Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

I Should Have Taken Him Home!

today I was quickly fetching heaters for my two new bettas - and the petstore (in france - totally GROSS and DIRTY) - had this GORGEOUS HUGE BLACK MOOR - they were selling for 6dollars (50% off) - who had dropsy... :krazy::krazy::krazy:

I totally wanted to get him - but my boyfriend was dreading taking care of yet ANOTHER goldie!

But now I really want to go back tomorrow and get him! Otherwise nobody will get him and he will probably just die - as ppl in that pet store have NO idea about fish!!! the sad thing is that they also have lots of birds and turtles - which broke my heart - but that I refuse to get because a sick turtle/ tortoise from a PetShop just isn't a good idea... they keep the Bettas in little cups the size of mini shot glasses - half of them were dead - it was just horrible! I am not used to seeing this in Switzerland as there are just so many animal laws... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

thankfully most countries in europe no longer sell cats and dogs in petstores - that would be even more horrible!!!

about the moor - bad idea? The place was just so DIRTY it could very well be from bad water - :idont but of Epson and Jungle Food should do the trick unless he has interior injuries?! I just dont know!

In my opinion, I just wouldn't risk it if the poor fish has dropsy already. It's a tough call, I'm sure you would take great care of it in your home, but there's no way of knowing what it was exposed to and what it could possibly have. :( it could be so far gone that despite your treatment he may never recover. Then it would result in more heartbreak if he passes.

It really is a tough call though. it would be amazing to save him, but it's too hard to tell what he's suffering from. :(

As hard as it is, sometimes it's best to put your emotions aside at times like that and think of the big picture. If you bought him, you'd be supporting the store. They would get your money and order another fish to take his place. And honestly, if he had dropsy the odds were high that no matter what you did he wouldn't make it. It is very sad though, I've had to fight the urge to rescue fish like that before too :(

I know guys... But I feel really bad for him... he was so gorgeous too!

I mean if I do get him and he doesn't make it - at least he gets a fair chance?

I know I don't want to support the store - but me not buying one fish I don't think will change much - I might write a letter to the Manager - it is a line of stores - so maybe I write it to the main manager of all the stores. because the other store of the same chain I usually go to is REALLY nice!!! this one was awful... :doh11:

I have to agree with Crissy-bee, as much as it is horrible to see the little guy suffer, it would be very hard to get him better. Also suporting the store would not be the best for any fish they order.

I saw the most beautiful 6 inch orange and white Ryukin at my LFS a few weeks ago - with hardcore finrot. He was in a tank with some tropicals and they all had it too.

I almost demanded to have the fish for free, since he was obviously not in great shape (beat heal-able), except I don't have the room for another fish. :(

So I can sort of sympathize. You can't save every fish. It's the thought that counts.

if you really want him and you dont want to support the store you could say to them ''look how sick he is no one will buy him let me take him and try to save him.. my most recent fish had sucker marks from a pleco and his tail had been eaten. i complained and got him for half price.. they still wanted 15 for him. until i said something. i almost have to support the store because they are the only ones who have a self serve dog bath and i order things through them like 50 lb bags of alfalfa pellets for my garden. so i paid for him and it gave me a chance to say something. there are people who just dont care but most would rather not be put on the spot for making animals suffer. so if i scold them as im buying i feel like its worth it LOL

I'd try that! Ask if you can have him so you can TRY to save him. Remind them that you are a regular!! Good Luck! I hope you get him & are able yo make him better!!!

if you really want him and you dont want to support the store you could say to them ''look how sick he is no one will buy him let me take him and try to save him.. my most recent fish had sucker marks from a pleco and his tail had been eaten. i complained and got him for half price.. they still wanted 15 for him. until i said something. i almost have to support the store because they are the only ones who have a self serve dog bath and i order things through them like 50 lb bags of alfalfa pellets for my garden. so i paid for him and it gave me a chance to say something. there are people who just dont care but most would rather not be put on the spot for making animals suffer. so if i scold them as im buying i feel like its worth it LOL

That's a really good idea. Maybe you can get off with him for free, and it can definitely teach them a lesson too.

I definitely know the frustration. The LFS, save one in my city, all treat goldfish like an afterthought. Like goldfish are trash pets, and don't deserve good care. Considering how much some want to charge for fancies, it makes you wonder how they can treat them like that.

I say get him Federica. If you are willing and able to stop his suffering then you should. Try to get him for free, they don't deserve any money for treating him that way! Make sure you talk to the head manager of the store, and let them know how angry you are and how you're going to spread bad *but true* stuff about their store! Also write to the area manager or head corporate office and let them know the same thing. Mention animal cruelty laws too and I'm sure that will get their attention.

P.S. I am normally tempted to give pet stores a little leeway on some things, becuase we all know that sometimes things happen that are out of their control. But this place sounds like they habitually treat animals poorly, and that's not okay. If you do get him be extremely careful about cross-contamination to your other tanks. ;)

Edited by Sakura

IF you have a spare tank setup you can put him in, and room for him in your main tank if he recovers, I'd get him. He will die there for sure and may die despite all you do, but as long as you feel you can deal with that possibility, I'd give him a chance if he is calling to you. But, you'd probably want to keep him in QT for a good long time and give him a thorough parasite treatment just to be extra sure he is safe to put with your other fish.

Factoring in the "supporting the store" issue, and ways you can approach that, which will you regret more, getting him (if he dies, and then dealing with that), or not getting him?

That's a really good idea. Maybe you can get off with him for free, and it can definitely teach them a lesson too.

I agree. A friend (scottscott00) & I were browsing all the nearby fish stores today & found more than a dozen sick fish & dozens more that were dead from things that could have been prevented (some of the tanks didn't even have a filter!). We'd all love to save each of those poor fish, but the best thing we can do is either demand that they give the fish for free.. or talk to some animal rights groups? There has to be an organized group out there that feels the same way about goldfish that we do.

I am on my way to get him! 2hr drive total! You guys better be ready to help me nurse him! I hope I caught the dropsy easrly enough! We are also picking up a rubber tub so we don't mix my fish things with him just yet!

You're driving 2 hours to get a fish with dropsy?! You're mad! Think of the petrol costs if nothing else! Sure, get him if it's a local store but that's ages away! What if you get there and he's already died?! Call them first at least maybe?!

I was suppose to get stuff there in a few days anyways-just doing all today-so its not really a detour.

He's alive

I'd also go with the 'get the fish for free and scold them' plan. Or at least scold them.

Scolding is allowed in this situation. Maybe some threats of letting Green Peace know too.. or something like that.

Still alive and swimming? :ill

I hope the little guy makes it! Hopefully it was just water related and some good loving care in good conditions will bring him back to health!

I've been in this situation so many times... Most (see all) of my pondfish are rescues. Sometimes its a hard choice, do you buy them and support the store, but give the guy a chance? Or do you take a stand and boycott bas stores? It is a difficult decision. Should the fish not make it (knock on wood, lets hope he does pull through!) I would demand a refund. Then they don't make a profit for an animals sufferance.

long story short - i didn't get him.....

seems that after the huge scandal bf and I made yesterday about it being unacceptable how they were selling sick/dying goldies to people at 50% off. today they closed off the section and the fish were 'not for sale any longer'. they claimed to be 'treating' them - even if the young man doing a working experience there told me that 'they had an incurable disease'....

so basically - floors that haven't been cleaned in the last 6+months (GROSS) - the tanks with yellowish water - ALL the plants they had for sale were DEAD (which even in the crappiest stores doesn't happen)- the tanks of the goldies had cadavers EVERYWHERE - and it STANK in there.

so I was already starting to feel sick (I have a germ thing - dirt gets me very anxious :stars is it really that HARD to clean a small store?!?!?!) - so bf asked to talk to the manager. she started claiming how they 'never' sell sick fish (yea right yesterday they were selling them off 50%) - and that they were getting 'treatment' - so I asked her what exactly that was - 'a product'... :wall then she started showing off that it was NORMAL that the goldies were getting sick because of the WEATHER changes!!!!!! are you KIDDING ME! put in a heater for all i care!!! don't think the weather turns the water YELLOW OR smelly!!! :stop

by that time I was ticked off and left because she kept refusing to give him to me - even to sell him... she said to come back in a week when he would be healthy (when she then admitted he might not make it to my bf) - apparently the woman went on to tell my bf that she wasn't even SURE it was dropsy because the 'SCALES WEREN'T STICKING OUT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!' (THE FISH LOOKED LIKE A HEDGEHOG!!!) :madrant

bf is last year of law school - so he got her name and is writing an expedited letter to the director of the chain stores (because the others seriously are NICE) to say that this one is tainting the name of their chain and that maybe they should check. it's too bad because we forgot our phones in the car (didn't get any pictures) - and when we got out we were so ticked we really didn't want to go back in ..... :noway

what a day - on the way back we stopped at my fave pet store in switzerland (this is the one that wont sell you goldies if you don't have a 55gallon tank - it is a great way to prevent 'non-serious' buyer apparently) - it is the only store that sells more than fish as live animals (most aren't allowed) - and it was SOOOOO NICE!!!!!!! all the tanks were just BEAUTIFUL!!!! the air was clean and smelled fresh - no dust of any kind ANYWHERE - they had a couple huge tanks with some baby turtles which looked GREAT! clean water, good UV etc etc etc... so we went to tell the lady about our 'adventure in france' - and she actually explained that switzerland has very strict rules also for pet stores - which I didn't know.... they never have large goldies there (only up to about 12cm) because they are sold less- but she was so nice she said that they can order the fish from their importer whenever I want. so that is where I will be getting my goldies from now on!

so now I just need to find out HOW the laws in switzerland got done... :rules:

It's not the best end to the story, but hopefully the letter will make a difference. This may be some what harsh but here's hoping that she gets fired and some one who knows what they are doing (and cares) will take over. :madrant:

Oh, and by the way, good for you for standing up for the fish! :thumb:

Oh how sad :( That manager you talked to sounds like an absolute pig, how frustrating. I think the letter your bf is writing will go a long way towards solving the problem, and it's so nice that he cares as much as you about this :)

He was especially ticked for having driven 2hrs for NOTHING!!! and the place was soooo gross he also felt bad for the fish!!!

anyways - the letter wont hurt - not sure if it will change things drastically but maybe if they get enough letters...

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm sure upper management would like to know if this really is an isolated incident in their chain. They won't be making money for long if that is how they keep their store up.

That is absolutely one of the most disgusting things that I have ever read. That manager should be absolutely ashamed of herself, and should be fired for taking such poor care of that store. You really should see if you can get a health inspector out there or something. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Ah! Shops like this make me MAD!!

We have a LFS here that's not very good, but they are just passable. You see afew with ick and other 'minor' problems, but nothing major like that. I still avoid shopping there if I can.

I hope the manager of that store gets FIRED.