Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

When Rehoming Goldfish

Its really hard to have to rehome a fish! I have been debating over and over whether or not I should rehome my dear Edgar. If I was allowed to own a pond then she would be the first in it! However, I feel she could thrive and live a longer happier life in a pond with more goldies. She's grown a full inch in the past four months and at this rate she'll have her 30 gallon tank outgrown by next year wont she? :( It breaks my heart but I have to do whats best for her. Have you ever had to rehome your goldie?

That is so sad... I am sure she loves you very much!

can you not fit a bigger tank?

I think if I had to rehome a fish it would be to someone I knew very well+that I was SURE would love and take care of my fish like I do.

How big is she now,ETF?

I agree with Federica, you should know the person well and know they will take excellent care of Edgar! After all, she would be better off in your excellent care and a little cramped than in some poorly maintained, but large pond. :)

It's so sad you have to re-home her though. Will your floors not support a larger tank?

I'm not allowed anything larger (my mom won't support a larger tank while I'm at college mondays through thursdays), no ponds allowed in my neighborhood other than the ones that already exist (filled with otters and other native fish) plus its illegal for me to release her like that, and she would not survive anyways.. I'd LOVE for her to go to someone from Koko's, the rescue group I work for has her up for adoption and she'll be put up on the website tonight, and I've emailed the Florida Aquarium asking them if they know of a safe place to rehome her without destroying the native wildlife *hint hint FL Aq* and I emailed a koi and garden association and asked them if they have any suggestions of people with suitable goldfish homes *hint hint* lol.. Thinkin positive here. Edgar will grow and live a long happier healthier life in the environment she's supposed to be in. She was more than likely a pond fish before I got her at the Fl State Fair due to her size and how deep and healthy her colors were.

Edited by EdgarTheFish

It is a hard decision to make :( but thinking about what's best for your fish is what really matters!!I had to re home a bully fish once and he went to a large fishtank in the lps around me and ended up going to a pond :) (so I was told) but it had to be done...recently I decide it was better to give up 2 of mine because I didn't want any of mine suffering for lack of room, since I will not be able to get my larger tank after all :( but my 2 went to my Daughter so I have visitation rights ;)

Also If you re home your edgarina,maybe you can get a couple of fancys :) I know it wouldn't be the same but I'm sure someone would catch your fancy:)

There are some nice fish around.. mom already wants a fancy in the 10g. I told her that the 10g will only be used for a small tropics tank at most.. maybe a school of neons.

Now moms saying to keep Edgar and get a school of those crayola brights colored little glow in the dark fish things for the ten gallon.. The one time I need her to WANT Edgar out (would make it easier for me to let go of her) now my moms saying dont give her away. UGH.

Tell her if she wants you to keep Edgar so badly, then she needs to okay a bigger tank :)

true that!! its 2g per inch of goldie right? Edgar is supposed to be 12-17 inches. so thats 24-34 gallons? so at least 5 more gallons for her minimum.

yeyyyy keep Edgar! she is SUCH a gorgeous fish!!!

I had to re-home my Common Goldfish Mo. In my signature. I didn't have enough room for him, he had ten Gallons. So I posted an ad on Kijiji and a nice lady really wanted her. I could have given Mo to my Aunt and Uncle to put in the pond at their Garden Centre, but there are sooo many Koi in the and they look a little over stocked! So I went to visit her at her house, saw her tank, their house was pretty tidy, whjich lead me to believe she would be tidy with her tank..

So now Mo is happily living with her.. If it makes you feel better, sell to someone close, friendly who could let you help or visit, or someone who is tidy, neat, kind, and caring right when they see Edgar?

I am sorry to double post, but I just read you can keep Edgar?! If your going to keep Edgar than even if you only need five more gallons, look on second hand sites and you could find double the size for only a little bit more $$. Or maybe even a 55 or 40 Gallon?

I hope you can talk mom it getting you a bigger tank!

Oh I wish you could keep her.

I know what a tough call this is. She is a beyond gorgeous fish...literally my favorite single tail around (besides Elvis). And you have given her such a happy life since her fairground days. If you have enough room to get her a bigger tank and mom allows in than she could continue to thrive under your care. But that being said, probably all of our fish, fancies and commons would prefer a pond if they had their choice. I love my tank, but sometimes I feel a bit guilty knowing the life they would choose compared to what I can provide. But that is probably true of our dogs and cats in many ways as well. Our cat has never been outside and never will be. It is far too dangerous. But I know how much he would probably love it. None of that probably helped at all, but I guess my point is even tank life (in a big enough tank) with regular water changes and great diet isn't ideal for any fish, but probably the most ideal out there. Did that make any sense at all?

Yeah Amy I know what you mean.. Live a somewhat boring life in a tank or be eaten by birds, snakes, toasted by the sun, or frozen over.. but the tank is also dangerous in unstable conditions (ie, overstocked tank). She's fine for right now, but I dont want to stunt her either, my tank stock is already 76% stocked assuming the aqadvisor.com is assuming "goldfish" as singletail since they also list fancies and koi. If going by basic rule for commons and comets then she'd be ok in a 20g? but shes going to be the size of a small koi.. so she needs at least 40g if shes going to be 17 inches, and thats just a minimum.. Shes only 7 or 8 inches right now.. its hard to get an exact measurement since she doesnt let me hold her body (yet) hehe

I know that this doesn't change the problem of her being cramped with not enough space to swim in, but I think that stunting is caused by a hormone they release into the water. So if you are changing out a lot of the water, you are essentially removing the hormone so it can't build up and cause stunting. You might be able to do two or three 50% water changes each week and keep her from possibly being stunted. I do two or three 50% changes a week in my tank for just that reason even though I'm not overstocked at all. I just think the more partial changes you can do, the better.

Obviously in her case a bigger tank would be ideal because she will get so big and would appreciate some room to stretch out. But maybe more water changes could be a temporary solution until you either find her a pond or get a larger tank. :)

she's so so so beautiful. <3 Whatever happens, if she stays or if she goes, I hope you take many pictures and videos of her. :)

I do large water changes weekly (50-75%) and my levels are nice and stable with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. My nitrates dont get very high either, theyre always on the low end. mytank1.gif I also give her tons of airation, she has a bubble wand that goes across the whole back of the tank and an airstone. I also have an extra (but about 20 years old) motor thing that makes bubbles, but I'm afraid of plugging it in for too long with its age. Theres also the airstone that I had for the betta tank. Which I could put in there if she seems like she needs more. I think I need a stronger filter though. Mines a aqua tech 20-40.

Oh don't worry, I know you do the required care for Edgar! I did not mean to imply that you don't, I know you are a great fish mom. :) I'm just saying if you're worried about stunting, it is caused by hormone levels in the water. So if you do even more than the one 50-75% weekly change, the hormone levels will be even lower, resulting in the least amount of stunting. Just going "above and beyond" in a way I guess.

It sounds like a great plan. But I have to find someone to help me lol. I was in a car wreck 2 years ago and have no problem lifting or moving heavy things, but I do have to go back to physical therapy once a year because the scar tissue in my neck was not correctly taken care of when I first had the accident. So doing say 12 water changes a month instead of 4, I'd end up in pt every 3 months lol.

Oh my, I'm really sorry to hear about that accident! :(

Don't worry about it, it was only a suggestion, not a necessity at all. Edgar is already getting great care, so there's no need to change it at all then. Like I said I think it's only way "above and beyond" what she needs to stay healthy. :)