiled the gravel and all beforehand) I have now started him on antibacterial food.

I dissolve the powder in a small amount of water then soak his Hikari Gold pellets in it until they fully absorb it. He's on day 3 one small feed a day - how long/often do I need to dose (I've lost the instructions I was given for it).

What is the name of the antibacterial powder and when did these furncles start showing up? When your friend pat him and then they came back after quarantine?

Don't know the name of the powder - was given to me by an aquarium owner in a small container - and I can't get in contact with him at the moment. I know it's a generic antibacterial powder that you mix with food - pale green in colour.

A friend picked him up and 'patted him - he sloughed off his entire slime coat about 48 hours later then a lump formed just after his gill plate on his lateral line, so I popped him into the QT tank - uncycled, airstone, no filter - 12 hourly water changes and wipedown of the tank. Turned into a furuncle (columnaris?), burst, then two more came up. I left him in QT for 3 weeks with Mela/Pimafix and salt - alternated - and it cleared up completely.

Put him back in the main tank - after a thorough cleaning of gravel, filters... the lot and a 100% water change - the other 2 giys loved it :). Another lump came up a week later in the same spot as the original so I started him on antibac food... starting to clear up after only 2 days.

Usually you need to give antibiotics for at least two weeks, it would be good to know what type you have though.