Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
onlyjustjona

Bubbles!

When trying to oxygenate your water, is bigger better? Are a million teeny tiny bubbles the same as a thousand larger bubbles? Or does size not even matter?

When trying to oxygenate your water, is bigger better? Are a million teeny tiny bubbles the same as a thousand larger bubbles? Or does size not even matter?

I think what matters is the water agitation it causes. I always thought of bigger bubbles as better because they pop and move the water more. The s maller bubbles tend to sit on top of the water. I'm not entirely sure, but that's my reason behind oxygenation.

thats a good question actually.. hmm, well i get a mix, small bubbles from my filter, and a mixed bunch from my bubble bar. anyways, i think as long as you got some good movement, good bubble, size doesnt matter? though i noticed that big bubbles rise up and pop with a splash, which then adds for more evaporation. at least, thats my case for my tank.

The larger the bubbles, the more agitation, the finer the bubbles, the better they are able to relieve your aquarium water of toxic gasses. Water agitated by bubbles does produce some oxygenation, but water surface area is a major contributor of the oxygen a water mass contains. I hope any of this was of use. I myself am still learning the ins and outs of the aquarium hobby!

I read in Fancy Goldfish that fine bubbles are better because they allow for more water to air surface contact.

I read in Fancy Goldfish that fine bubbles are better because they allow for more water to air surface contact.

Also, smaller bubbles have a more likely hood of being absorbed as oxygen into the water. The bigger ones will never absorb, but are good for the gas exchange. Ultimately as the previous poster said, the surface area and water agitation is more important than the bubbles. It is estimated that air-stones only add an additional 2% of oxygen to the water, if that.

Edited by Jascar

Also a good point :)

This is very interesting, do most tanks even really need bubblers? Or is there actually enough oxygen in the water already?

I wouldn't go without a bubble wand with goldfish. Not unless I knew the exact oxygen level of the water (they make test kits for that) and it was high enough without one. Not only do the fish need well-oxygenated water, but the beneficial bacteria does as well. The carp fish that goldfish have been developed from are river fish who have evolved to the high oxygen content of river water. You should especially have an air stone if you have live plants or a lot of algae, since they consume oxygen when the lights are out.

I also just think that the tank looks pretty with a nice big bubble wand. I have to take mine out of the tank for a few hours to aerate/age the new water before a water change, and it makes the tank look so bare!

i assumed they do because in my other post about emergencies most of the replies encouraged buying a battery operated bubbler.

I think it would depend on how many fish, how tall the tank is, how much filtration there is in the tank :)

I may just get another bubble wand for them then. Another plus side to the bubbles is that the fish seem to like to play in them.

I may just get another bubble wand for them then. Another plus side to the bubbles is that the fish seem to like to play in them.

My goldfish love them. I wouldn't have a tank without one!

Both big and fine bubbles seems to have benefits. It sounds like a combination would be the best of both worlds.

Edited by amoonklein