Sign in to follow this  
seheap

The Veiltail

11 posts in this topic

Ok Guys! Here is the newest breed to be added to our list of Goldfish of the Month! I hope you enjoy reading this, and please, if you have pictures, we'd LOVE to see more of this breed from our wonderful members! :)

Goldfish of the Month: Veiltail

redveiltail.gif

*Photo taken from Goldfish Guide*

The Veiltail (or "Philadelphia" Veiltail) is one of only two breeds of goldfish that originate in the United States (the other being the comet). A defining characteristic of Veiltail goldfish is the long, double caudal (tail) fin with little to no fork. In the best specimens, the ends of the tail should look like they were squared off with a knife (in the past, some exhibitors of the Philadelphia Veiltail have been accused of doing just that!) The caudal fin length should be equal to at least the length of the body of the fish. The anal fins should also be paired and relatively longer than other types of goldfish. The tail of the Veiltail is often held at a downwards angle, making it truly look like a veil. The other essential characteristic of the Veiltail is the extremely high dorsal fin. The height of the dorsal should be equal to at least the depth of the fish's body. Of all the other breeds of goldfsh, none have as high of a dorsal as the Veiltail. This is especially useful to keep in mind when determining if your fish can be called a Veiltail. While many other breeds have long broadtails, a goldfish can only be called a Veiltail Oranda, Ryukin, or Fantail if it has a high dorsal which at least doubles the height of the fish.

The Veiltail is thought by many to be the epitome of goldfish in the United States. It was originally developed in Philadelphia around the 1900s from a mutant of the Ryukin or Japanese Fantail. Successful crossing of this fish with Calico and Black Telescopes established a strain of Veiltail Telescopes shortly thereafter.

sox1stplace.jpg

Veiltails are less hardy than even other fancy goldfish, and therefore should never be over wintered in outdoor ponds. Care should be taken whenever they are placed in ponds as rapid temperature drops can lead to severe stress and loss of these delicate fish. They are also much more susceptible to disease and parasites. For these reasons, the breed has just about disappeared in the United States with very few people successfully keeping and spawning this fish. Most examples seen in the hobby are 'mutants' appearing in broadtail Ryukin, Fantail and Oranda breeding programs. However, descendants of the original Philadelphia Veiltail that were exported to Germany and England are being raised successfully, and can be credited with keeping this breed existant.

Veiltail.jpg *Picture courtesy of RanchuGirl*

Though the Veiltail is a double-tailed fancy goldfish, and the standard "10g of water per fish" rule should be followed, because of the delicate nature of these fish a better stocking rule of about 1 fish per 15g should be considered. Crowding can cause stress and result in a fish that does not grow it's fins to the full potential of this breed. Care should be taken with water depth as extremely deep tanks (more than 18in or so) can cause the dorsal to bend over. While this does not hurt the fish, the aesthetic appeal of the high dorsal is lost if it is bent. Shallow waters will also help promote deep body development, as will diet and under-stocking.

Veiltails, being goldfish, will eat almost anything you offer them. For a list of suitable foods, see the "Goldfish Food" section of this forum. Care should be taken to never overfeed your fancy goldfish as they are notorious for digestion inefficiency. Fasting of all fancy goldfsh at least once a week is highly recommended. This allows the digestive tract to clear itself.

OFFICIAL Goldfish Society of America VEILTAIL STANDARDS:

Veiltail.jpg

*Line art courtesy of Merlin Cunliffe (Australia), taken from Spike. Used with permission of Peter Ponzio, author.*

"The Veiltail is an egg-shaped fish which possesses very long finnage. The depth of the body should be greater than 2/3 the length of the body. The caudal fin is long, double, and should be 90% or more divided; the caudal fin is ? to 2 times as long as the length of the body, with square lobes showing no apparent forking. The dorsal fin is very high and approximately ? or more of the depth of the body. The pectoral and pelvic fins are paired, should be long, and well-matched. The paired anal fins should match the pelvic and pectoral fins in length and shape. The Veiltail can occur in any of the scale types common to Goldfish: nacreous, metallic, or matte. Acceptable metallic colors are orange, red and white, bluescale, ancient bronze, and white. Nacreous color includes bi-color, tri-color, solid red, or calico (with or without spangled scales). Matte coloration includes pink, bi-color, or tri-color. The finnage of the Veiltail can be crossed into any double caudal-finned goldfish breed. These crossbreeds are commonly called Broadtails to differentiate them from pure Veiltails. Some examples of broadtails are: Broadtail Moors, Broadtail Oranda, Broadtail Pearlscale, and Broadtail Ryukin."

For more information on breed standards, see:

Goldfish Breeding and Genetics Smartt, Joseph. 1996: TFH Publications.

Goldfish Guide Matsui, Yoshiichi. 1991: TFH Publications.

Spike's Goldfish Guide Ponzio, Peter. 2007 Published by the Mid-Atlantic Koi Club. Available at http://goldfishpages...21111121111.htm

GFSA Standards: http://americangoldf...new_page_12.htm

heartpump.gif My dream fish. Very nice write up. Thank you so much.

Very nicely done. Thanks for the information.

These are what my son wants in his new tank. Very nice thread.

Edited by Miami Joe

very cool and such a pretty fish :) any more pics from ppl that own this kinda fish :D

Edited by Haileykins

Hi

This is my first post.

My name is Alan Kvasnik and I live in Minnetonka MN and own Green Canvas Interiorscape.

My interest in goldfish began several years ago when my company was contracted to build two asian themed ponds and gardens in a Minneapolis office building lobby, one pond has ten Koi, 5 random goldfish and 10 Bristol Shubunkins and the other is a mix of about 40 fancies. Each pond holds about 1500 gallons.

My next acquisiton is 25 Philadelphia Veiltail babies, about 2 inch. Google led me to this article to learn more. The author states that deeper water levels over 18 inches cause the dorsal fins to bend, please explain further?

Thank you

hiya alex! welcome to kokos.. nice of you to introduce yourself.. we have a welcome new member's area where you can post a thread where we will be happy to welcome you officailly to koko's.. you can find it by clicking herewelcome new members ..

Hi

This is my first post.

My name is Alan Kvasnik and I live in Minnetonka MN and own Green Canvas Interiorscape.

My interest in goldfish began several years ago when my company was contracted to build two asian themed ponds and gardens in a Minneapolis office building lobby, one pond has ten Koi, 5 random goldfish and 10 Bristol Shubunkins and the other is a mix of about 40 fancies. Each pond holds about 1500 gallons.

My next acquisiton is 25 Philadelphia Veiltail babies, about 2 inch. Google led me to this article to learn more. The author states that deeper water levels over 18 inches cause the dorsal fins to bend, please explain further?

Thank you

Hi Alex! And :welcome

The reason why I stated that deep water levels cause the dorsal of this delicate fish to bend is because in my experience I have seen this happen with many Veiltails. Because their dorsals are so tall, they are also necessarily more delicate in the top half than other fancy goldfish. The weight of deep water will eventually cause the top portion of the dorsal to bend over. The third picture above shows a good example of what I mean by "bend over."

Hope this helps!

Sorry about that, I must have misread. :oops: We would love to see pictures of your VT when you get a chance. Hope this thread answered your questions.

oh no!.. i got it wrong :( apologies... welcome alan..