Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

Black Moor- Bred To Be Aggressive?

So I'm an hour and a half away from my city, bored waiting for mom to get out of work.. what other logical thing for me to do at 8am this morning but to go check out the fish in this area? (I'm literally sitting thirty feet away from the Gulf of Mexico and two miles inland is freshwater.. The pmart in this area had a tank loaded with about 30 black moors all from the same hatching. I had been looking at them and talking to the woman who worked there (the same woman who thought a 7inch oranda with sbd was "cute" doing "tricks") and she explained that all of the moors are aggressive. She went on to say that they are brought in from MY city! Is it possible to bred aggressiveness into a fish? I know that betta are naturally aggressive, but I even saw it myself, they had 3 adult fantails in the same tank being CHASED by all these tiny 1inch moor babies. The woman even said that "sometimes we have to take the ones that arent black moors into the back because they get sick" no wonder woman! I explained how to feed peas for their floaties. But I am very curious if Black Moors tend to be more aggressive than other fancies?

I can only tell you about my experience, never seen anything like that in a petshop but my black moor (who is the smaller) attacked my new telescope. HE TRIED TO BITE HER EYE OUT! :yikes

He's in a small tank so that she can settle in without him, I'm hoping it's territorial but now you've got me worried! :krazy:

Hopefully someone will come and clear this up.

my blackmoor (tiny bit of a thing) killed my pearlscale by peaking out her scales :doh11: . however, i read it is normal for some fish to bully sick/weaker ones...?

however, now she has totally calmed down - and is the most friendly towards me.

My black tele is the picked on fish.

My black moore (more a teleschope now) has never shown any aggression. Hmmm wonder why someone would say that? Guess it is anouther case of a pet store employee having no clue.

yea, I mean i dont THINK they bred them to BE aggressive. that is just silly. however, each type of goldie has a different character and personality.

so maybe it depends on that particular line? Like maybe these are inherently aggressive/semi-aggressive but perhaps Texana's breeder's moor's fry are not as contentious?

I've never heard of the theory this person has mentioned, it absolutely makes no sense. My black telescope is one of the sweetest (yes, sweetest) fish I've ever had. I normally don't use that term for my fish but in her case it's the truth. I think it's all in the personality of the fish, maybe even it's previous living conditions that have something to do with it. But I've never had one fish that stayed aggressive after becoming acclimated to it's tank mates. This person needs a refresher course in telescope behavior.

-Dennis

I agree,Dennis-my blacks are very sweet and docile :heart

Right you are Susan, and I forgot to mention that she is a black telescope turned gold...lol

-Dennis

LOL,There are lots of us girls around here that have colors other than those we were born with :ignore:rofl

heh :lol1

Another example of a little fabricaion on the part of a store employee methinks ;)

It would be like saying all blondes are low intelligence or all redheads have fiery tempers :o

No fancy fish breed are any more aggressive as a species than any other. There will be random aggressive fish but not whole categories :)

Matter of fact I have bred black demekins/moors for many years now and they have all -every one- been so gentle...all my fancy fish are gentle -the only aggressive one I ever had was one baby who was not getting enough food. He had to live alone to be fed up and was then no longer aggressive at all.

There are also eye picker fish and side picker fish and bully fish sometimes but these types cross species.

What you were seeing was most likely breeding behavior where male fish of any kind will chase larger plump fish because they look swollen with eggs. This is a natural thing and looks more aggressive in smaller overcrowded tanks like store tanks.

It could also have have been hyperactivity from cramped conditions, stress, parasites and underfeeding.

I don't think there are any goldfish that are bred specifically to be aggressive, people are not naturally aggressive either, it's often a result of circumstance or history though you will get a few exceptions. Shop tanks are often overcrowded and that encourages aggression, kill of the weakest so there's more resources for the strongest. The black moors may have been smaller than the fantails, but if they're healthier they'll be the bullies regardless of size. Don't be put off black moors because of the behaviour of one tank ;)

well. thankfully, i don't have a bully problem at all in my tank.. got blackmoore's, orandas, fancy, tele's and fantails.. all living happily together.. they get pushy at feeding time, but other than that, no probs whatsoever..

my most placid are the blackmoores.. paul & david.. they're too cute to be dangerous! :rofl

Thanks everyone! Once again the pet stores attack rolleyes.gif they were probably hungry and stressed from not having enough room and since the store had just opened I dont they the fish had been fed yet. I wasnt sure about goldfish behavior together since I only have one exactly.gif

My Marty is the sweetest (and not too bright!) thing ever. He just potters around bumping into things or follows FyshLyps around.

My problem-child was Podgey, for the first week her chased Marty and FyshLyps until they turned tail (pardon the pun) and punted him a few times... he soon got the message and has been fine.

Moors aggressive? Pfffttt... :)

My new moor is the one getting picked on :( I hope she gets a little umph and bumps heads with Java.. I was watching them really close, Romeo chases Java away so thats probably why Java doesnt mess with Romeo, but Ava is gettin picked on now!

my black more is quite dosile he is the one who usually breaks away from the group and does his own thing he has never shown aggrestion im planning on adding another goldie soon so i hope there is no fighting as all the others have been together from babys i did have a bit of aggrestion from my r/w oranda but i started giving him more food and he stopped

Yeah there are pix in my blog "it started at the fair" of Java literally body slamming and t-boning poor Ava..

See i think its silly when ppl say a certain breed is a aggressive, cause thats just stereo typing them. I have had 3 Ranchu's and all were very peaceful and slow except my new on Jupiter, hes like a speedy golf ball... not slow at all :)

i have had once fish years ago that would suck the eyes on other fish, so I had to get rid of that fish...It all just depends on there personality just like human :)