Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Ich Is Back!

Aw man! I was so hoping it wouldn't be ich again after all :(

I've never actually dealt with ich really so I don't know. But I think I recall hearing it gets worse before getting better. Hang in there fishies!

Keep a note of where you are with the salt, it really helps know how long you have to go and so on. Its not uncommon for ich to bounce back, fish get stressed when new fish are added to their space and ich grabs its chance. I found a few of my fish had resistance to ich the second time round ..and others did not. Anyways the whole tank needs treating again..you can do it!

Keep going and keep track, yes it often gets worse before it gets better especially ich -the nastiest infestation is the first 6 days.

thanx guys!!! Im FIGHTING!!!! :wa

i am at 0.3%salt since thursday. the temp is higher than the first fight - it is at 28C. Fish still show NO bottom sitting - they however do lots of gulping and scratching.

Prazi is coming out today after 3days in - and will readd it in 3days - so eggs can hatch.

Water Parameters are all under control.

Trinket - about the Oranda with the weird mouth growths - what can I do? I tried taking pics but his mouth is still way too small - and my camera doesn't take the pics of the white spots... they do look like miniature chalky stumps.

so today something has changed. they are all 3 very low energy - usually they spend their days racing around and bullying each other. there is no bottom sitting but they are 'drifting' - so maybe they really needed the Prazi and it has already helped them. they look very relaxed. the gulping has gone down quite a bit. now they mostly do the 'yawning'.

Ich spots are still very obvious on the oranda. Sir Archie only has a couple on his tail. Dr.House still nothing.

How terribly frustrating. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Once the ich gets under control I would do prazi again if they are yawning.

I'm sorry you are still having trouble with ich Federica. :hug I hate ich, it is so hard to get rid of in the main tank but you will manage it I'm sure.

I've never had ich with the goldies but when I had mollies and platies I had a really bad case with all the fish just covered with it. My favorite mollie Marilyn (She was white) had it so bad she even had spots on her eyes. The salt and heat and lots and lots of vacumming got rid of it, but it took a while.

Hope it will soon be over for you and your sweeties. :heart

thanx guys! the good thing is that they seem to be dealing with it just fine. I have been soaking their food in garlic to boost immunity. What is really frustrating is that as soon as some spots are gone - others appear :krazy:

Sir Archie actually had a spot on his eyeball last time (fight N1) - it was quite impressive! but so far (touch wood) nobody has any on their bodies - just fins and tails. and Dr.House is still immune it seems.

I have bare bottom and no deco in the tank for now (thank goodness) - so it is easier to clean. Next water change I will scrub down the windows well.

What worried me is the canister - i HOPE that not all the eggs are going nuts in there and it is turning into Ich NYC! :krazy: If this is not fixed in max one month I will have to dismantle and sanitize the filter.

Oh and amy this was only round one of Prazi - trust me - those little buggers are getting at least 4!

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

this is me getting tense!!!!!!!! :wall

so yesterday it seemed the main tank was spot free - I was ready to count my 10 days - WELL TODAY SIR ARCHIE HAS A SPOT ON HIS ANAL FIN!!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOO ticked!!!!!! I have been fighting this for like 2months now!!! so I am off to get PP and am going to do a huge sanitization!!! I have NO cycle in the ###### tank anyways so might as well boil anything I can (xcept the fishies!!!) . I KNEW those little monsters were laughing at me from the filter!!! :madrant

any good ideas??? I am going to take apart the entire canister filter + boil and PP what I can. I am getting the powder form from the pharmacy - so if anyone has any idea on the dosage...? do I also add it in the tank with the fishies? can it be mixed with salt? is it a good disinfectant also for them? and whatever eggs I might have missed on the barebottom floor?

def ticked off - and I noticed Dr.House has a type of spot on a fin - bit not ich like - so for now I am just going to observe.... (especially since she seems a bit sensitive to salting) :stop

Wow this ich is seriously crazy! :o

I have no ideas and I will leave it to someone more experienced, but you and your fish have my sympathies!

just one spot left! I did a huge water change and bleached stuff in the tank. for now i didn't touch the filter tho. I AM however ordering a UV sterilizer as it TOTALLY ERADICATES IT!

I hope I caught all the free swimming monsters and will do another water change as soon as the last spot falls.

fingers crossed guys!

all spots gone! did another large water change! hope this works!!! I will keep the salt an extra two weeks (unless those monsters show up again!)

I did order an 11watt UV sterilizer thingy today tho. for the future I am sure it will be a good idea for the fishies.

Goodness...that is some super hero ich. Hope you got it all!

LOOK WHOS LAUGHING NOWWWWWWW!!! :mytank1:

spots have all been gone for a week now :Congrats: I am like the spot patrol when I take out my flashlight! :stop

nope, no sign of any! I am still doing water changes every 3days because I think that really helped. The salt is still at 0.3% and temp is 28C. And.... TODAY I AM GETTING MY UV STERILIZER!!!! :pp:tbanana

I am sooo going to eradicate any bugs left!!! Once I have it set up - how many days do you guys I think I should wait to slowly start taking the salt out? and how soon can I add Sir Lancelot in?! Is it better that I also add some salt in his tank and make the move at 0.3% salt? so they are protected from any eventual outbreak from the stress? :idont

Can't wait to take down at least one tank! (until I have to QT Dr.House's new bud)

Just wanted to say that the UV sterilizer will be great. I wish I could afford one. They take care of a lot of common parasites, as well as algae, and they make for all around healthier water. :)

Edited by tofu

I ususally take the salt out over the course of a couple of days with two fifty percent water changes. If Sir Lancelot has been in QT for long enough and treated the whole time, watch the tank for a few days after the salt is gone and add him back in.

Congrats.gif on finally killing all of those nasties!

:Congrats: on finally killing all of those nasties!

Amy not ALL just YET!!! But just wait until I plug in my AWSOME UV Sterilizer!!!!!!!! DIEEEEEE COOTIES!!!!!!!!!! wahahahahahaha (evil mastermind voice!!!) :devilangel

OKEY! UV exterminator is ON! I had to get a darn water pump to make it work because I didn't want to do the 'bypass canister filter' thing! It goes REAL slow (its 9W) but my friend at the store said THATS how you kill those monsters! so trickle away my friend!!! At 100liters per hr, I am pretty sure that by tomorrow morning I will only have cadavers left :bath

It is still 0.3% salt. Can I slowly start to remove it now that I have the UV? Lets say like in 3days I start going down to 0.2?

You guys will NOT believe this... ITS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :linedrink

I had just taken out the last of the salt a few days ago + taken out the UV to put in the new QT. Well its back on Sir Archie :sick I really think that he has a real low immunity to it still - I try and feed them high VitaminC foods but... The other 2 are fine for now. I have gone back to salt 0.1% will be at 0.3% by tomorrow and I am re-adding the UV. At this point I think they are also hiding in the filter. :hmm Do I have to PP it? Then again PP doesn't work on ich right? I would have to boil or bleach it?!

This is just SO frustrating!!! :madrant:noway

I am getting 2 new canisters in preparation to the tank upgrade. I was planing to do a fishless cycle on both in a 20gallon hospital tank I have. So maybe one they are cycled I can add one to my current main tank? the thing is that I don't want to get ich in it. How would I do it?! Hmmmmmmmmmm........... :hide:

Seriously...that is crazy! I don't know enough about ich to guide you here. But I will be curious to see what is suggested.

I KNOW!!! How long has it been? like 2months?????? totally insane!!! I have sterilized all but the filter - so I think that if it doesn't improve I will have to do something about that.

:ignore

Federica is there any way you can get a picture that shows the ich? I've often had ich with my tropical tank but it was never this hard to treat and I had about three inches of gravel in that tank. I wonder if maybe it isn't something else you're dealing with. :undecided:

you think? :undecided: I will try and get pics. It is white dots/cysts on the end of his tail + top of his dorsal fin.

trying now.

this is so ridiculous - now they are all gone from Sir Archie :doh11: I swear during lunchtime I saw a couple on his dorsal and 2 on the end of his tail - you see it real good with the sunlight. I noticed them yesterday, but I was so taken with the new babies I didn't focus too much - just thought I had to retreat it. Now I tried with a flashlight but, no sign, he just has a lighter spot where one used to be - like thinner skin. :blink: How long do they usually hang on? Could they have all fallen off? :unsure:

however, now Sir Lancelot has a few dots on his tail - I tried taking pics but you cant see much - also his are right at the end of the tail. Einstein still nothing.

I think it was ich tho - I remember Archie had even a white dot on his eye ball. :doh11: could they still be in really weak numbers and be a 'light' infestation? Should I still go up to 0.3 salt and UV? they seem a bit stressed out again, stress poop, gulping and Sir Lancelot has his dorsal clamped sometimes...

otherwise I thought fungus - but that would probably be more fluffy, and it would have been cured with the 0.3% salt (and I wipe down the walls etc at every water change)...

here is a pic anyways, not sure if you can see the dot on the tail.

DSCN2593.jpg

To be honest I can't see anything on the pic. :undecided:

Do you have anything in these tanks, plants pots or rocks? The ich when they fall off the fish will attach to anything, plant leaves or even detritus. So you need to be wiping down your surfaces to get them out otherwise they will be back.Just doing a wc won't be enough to get rid of them, maybe that is what is happening here?