Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wendy

How Much Do Larger Gf Cost In Your Town

Our big chain stores have their 4-6inches gf for about $27 and the one independent fs had them for $50!

This varies according to the size and rarity of type for the stores I've been in. The big chain stores tend to be about ?15-20 (not far off yours) for the 4" fish (usually orandas, fantails and ryukins), ?30 for the 6" but I've only ever seen one of those (a gorgeous orange oranda when I didn't have space!) wheras the private franchise store sells the 4" for ?25 and the more unusual 4" for about ?30, that's what I paid for Mariko and Red at least. I asked the guy why the pearlscales were more (not really actually surprised) and was told that they actually come in for a higher price, even the smaller ones, so are sold for more in all size cases.

I guess the prices match in both cases just about, which is unusual because most other things in $ tend to be the same in ?...like the new macbook mini is $699 and ?699 and they are not the same thing...

one store sells the 4'' for 15 then the chains sell them for 25. i rarely see any quality big fish. the best ones are the little ones. ive gotten some good fish by getting the babies for 5 dollars. the big ones are always lethargic. and look stressed.

Wow... I got my little Black Moor (about an inch excluding tail when I got him) for R15.00, today that is equal to about $2.00...

The better quality stores charge up to about $30 for larger, high quality fish here.

It really depends on quality not quantity.

At nnnn I got all of my Ryukins there and they were lucky finds. Red was only $20, Romano was free because he was sick, and Denny was about $15. My Rain Garden fish, Ludwig and Alfred, accumulated a total of $120.

It also depends on the store.

The chains around here are probably the same price as anywhere -- the larger orandas are $27.

I got two of my ranchus for $16.99 each when they were about 3 inches, and Chunk was $14.99. At another LFS, they had a to-die-for ranchu recently, really really big (body at least 5 inches, and girthy) and they were asking $80. The owner of that store likes to haggle, though. They also had really enormous ryukins not too long ago for about $20.

Around here the big fish which arent that great of quality and I do prefer small goldies now (since every big goldfish winds up w a problem). Anywho, they run about 35-40 $ here. Now if I take my time looking at the baby fish I have found a few with high quality, like Pharoh and Mongo hard to find fish, those fish were from CA, Jupiter is from here and I got him when He was only 2" long now after 6 months is a whopping 4" long. :o

The 2 box pet stores around here usually charge around $30 for larger goldies.

I have to agree with everyone else, the larger goldfish at my stores are usually around 25-30$, and are in terrible shape.

I'd much rather pay 2$ for a 1 inch fish that I can take great care of, and grow it into a 6 inch+ monster, than buy a sick 6 inch fish that costs much more and has no guarantees.

Edited by tofu

My LFS is nothing like that! It is actually so cheap! Big goldfish don't cost any more than little ones, they seem to price depending on breed, or specialty, like a Red Cap, 3.5 inch or more is still is 8.99 :D Actually I think the little Red Caps are $6 but not too much of a difference!

Edited by Lindsay793

$26.99 for the larger ones at PSmart. $13.99 for the mediums and $5.99 for the smalls. The other pet store charges about the same prices. The only difference is the mediums are $8.99.

=( $75-120+ for Jumbos $25- 35 FOR MEDIUMS 5-10 for small orandas over here.

$30-50 at my LFS in this town, there big and really good quality. Usually their close to show standards. Ranchus, orandas, teles, pompoms are usually always on offer. Occasionally you get bubble eyes, celestials and the like.

Most are local bred too. Theirs quite afew goldfish breeders around here.

They had a toskain afew weeks back. very tempted. $100 and quite large, and decent looking. Really not a bad price considering how hard they are to get, but you'd probably have to import to get show quality ones ;) .

Ours are anywhere from $20-$40 depending on what store you go to. My favorite local one has the best prices and the best looking fish. You can get the larger ones for about $20 there, and they are completely healthy.

I only look at fish at my fave shop, and their prices have increased quite a bit. When I got my first ones last Sept, the 3 1/2 inch were $15, now 2 1/2-3 inch are $25-$30. Definitely worth it, though; they had 3 qt tanks: 2 new arrivals and one had ich, so they are only selling healthy fish and actually caring for the sick ones :D

I paid $40 for my Ranchu Annie (AKA Vader), she was '4 when I got her. I paid $20 for Helo, who was around the same length as Annie. The LFS I go to seems to have really varied pricing on their fish.

anywhere from 30-40 for smaller but really nice ones up to 55-75 for the large nice ones. 100 for the supersized big ones they get in once in awhile. But they are very nice ones I think the ryukin in my pic was in the 30s but she is WAY bigger now they have there own display tank of nice goldfish too that they wont part with unless ints for an outrageous amount they wanted 150 for a panda =/ but I spose because its their display tank

There's only 1 store in a 60 mile radius that I've found that sells larger goldfish to begin with. D: Coincidentally I paid them a visit just the past Sunday. There was a tank of mixed fancies about.... 6-7-8 inches. All jammed together looking miserable. They were 49.99$.

melbourne - australia..

pork chop - telescope butterfly 6.5" (nose to end of tail) $75AUD

sir loyn - oranda - 8" (nose to end of tail) $55AUD

to me, they're worth it.. :heart:)

The LPS has three 5inch fantails for 30$ each. I was showing our rescue coordinator what a shubunkin looked like and couldnt stop myself from peeking at the cute fatbottomz

I've seen some 6-8" black telescopes and fantails at my LFS for $39.99- $49.99.

-Dennis

I saw the cutest ever large calico ranchu at a small lfs nearby that they wanted $150 for! I tried to talk them down in price because the fish had a single anal, but he wouldn't budge. I had never seriously considered a ranchu before or since this one because it was just that cute. It's probably for the best that I didn't get it though because the tanks were all filthy so who knows what the fish was carrying. He claimed that only about 10% of the goldfish they have shipped in from China survive... I bet it's not because of the shipping but because of their poor care! :o

I have recently got a new fish, a Ryukin called Monroe (sorry I know I haven't posted pics yet!!!) Anyway, she is about the size of a mans hand and I paid ?12, and whats more she has AMAZING markings and a very pretty tail so I am more than happy. The fish here are very over priced for what you get for your money usually.

My LFS sells large orandas & ryukins for $25.