Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
x18999

Non-Florescent Lighting

Hi all, I want to know if anyone has lighting for their aquarium that isn't florescent tube. I'm thinking about adding more light because right now all i have is a 15W light for a 20 gallon. Since I will be planting the tank, what kind of additional lighting should I get? I cannot fit another florescent housing to the tank, since there is no space. Thanks.

The problem with incandescent lighting is that it tends to overheat the water. You could look into LED lighting, though -- I've seen some very narrow strips before.

You can also consider lighting the tank from the INSIDE -- there are very cool LED fixtures that are intended for aquarium use that you can add to your tank. I have a red up-light on my bubbling volcano, for example. Lighting up airstones, bubblers, etc. is cool, or spotlighting an ornament or plant.

Personally when i had a planted tank I loved the Compact lights from Coralife. They didnt over heat and you got alot of light out of them... :)

Hey, thanks for the replies, I think that I will try LED fixtures. Although i do have a question, are the compact lights your speaking of a regular light bulb fixture koko?

Here you go...

16 watts of LED lighting for a 30 gallon tank. Better than the 55 watt CFL I had before - and it doesn't heat up the tank.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3Pf6nPqWk&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3Pf6nPqWk&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3Pf6nPqWk&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

One of things you can do and many people do if you go with a soil/gravel tank like you and I have been talking about, is place the tank in front of a window that gets indirect sun light.

I have a kichten light mounted to the wall behind my 29 gallon to give it more lighting. (The deeper the tank the more lighting they seem to need.) I also ran my 20 gallon with 15 watts in front a window for a long time and it looks pretty good.

To do a low light, low tech tank you only need 1 to 2 watts per gallon. And there are even some plants that would do just fine in your lighting. You may have less you can put in the tank but most tanks I have seen look best with just 2 or 3 kinds of plants in them. I have three in my 29 tank for the most part (a few others that are dying off and I well be moving today) but three really stick out when you look at my 29 gallon. I have more then that in my 10 and it just looks messy to me. Its the tank I am going to tear down today and redo with soil/gravel in hopes to perk it up.

Good luck

PS Oh forgot to mention there are lighting set ups that carry 2 tubes. I had one on my 20 gallon for a while. It is on my 29 gallon. It uses 2 15 watt lights and would be perfect for your tank. Not to costly I don't think.(about 50 bucks I think is what I paid.) Ordered it cause they never have stuff like that here in town.

Beancurdturtle, I am considering an LED fixture, I like its efficiency and small heat generation. Hidr, it is hard to get sunlight into the tank so I will have to rely on artificial light. If i get a double tube fixture, would I need a new hood?

I have a question that might seem foolish.... The flourecent bulbs that are from corallife. The 10,000k and the artic blue, are these bad for our goldfish? (would the brightness hurt them in any way?) Im seriously considering getting these asap to replace my homedepot lights on thhe 110 tank

Hey, thanks for the replies, I think that I will try LED fixtures. Although i do have a question, are the compact lights your speaking of a regular light bulb fixture koko?

There are Retro fits and the whole light thing. i used to have one on my 30 gal planted tank :)

http://www.marineandreef.com/36_inch_Compact_Fluorescent_Retrofits_Power_Compact_s/290.htm

http://www.marineandreef.com/36_inch_Compact_Fluorescent_Fixtures_Power_Compact_s/283.htm

I have a question that might seem foolish.... The flourecent bulbs that are from corallife. The 10,000k and the artic blue, are these bad for our goldfish? (would the brightness hurt them in any way?) Im seriously considering getting these asap to replace my homedepot lights on thhe 110 tank

It wont hurt the fish, just make your tank blue in color. those lights are normally used in SW tanks for the coral and for plants :)

Thanks KOKO, i didnt want to burn out their eyes or something. :doh11: Have I told you that I appreciate you? ! ? !

Hi all, I want to know if anyone has lighting for their aquarium that isn't florescent tube. I'm thinking about adding more light because right now all i have is a 15W light for a 20 gallon. Since I will be planting the tank, what kind of additional lighting should I get? I cannot fit another florescent housing to the tank, since there is no space. Thanks.

Be careful when getting into plants that require higher lighting, as with most of them you will need a CO2 set up as well, for them to flourish.