Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

When Rehoming Goldfish

True :) I hope it works out for you to get a bigger tank through that Pet*co deal, that would be really awesome for Edgar and it's such a great deal! I bet she would love all the swimming space. :9

I'm looking at buying a 55 gallon tank during the sale, and I found a stand on CL in my area for only $40! Of course there's still the cost of filtration and a light strip, and all the extras. But between the sale and CL, it really cuts the costs down for anybody looking to upgrade!

Even if we cant do the Pet-co thing right now, I'll be checking CL often, theres always 55gs on there. My best friend lives in Kansas.. he would give me his 55g for free if he lived closer, we were talking about it last night. It would be cheaper for him to buy me a new one than ship it and the supplies D: (I've been trying to get him to start it up again, he used to have a goldfish-ish thing he named Alien)

Alien was born in a opaque drum of water plants. The plants were kept in Andrews shed and he never opened it until he needed a plant, the plants were in there for 5 months before he opened it. There was a fancyish looking "thing" that had one small eye and a telescope eye. It was red and white and it had only 3 fins, the one on top, the fancy flowy one in the back and one side fin (olord I am horrible with anatomy <whats sad is in almost every thread involving fish parts I point that out). But alien lived for about 7 years in Andrews 55g and he had a few other fancy fish too.

Anyways, by Tuesday I'll be getting a reply (probably) from all of the places I had emailed about finding Edgar a new home. unsure.gif

If you're getting a new tank, get a 55 gallon and not a 40 or 46 gallon. There is more water in a 40 than a 30, but not much more surface area. The 55 gallon would have a big upgrade in terms of surface area, and space. If you're going to upgrade, the 55 is the best choice. I had to think about this myself, since I've got a shubunkin too. :)

If I can I'll get her into a 55g. We dont really have the wall space for it but I'm not closing the option of rehoming her.. she has plenty of swimming room right now because I put all her decor/bubblers/airstone/plants against the back of the tank and I split it since singles only rarely use those for resting/hiding anyways.

Yeah, I had plants in my tank but my fish completely ignored them!

Out of curiosity, how big was Edgar when you got her?

I just have to say that this fish is already not just living, she is thriving for sure! No fish with colors that stunning isn't thriving.

I think the problem with a tank for Edgar(ina) is not waste dilution as much as space. I imagine 30 gallons with weekly water changes will be enough, especially if you get a bigger tank, but I think it's more important to measure up a tank for swimming room for single-tails rather than volume. A lot of tanks these days are long and narrow, and a fish potentially 12-15" long would have trouble turning around. I know I wouldn't like to keep a fully grown single tail in my 24 gallon because it's long and narrow, my 40 gallon bowfront is more square so they'd find it a lot easier to turn around in it, theoretically I could also have two in there because there should be enough dilution and they'd both have access to the same swimming room. I'd try and get a tank that's at least 20" by 40" so you know she can swim up and down and turn easily, height is not as important, and work out the gallons after that. I think floor space of the tank is the constriction not the volume. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense...it'd be a shame to rehome Edgar but we all know you'll do the right thing for your fish :) I think she'll be ok in the 30 gallon for a while yet :)

I agree with sarah. I have a 40 gallon bowfront and it LOOKs way larger than the 40gallon longs.

My tank is the deminsions in my sig, (lol right now my kitten is chasing edgar under the tank) It takes Edgar 4 to 5 strokes depending how lazy she feels to turn around when it comes to depth. She takes 10 to 13 strokes across the tank, and usually she floats up or down but when shes diving its only 3 strokes and shes at the bottom.

That 12" depth worries me a little, she'll potentially reach 15" and have to pirouette to turn! Maybe you can look for a tank or a similar volume that's squarer? Or a larger volume that's squarer, square tanks tend to have a much larger volume to footprint ratio, so it'd take up a similar amount of space while being bigger, my 40 gallon isn't that much longer than my 24 gallon, there might be 3-4" in it, but it's deeper. I would be ok keeping one single tail in my tank and there really isn't that much difference. I keep the 24 gallon on the stand for the 40 gallon and you can see how much space there is around the sides, not much! The 40 gallon's a Juwel Vision 180 if you want to look into dimensions etc.

I'll be looking into it :) I'm glad I have more options than I thought originally. Also, tofu, she was probably 5-6 inches when I got her in Feb. now shes 7-8?

So the Florida Aquarium Department of Animal Husbandry emailed me today and asked me if Edgar was healthy and for pictures of her. Well that was an easy supply list to give them since I have over 600 pics of her lol. I also asked them if they knew of anything I can do as a citizen to stop goldfish being given as prizes at the florida state fair, and explained how embarrased I am knowing what I know now that our state supports it. Hopefully they have good news for me. I <3 Edgar, but if they do have a better place for her to live I'm going to let her go and be happy (and hopefully with other fish).

not to mention that if she's at the aquarium, you can go visit her... and tell people "That's MY fish!" :D

not to mention that if she's at the aquarium, you can go visit her... and tell people "That's MY fish!" biggrin.gif

I dont think they have goldfish on display as they are not native.. I know they have breeding programs (even though they claim to be not for profit) and I do believe that's why they had asked me for her pictures. Ugly deformed fish= not for breeding? I dont even know if they have goldfish, even as breeders. I figured they will know plenty of contacts in the conservation area who know good places to rehome goldies since they are a threat to the native environment if released.. but since it was the Husbandry office who emailed me in reply, who knows what they are planning? Whatever happens I trust fish people before any strangers on CL/petstores, they can run full salt and freshwater aquariums with reptiles birds and some small mammals.. They should know a thing or two about goldfish, or places that will take good care of them. I'm not letting her go to fish farms either because I dont want her ending up in a murky old pond from someone on CL who couldnt get a goldfish for cheap. One fish farm actually advertises locally on CL... its all about $, I'm all about if my fish is going to live and be happy.

It is so cool that they responded. Wouldn't a display with goldfish and why they shouldn't be kept in bowls be brilliant? Fingers crossed!

It would be awesome, but at the same time, the florida aquarium only displays native species to the state and surrounding waters.. so chances are very low that they'll take her for display. Unless they have a section I dont know about thats "threats to the environment" featuring pythons in the everglades and goldfish in the canals, channels, and lakes.

ok everyone I got an email today from a professional pet sitter who also owns a 180 gallon goldfish pond, she has two black moor and 3 other fancy goldfish. Her black moors had also bred (she has 25 fry alive) so I'm assuming that means theyre being taken care of enough to breed healthily. I emailed her back explaining that Edgar would be faster than the other fish and might starve them for food unless she already has a solution for that. Then I got another email from a man who has a 10/12 foot pond with 2feet deep of water thats covered in water lillies and has a waterfall, provided very basic information about how hardy single tails are and said that their water is very well taken care of. He also explained that he has had fresh salt and pond fish his whole life.

ok everyone I got an email today from a professional pet sitter who also owns a 180 gallon goldfish pond, she has two black moor and 3 other fancy goldfish. Her black moors had also bred (she has 25 fry alive) so I'm assuming that means theyre being taken care of enough to breed healthily. I emailed her back explaining that Edgar would be faster than the other fish and might starve them for food unless she already has a solution for that. Then I got another email from a man who has a 10/12 foot pond with 2feet deep of water thats covered in water lillies and has a waterfall, provided very basic information about how hardy single tails are and said that their water is very well taken care of. He also explained that he has had fresh salt and pond fish his whole life.

:o That's great! I think Edgar would be most happy with the 10/12 foot pond. With a depth of 2 feet she'd be safe from birds too. I think she'd love it. Can you visit her from time to time too?

ohmy.gif That's great! I think Edgar would be most happy with the 10/12 foot pond. With a depth of 2 feet she'd be safe from birds too. I think she'd love it. Can you visit her from time to time too?

I replied to both, the first that emailed me was the woman so I had replied to her before the man. If she has a solution for the difference in type then she has first dibs. I also emailed the man and told him that she had emailed me but if she coldnt come up with a solution soon or if she decided against it then I would like to come visit his pond (which he pre-invited me to come look at already). Both of my emails generally asked for any filtration information, bird protection, snake protection (my grandma used to have a fancy in a 50g pond and it was eaten by water moccasin), and their experience with the species. (unless that information was already provided)

I think I misread the email name so the first may not be a woman oops.gif Whoever it is we will be meeting soon. After getting more information from them they seem very well educated on their fish and have had the moors for over a year, the moors being the newest additions (other than the fry) from what I understand. They also have 3 fantails and 1 comet. The pond is filtered and has lillies for the fish's protection, the owners havent had any problems with birds. Their moor babies after research they believe to be fantail now b/c of color changes ohmy.gif they even offered me a few of the fry. I'll try and identify the type if I can unsure.gif. I'm going to miss Edgar, but I think she'll enjoy the company and space much more than what we're providing.. upgrade from bachelorette luxury house to a mansion with a family! Woohoo. exactly.gif . Its one of those things where you gotta ask not what your fish can do for you, but what you can do for your fishy heartpump.gif

You are so noble! Is Edgar going to the pond for sure?

It'd be cool if you could have a couple of her adopter's fry, then you'd both have excuses to see each other's fishies!

For sure if she doesnt go to this one there are 3 more people emailing me.. I am still struggling with the concept of giving her up but she will be happier there than alone in my little tank! I already put the plans in motion for either tomorrow or Monday to take her to her new home. Just waiting for the final reply for address and time information.. I will be taking her there myself. Its one city over from where I live, about 30minutes to a hour. So I plan on using a tupperware drawer full of her tank water to transport her. I am not sure if I'll feel like taking some of the fry. If they are Comet spawn (I'm not sure how many comets are in the pond but for sure there is one) then I won't be taking them in, if they have double tails then I probably will, it'll all depend on how smoothly everything goes with Edgar.

Edited by EdgarTheFish

It sounds like you found the best possible option and I love that you might have some little fry to help ease your saddness. Keep us posted.

Awww I'm sorry you're giving her up but I'm sure she'll be very happy in her pond. Hopefully her new owner will take pics of her and let you visit :) We still send photo and video updates of Halfpint to the girl we got him from.

As sad as it is, just think of all the room she will have! ;) I'm sure if she could talk she would be very grateful to you for all the care and thought you have given her. She is a real beautiful fish, something anyone would be proud to have in their pond! ;)

Edited by Amber