Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fukkochan

White Poo

Guest fukkochan

hi all~~

1 of my fishes pooped white 1 month ago and some said it was caused by stress, so i ignored it~ then 2 of my fishes pooped white and i still ignored it though i'm getting worried, now 3 of my fishes pooped white and i started searching out for help

some had said it might be bacterial infection but i don't think so since they are still greedy eaters and appetite stayed and there's no hiding near the plastic plant kind of behaviour so i did not give the metranidazole medication that people give for bacterial infection/hexamita

3 days ago, a fish-hobbyist-friend suggested it might be because of nematode worms? since they sometimes poo green/blackish and midway they poo white. i have noticed that they are thinner and my friend said that these worms eat off their nutritions~ he suggested levamisole to be given in water or fed with gel food

i'd like to know what are other options? so far the white poo symptom matched that of infected fish with nematode worms... i haven't do anything to the fishes yet... i'm quite scared to add medication without dead-on accurate diagnosis

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.3mg/l

[*]Nitrite Level?i don't know

[*]Nitrate level?i don't know

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?7.3

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? i don't use tap water for the fish water

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops by sera test kit

[*]Water temperature? 29'C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15gal, 1 month

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? jebo filter, canister filter, 1000L/H power

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? first week 3 times a week, 2nd week 3 times a week, now once a week with gravel vacuum

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?3 fish, 6cm, 4cm, 10cm (all including tails) 2 orandas, 1 pearl

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? none

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? tetra pellets and JBL bloodworms, 5 times a day in small amount (one finger pinch)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? nope

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? white poo everywhere, sometimes brown poo (the same colour as the pellets so it's ok) most white poos are short to medium length, maximum length i've found so far is 4cm, sometimes e poo is greenish. just yesterday, i see bubbles in the white poo! should i use epsom salt? or start pea immediately...it's very hard to find fresh peas here so i still cannot get any, can i feed them long beans instead?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? greedy like never been fed for a whole day

please help me...i lost 2 fishes that i just bought 2 weeks ago, was heartbroken so i really2 want to keep these ones healthy and happy. ps: i'm saving up for a bigger tank so please don't berate me on overstocking >.< i just knew that after i bought the tank and the fishes! so now i'm saving up for a bigger tank, hopefully getting it by next month, in the mean time, i use a quite big filter and do large water changes every week so they would be happy

white poo everywhere, sometimes brown poo (the same colour as the pellets so it's ok) most white poos are short to medium length, maximum length i've found so far is 4cm, sometimes e poo is greenish. just yesterday, i see bubbles in the white poo! should i use epsom salt? or start pea immediately...it's very hard to find fresh peas here so i still cannot get any, can i feed them long beans instead?

I would start off by saying that since your tank is still not cycled you need to do water changes more than once a week. You need to get the ammonia down to 0.

If you could get some test for nitrite and nitrates that would also help show where your cycle is at right now. :)

For the white poop it could be worms but it could also be from the stress due to the ammonia in the tank.

If you could find frozen green peas then you could just boil them for a few minutes until they are soft and mushy, or if frozen peas can't be found you can use canned peas but make sure they have no salt added.

If you can find some Jungle anti parasite food that would cover the nematodes.

Let us know how they do. :heart

What Caitie said is definitely the way to go, I would most definitely follow what she says and see what happens after that.

Don't forget that you're going to want to look for a 30 gallon(113.5 liter) tank because you are overstocked. The white poo is most likely due to poor water quality.

Edited by Tay

Guest fukkochan
white poo everywhere, sometimes brown poo (the same colour as the pellets so it's ok) most white poos are short to medium length, maximum length i've found so far is 4cm, sometimes e poo is greenish. just yesterday, i see bubbles in the white poo! should i use epsom salt? or start pea immediately...it's very hard to find fresh peas here so i still cannot get any, can i feed them long beans instead?

I would start off by saying that since your tank is still not cycled you need to do water changes more than once a week. You need to get the ammonia down to 0.

If you could get some test for nitrite and nitrates that would also help show where your cycle is at right now. :)

For the white poop it could be worms but it could also be from the stress due to the ammonia in the tank.

If you could find frozen green peas then you could just boil them for a few minutes until they are soft and mushy, or if frozen peas can't be found you can use canned peas but make sure they have no salt added.

If you can find some Jungle anti parasite food that would cover the nematodes.

Let us know how they do. :heart

There's hardly any medicated food here, no jungle anti parasite food, no metro meds :( ilve tryin to find them at any kind of stores almost everyday after work and came up empty, do u think I shud order them online? Together with aqua prazi? Since I cannot find prazi of any brand here, shud I let them have metronidazole in the mean time? Thank u :) I'll up my water changes back to 3 times a week again! :D they r now still swimming happily and yesterday I fed them more than usual and they pooped brown (exactly e same colour as the pellets) does this mean I fed them too little? That's why they poo white?

Guest fukkochan

hi!! sorry i typed wrongly, i still remember the old ammonia measurement so yesterday i measured again and my ammonia is 0mg/L hahaa >.<

so this means the white poo is not because of stress, does it really mean it's worms or parasite???

hi!! sorry i typed wrongly, i still remember the old ammonia measurement so yesterday i measured again and my ammonia is 0mg/L hahaa >.<

so this means the white poo is not because of stress, does it really mean it's worms or parasite???

If your fish are still acting fine and they pooped normal poo after being fed more I would wait before using meds. Try to keep their water very very clean for the time being and see how they do in the next few days. Feed them peas every few days to see how they process their food.

There's hardly any medicated food here, no jungle anti parasite food, no metro meds :( ilve tryin to find them at any kind of stores almost everyday after work and came up empty, do u think I shud order them online? Together with aqua prazi?

If you can order them it doesn't hurt to have these on hand. :)

Guest fukkochan

If your fish are still acting fine and they pooped normal poo after being fed more I would wait before using meds. Try to keep their water very very clean for the time being and see how they do in the next few days. Feed them peas every few days to see how they process their food.

One of my fish pooped black!!! It was quite long, as long as its tail fin, it wasn't stringy, is this normal?? I'll feed them peas today, I found frozen peas that is sold mixed with corn, is that okay?

If you can order them it doesn't hurt to have these on hand. :)

I'll order but it will take up to a month to get to my house :( but I'll order anyway :) hopefully they will stay healthy till then :D

One more thing. Tay suggested I get a biGger tank, but I only found a 15 gallon 2nd hand tank online, how do I separate the fishes into 2 tanks if I have 3?? O_o 2 orandas, 1 pearl moor (pearl mixed with moor)

Yes the peas and corn are fine but keep the corn for you. :rofl

May I suggest you wait to buy a bigger tank until you can find one large enough for all three. Maybe you can do daily wc for now? :heart

Guest fukkochan

May I suggest you wait to buy a bigger tank until you can find one large enough for all three. Maybe you can do daily wc for now? :heart

hahaha :D e corns are surely for my soup tomorrow! :) daily water change it is then, for 20%? i juz made a little gel food mixed with their crushed pellets, they love it! will try to add veggies into it and maybe salmon/tuna?

ps: after e peas, only 1 goldie is still pooping whitish, it is unfortunately my pearl with moor eyes (telescopic) that gets to eat only a little bit because of all e tough competition, should i separate it during feeding peas time? so it gets enough peas or will it be too stressful everytime it is moved? thank uu =D peas rock! :rolleyes:

oh one more question! my friend just got 3 baby ranchu, 1 is missing the double caudal fin(is it called this one, idk) the others have 2 smaller other fins underneath the tail fins but one ranchu doesn't have this one, is this a bad sign that something could go wrong with the fish later on(swim bladder stuff)? (maybe bred incorrectly and so is considered as a failed product and handicapped?) if it is a bad sign, she'd like to return the fish and get another baby ranchu that has full body parts

hahaha :D e corns are surely for my soup tomorrow! :) daily water change it is then, for 20%? i juz made a little gel food mixed with their crushed pellets, they love it! will try to add veggies into it and maybe salmon/tuna?

ps: after e peas, only 1 goldie is still pooping whitish, it is unfortunately my pearl with moor eyes (telescopic) that gets to eat only a little bit because of all e tough competition, should i separate it during feeding peas time? so it gets enough peas or will it be too stressful everytime it is moved? thank uu =D peas rock! :rolleyes:

oh one more question! my friend just got 3 baby ranchu, 1 is missing the double caudal fin(is it called this one, idk) the others have 2 smaller other fins underneath the tail fins but one ranchu doesn't have this one, is this a bad sign that something could go wrong with the fish later on(swim bladder stuff)? (maybe bred incorrectly and so is considered as a failed product and handicapped?) if it is a bad sign, she'd like to return the fish and get another baby ranchu that has full body parts

I'd do a little more than 20% daily just because of the bio load and ammonia.

That's great that the fish love it! It may be hard to separate the fish just for feeding time, it could be very stressful on the fish.

The two fins under the tail are anal fins. My Denny only has one anal fin and he does just fine. It just means that the fish aren't very high quality fish and were most likely born that way. It doesn't necessarily mean it'll be handicapped, but make sure you look out for it if it has trouble swimming. Most fish get along just fine, but if she wants to return it she can.

Hi!

White poo can be many things....reabosorbed eggs, stress, infection....

If they are all pooping white i would suggest a treatment of Metro Meds...However if it has ceased, keep doing what u are doing.

Water changes are very important until you cycle is good! There is a link or a few to figure out exactly what that means!

I would suggest feeding two times a day, preferrable with a healthy gel food till they get back on track!

I would really like to know all your water parameters. If u do not have the specific tests u can take it to LFS and have them test it, just have them write down the specific parameters, not it is fine or ok....we want numbers please!!!!

Good luck and let me know on those params please! :heart

Guest fukkochan

That's great that the fish love it! It may be hard to separate the fish just for feeding time, it could be very stressful on the fish.

The two fins under the tail are anal fins. My Denny only has one anal fin and he does just fine. It just means that the fish aren't very high quality fish and were most likely born that way. It doesn't necessarily mean it'll be handicapped, but make sure you look out for it if it has trouble swimming. Most fish get along just fine, but if she wants to return it she can.

I wouldn't separate the fish then, should I give a little extra so the telly pearl can get it too?

It doesn't have any trouble swimming at all! In fact, I see it's the greediest amongst all her three baby fishes hahaha :D I'll tell her that and hopefully she won't return it, petstore keepers here are quite cruel since they own the store themselves, I have heard stories about how they sometimes kill the baby fishes if it weren't born perfect or up to standards by throwing them away into sewers :unsure:

Hi!

If they are all pooping white i would suggest a treatment of Metro Meds...However if it has ceased, keep doing what u are doing.

Water changes are very important until you cycle is good! There is a link or a few to figure out exactly what that means!

I would suggest feeding two times a day, preferrable with a healthy gel food till they get back on track!

I would really like to know all your water parameters. If u do not have the specific tests u can take it to LFS and have them test it, just have them write down the specific parameters, not it is fine or ok....we want numbers please!!!!

Here they don't sell metro-meds/jungle anti parasite food, etc2 :( that is why I have to try an altogether different methods to get them cured :doh11: and that is scary since I'm not a vet myself!

And what is LFS? if it is a petstore of any sort that helps you test your water, I don't have that here too :doh11: so I can only rely on my savings to buy e super expensive water test kit that is imported from other countries!

I just checked the water this morning again, the ammonia is at 0mg/L :D it had been 3 straight days I tested for ammonia and it's always 0, this means my tank is cycled, right?

I wouldn't separate the fish then, should I give a little extra so the telly pearl can get it too?

It doesn't have any trouble swimming at all! In fact, I see it's the greediest amongst all her three baby fishes hahaha :D I'll tell her that and hopefully she won't return it, petstore keepers here are quite cruel since they own the store themselves, I have heard stories about how they sometimes kill the baby fishes if it weren't born perfect or up to standards by throwing them away into sewers :unsure:

Hi!

Here they don't sell metro-meds/jungle anti parasite food, etc2 :( that is why I have to try an altogether different methods to get them cured :doh11: and that is scary since I'm not a vet myself!

And what is LFS? if it is a petstore of any sort that helps you test your water, I don't have that here too :doh11: so I can only rely on my savings to buy e super expensive water test kit that is imported from other countries!

I just checked the water this morning again, the ammonia is at 0mg/L :D it had been 3 straight days I tested for ammonia and it's always 0, this means my tank is cycled, right?

About the extra food, I would just give a little bit extra so that he can have something to eat as well. It sounds liek a good idea.

If the fish does not have problems swimming, and she is just looking for a pet and not a show fish, then by all means ask her to keep it. Sadly, what the pet store owners do is all too common. Usually breeders cull (Kill the baby fish that look like they have issues) early on when they're still fry so they can have the best show quality fish. However, breeders who want to sell a large amount of stock simply don't care and sell them to the pet store anyway for the money.

I would definitely order the metro meds online if you can, preferably from the Goldfish Connection.

LFS stands for Local Fish store which is most often a chain of petstores that sell fish and other animal care products, or it can be a single store that is devoted tp fish only. These are quite common in the United States, Canada, and Europe. The water kit is a definite must though, and can definitely save your fish.

No, it does not mean your tank is cycled. The only way to tell if you have a cycled tank is to see if you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and the nitrates have shown up. That's why it's imperative to have a water test kit. It takes at least two months to cycle a tank fully, so see if you can get your water tested for nitrites and nitrates. Since you have no ammonia you could possibly be in the second stage of cycling with the nitrites. It's great that the ammonia is gone though! It could mean you're on your way through cycling or you're cycled. We can't tell though unless you can give use the nitrite and the nitrate readings.

Good luck!

as for feeding the fish, you can teach the telescope to eat at the opposite side of the tank - or even hand feed him. that is what I do with my moor.

Guest fukkochan

About the extra food, I would just give a little bit extra so that he can have something to eat as well. It sounds liek a good idea.

If the fish does not have problems swimming, and she is just looking for a pet and not a show fish, then by all means ask her to keep it. Sadly, what the pet store owners do is all too common. Usually breeders cull (Kill the baby fish that look like they have issues) early on when they're still fry so they can have the best show quality fish. However, breeders who want to sell a large amount of stock simply don't care and sell them to the pet store anyway for the money.

She is just keeping a pet fish :) I've already told her and she said its okay as long as it won't die on her a month from now because of internal deformities. Yeah, it is horrifying to hear e stories on what they do to the unwanted fry!!

I would definitely order the metro meds online if you can, preferably from the Goldfish Connection.

LFS stands for Local Fish store which is most often a chain of petstores that sell fish and other animal care products, or it can be a single store that is devoted tp fish only. These are quite common in the United States, Canada, and Europe. The water kit is a definite must though, and can definitely save your fish.

Saving... And still saving for e test kit! Do u suppose I need nitrate test more than nitrite?? To at least see if I have nitrate in my tank?? I can only buy 1 per month and still saving for a bigger tank!!

No, it does not mean your tank is cycled. The only way to tell if you have a cycled tank is to see if you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and the nitrates have shown up. That's why it's imperative to have a water test kit. It takes at least two months to cycle a tank fully, so see if you can get your water tested for nitrites and nitrates. Since you have no ammonia you could possibly be in the second stage of cycling with the nitrites. It's great that the ammonia is gone though! It could mean you're on your way through cycling or you're cycled. We can't tell though unless you can give use the nitrite and the nitrate readings.

Good luck!

Aaaah~ I at first thought with 0 ammonia it means my tank is cycled!! Luckily I only did a weekly waterchange once and switched again to 2 days once water change! I can't do everyday water change cuz I buy e water -_-"

Will it still need 2 months at least even after I use a filter start liquid drops that supposedly contain bio bacteria??

Thanx :D

Guest fukkochan

as for feeding the fish, you can teach the telescope to eat at the opposite side of the tank - or even hand feed him. that is what I do with my moor.

Wow... How can u get ur fish to be so clever?? Is there any step by step training actovities that u did?? Mine shied away frm finger except 2 very greedy orandas!

1 more question! With what did u hand feed ur moor?? Veggie?? I can't hand feed pellets and peas, they r very2 small

She is just keeping a pet fish :) I've already told her and she said its okay as long as it won't die on her a month from now because of internal deformities. Yeah, it is horrifying to hear e stories on what they do to the unwanted fry!!

Saving... And still saving for e test kit! Do u suppose I need nitrate test more than nitrite?? To at least see if I have nitrate in my tank?? I can only buy 1 per month and still saving for a bigger tank!!

Good luck!

Aaaah~ I at first thought with 0 ammonia it means my tank is cycled!! Luckily I only did a weekly waterchange once and switched again to 2 days once water change! I can't do everyday water change cuz I buy e water -_-"

Will it still need 2 months at least even after I use a filter start liquid drops that supposedly contain bio bacteria??

Thanx :D

It's hard to say whether or not it will die, but it needs to be looked at carefully, if he's eating and having no problems, that's most likely a good sign and nothing to worry about :). In a way it's like a birth defect in a way.

You need ALL of the tests. No one is more important than the other. See if you can find API freshwater master test kits online to import from the U.S. or another country. You're really going to want to test for nitrite since it is just as a deadly as ammonia.

Also, you buy the water, does that mean you buy it in bottles for the fish? The things with those filter start liquid drops, is that half the time they do not work unless they're refrigerated. It's really hard to tell if they're actually working without the test kit. It's better to get the test kit first and test your water, than to get the bio bacteria bottle and realize that you don't need it.

Wow... How can u get ur fish to be so clever?? Is there any step by step training actovities that u did?? Mine shied away frm finger except 2 very greedy orandas!

1 more question! With what did u hand feed ur moor?? Veggie?? I can't hand feed pellets and peas, they r very2 small

The fish definitely learn very quickly to hand. I jhave found that pieces of brine shrimp work well. My Denny did it first and the others learned that my hand meant food and it isn't dangerous. They all learn in different ways.

Guest fukkochan

It's hard to say whether or not it will die, but it needs to be looked at carefully, if he's eating and having no problems, that's most likely a good sign and nothing to worry about :). In a way it's like a birth defect in a way.

You need ALL of the tests. No one is more important than the other. See if you can find API freshwater master test kits online to import from the U.S. or another country. You're really going to want to test for nitrite since it is just as a deadly as ammonia.

I will buy all of them in e end but I can only buy 1 bottle per month so I will have to keep on buying 1 per month untill all test kits are bought :) so I'm wondering which should I buy next month?

Also, you buy the water, does that mean you buy it in bottles for the fish? The things with those filter start liquid drops, is that half the time they do not work unless they're refrigerated. It's really hard to tell if they're actually working without the test kit. It's better to get the test kit first and test your water, than to get the bio bacteria bottle and realize that you don't need it.

I buy it from the local small entrepreneur water company, they come in 1 big 19litre bottle, the water is filtered thoroughly and we also drink from that water so my mom was shocked when I gave e fishies this type of water >_<

I put the liquid drops in when I first start with the canister filter last month, not mid-way through fish keeping, so I don't know if it works or not! Oops...

My friend recommended it when I was about to begin fish keeping adventure :) she used it too and said the 1st week e water clouds, then 2 days later it cleared and the 4th week e water clouds again and then e next day it cleared and tat her tank is done cycling then

The fish definitely learn very quickly to hand. I jhave found that pieces of brine shrimp work well. My Denny did it first and the others learned that my hand meant food and it isn't dangerous. They all learn in different ways.

Aaaah!! Tats good! I'll try! :D *super excited in work place* haha tho I accidentally poked their wen before, I hope they'll forgive me :) thaaank uu soo much!! :D

For which ones to buy next month, I would foxus on nitrite and then nitrate. Getting a nitrite test bottle is very important.

Would you happen to have a water conditioner at all? It would make water changes a lot easier if you could get your hands on them.

The liquid drops may have actually helped if you use it in the beginning. It's just very hard to tell. Clouding is usually a signal of bacterial or algae growth.

Wash your hands thoroughly and make sure there is no soap residue on your hands, and then take a piece of food such as brine shrimp or a vegetable and put it in the tank. I didn't move my hand when they did it and I let them take the food then I repeated. Soon the fish will learn that your hand = food and is not dangerous. Eventually they will go right up and eat from your hand. A few of mine such as Red and Denny nibble at my hand and nuzzle it, it's quite nice, but be careful to try not to pet them. I know it's tempting!

Guest fukkochan

For which ones to buy next month, I would foxus on nitrite and then nitrate. Getting a nitrite test bottle is very important.

Would you happen to have a water conditioner at all? It would make water changes a lot easier if you could get your hands on them.

The liquid drops may have actually helped if you use it in the beginning. It's just very hard to tell. Clouding is usually a signal of bacterial or algae growth.

Wash your hands thoroughly and make sure there is no soap residue on your hands, and then take a piece of food such as brine shrimp or a vegetable and put it in the tank. I didn't move my hand when they did it and I let them take the food then I repeated. Soon the fish will learn that your hand = food and is not dangerous. Eventually they will go right up and eat from your hand. A few of mine such as Red and Denny nibble at my hand and nuzzle it, it's quite nice, but be careful to try not to pet them. I know it's tempting!

I do have water conditioner, should I leave e water in a pail overnight after putting water conditioner in? Because I heard that people here all do that for their fishes.

I'll get nitrite and nitrate for next 2 months then! :D

It is tempting because their wens are soo soft and jelly-like!! :D hahaha I'll try to hand feed them with bigger food! :D can they eat lettuce??

Yes they can eat lettuce but you need to boil it first so that it will be soft for them. :)