Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wendy

How Did You Deal With Your Bully Goldfish?

So how did you deal with your bully goldfish?

My moor George (in my avatar) took the eyes out of a couple of fish in the past, so when I added new fish I was VERY nervous. The best solution I found was to put in a tank divider and keep the new fish on the other side. George would react to their presence at first, trying to get through the divider, but eventually he calmed down. So after a week or so I took the divider out for short periods and carefully watched the fish interact. Eventually he seemed to be ok so I left it out.

I think the divider idea as a temporary solution is a good idea as well. My Calico Brutus showed initial territorial issues with new fish. If it persists then I'm at a loss...never had that problem.

Is this a new thing with old fish or a new fish being added? I've sometimes seen some aggression when a new fish is added and trying to find its spot for a day or two, with older fish if it's breeding related then it should only need temporary separation, otherwise maybe a permanent divider, separate tank or new home...

When I first got Alfred, he decided that he wanted to take over the entire tank as leader or wanted to havet he entire lower half of the tank as his territory, and Red was not having it at all. I've found out that re-arranging the decorations in the tank seems to stop aggression, I guess because it creates "New territory" And they'll work it out themselves without having to be aggressive.

Also a bigger tank seems to solve the problem as well.

If I'm adding a new fish and it happens to be smaller than the rest of the bunch, I've taken everyone out of the main tank and put the new goldie in to get settled. Then I add everyone back one at a time and see how they interact together.

It might sound silly and like a bit more work than it's worth, but I feel like it takes away any initial territorial issues and gives the smaller new goldie a chance to get a little acclimated... a new tank AND new buddies can be a little overwhelming... it's probably more likely that I'm a worry wort.

My moor George (in my avatar) took the eyes out of a couple of fish in the past, so when I added new fish I was VERY nervous. The best solution I found was to put in a tank divider and keep the new fish on the other side. George would react to their presence at first, trying to get through the divider, but eventually he calmed down. So after a week or so I took the divider out for short periods and carefully watched the fish interact. Eventually he seemed to be ok so I left it out.

OMG really? Do fish survive if their eyes get taken out? Poor things...

I found that my problem was tank shape... a moved them to a new tank that had a larger surface area rather than being tall and they got on fine since. The agression seemed to occur because the original fish didn't like sharing space with the new one, but in the new tank it was no one's territory so they were much calmer and haven't fought since.

My original 2 had food agression and it started to be constant even when food was not involved (nipping at the gills and analfins). I had one of those big floating breeder boxes that I would put the bully into when feeding. This helped a HUGE ammount and finally the agression stoped. Untill......I got a 3rd goldfish. Then the agression started again. I got another breeder box and seperated all 3 when feeding while one would siwm around the tank. Again, all the agression stoped. Its been a few years now and there is no longer any agression. Woo!

I have a ryukin (Solar) who is the biggest bully. So I built a pond and he gets to chill out there now! :whatjust:

On top of that, I have multiple rescue fish and my first ever goldfish Vincent out in the pond too now. Solar bullies them all alittle, but theirs plenty of hidey holes and places to escape from him, unlike the tank.

In spawning season I put him in a breeders net though, He's taken scaled off females being so aggressive trying to breed before, and even taken out someone's eye. This solves the main problem.

He's also an idiot. I found him logged under a rock once. It hadn't fallen on him, he'd just gotten stuck under it himself. I pulled him out and fixed him up but now he's covered in silver scars and lacks and eye. :doh11: He's given me more trouble then any other fish. It's hard to belive when I got him he was smaller then this --> ______________ tip to end of tail! :doh11:

But now I'm off topic. Try hidey holes, rearranging the tank or a breeders net as a temporary measure. If these fail, maybe look at housing the bully separatly if he harms your fish.

Sadly I had to re home my Patch because of his bullying :(

Rog won't hide. Dumb fish.

Lol Texana, Thats what I said about Ava when she keeps swimming in circles when Java bullies her. Now her dorsal has a little hole in it :( I think I'm going to end up getting a breeder box eventhough they are all hand feeding unless the hole is from my decor which I am taking out tomorrow.