Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jascar

Redtop Oranda Flashing - Bloodstreak By Mouth

I can't answer water parameter questions until I get the test drops tomorrow afternoon. That being said here are some basics.

Tank is 55 gallons.

2 Goldfish reside, 7 Zebra Danios, and 3 mystery Snails. I've gotten snarky comments about Zebra Danios from fish keepers before, so in case anyone wants to know, they thrive in 60 to 75 degree temperatures, and are closer to subtropical fish (Contrary to popular belief). There are several goldfish experts that recommend them as compatible tank mates.

Tank has been established for 4 months.

I do weekly 25% water changes via gravel siphoning. Also AqAdvisor says I am 78% stocked, and my filter capacity is 111% to the good.

My Calico Brutus is doing great. No ill signs at all. My snails have been suffering from calcium deficiency and have had shell degrading. A good fix for this is supposed to be Kent's Liquid calcium, supposed to be very safe for fresh water fish and tanks; also put in a cuttle bone. As a fix I added half dosage as recommended by snail experts and the bottle recommendation. I also added a piece of cuttlebone as recommended to help the snail shells. I think I may have caused a PH fluctuation to cause my Redtop's flashing, but obviously I can't be sure until I get some testing done. None of the other fish have had a negative response to the calcium. She also has some red on the side of her face. No other red is present on her body. I've done an initial 50% water change, very slowly as indicated in other research in case it is a Acidosis/Alkalosis problem.

I have no quarantine tank, and can't get one just yet. So any other advice in the meantime would be appreciated.

Edited by Jascar

Tomorrow or Friday I will swing by Target and get a rubber-maid as a makeshift quarantine. It was good advice I just read on these forums :D

Sorry about your fish. So far I would think you've done all you can until you get those test results. When you post the results it might give us a better idea of what exactly is going on. Also if you could post a picture of the red on your fish's face that might help.

Is the fish acting and eating normally, except for the flashing?

The rubbermaid for qt is a great idea. :D

The one thing I might suggest with goldies is maybe trying to do larger water changes, you might have noticed that most of us do 50% and above every week, since goldies are so messy. :)

2 Goldfish reside, 7 Zebra Danios, and 3 mystery Snails. I've gotten snarky comments about Zebra Danios from fish keepers before, so in case anyone wants to know, they thrive in 60 to 75 degree temperatures, and are closer to subtropical fish (Contrary to popular belief). There are several goldfish experts that recommend them as compatible tank mates.

No snarky remarks from me, I also have always kept danios with my goldies. ;)

Keep us posted.

I'll grab the camera right now. She's my favorite, and has made friends with 2 of my Zebra Danios, they hang out all the time...it's so freaking cute! They follow each other around everywhere.

Be right back with that picture.

Edit: I did notice the larger water changes recommendation and will change my habit!

Edited by Jascar

Here is a photo. You can hardly make it out, but its there. She's very active and I need to turn out the tank light! If you click on "all sizes" you get a better closeup.

IMG_9223

Edited by Jascar

Unfortunately I can't really tell from the picture. I know how hard it is to catch a picture of anything specific on a goldie. But she looks healthy. Maybe once you have the test results we might figure out what is going on with her. :)

Unfortunately I can't really tell from the picture. I know how hard it is to catch a picture of anything specific on a goldie. But she looks healthy. Maybe once you have the test results we might figure out what is going on with her. :)

Good update. The flashing and blood streak has totally gone, and she is acting completely normal again :D

I went ahead and got the Rubber maid, and I'm looking to get the test drops tomorrow. I went to my local pet shop and they were over $30 :o Any advice where to find the testing drops a little cheaper, say $20?

Just out of interest from nosing on the forums- so the danios don't get eaten by the goldfish then?

Just wondered cos when I have room and money for a big tank I'd love some schooling fish, and is great to know that they can go in with goldies.

But sorry, back to your problem :)

Good update. The flashing and blood streak has totally gone, and she is acting completely normal again :D

I went ahead and got the Rubber maid, and I'm looking to get the test drops tomorrow. I went to my local pet shop and they were over $30 :o Any advice where to find the testing drops a little cheaper, say $20?

I'm glad the fish has gotten better! That's great.

Unfortunately that's about the price that they come at, but they're well worth it as they last a long time. I think they can last about a year or so. You can try online where they may be a little cheaper, but I'm not sure. I got mine at the lfs.

I think the going price for a set of test kits (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) is around $30 average. I went to 3 or 4 stores near me, and they were all a few dollars more or less than that.

They're expensive, yes, but absolutely necessary and unarguably invaluable. :)

Just out of interest from nosing on the forums- so the danios don't get eaten by the goldfish then?

Just wondered cos when I have room and money for a big tank I'd love some schooling fish, and is great to know that they can go in with goldies.

But sorry, back to your problem :)

I've read several things on Danios and goldfish. Some people have had problems keeping them together, especially when entering them together at an older age and different times. I believe it is recommended to keep the Danios and Goldfish together from a young age; at the get-go. Again, sometimes it's a problem, but a great deal of people have had success keeping them together even as the goldfish get larger with no problems. That's not to say you won't have a problem, but it is worth the try if your Goldfish are friendlier.

The test strips last about a year!? Then yeah that is totally worth it. Small price to pay to keep your tank topnotch for a year.

Edited by Jascar

The test drops last about a year!? Then yeah that is totally worth it. Small price to pay to keep your tank topnotch for a year.

Oops :rolleyes:

Edited by Jascar

That's great news. :D It was probably due to something being a bit off in the water. Often just a good wc will help a fish heal itself. :heart

thats great she is okey. if you don't want to get a test kit for now - in the meantime you can take a water sample to your LFS - many of them offer water testing services.

the red could have been from bad water? my redcap gets red streaks in the tail as soon as the water isn't perfect.

maybe keep doing larger water changes for a while.

thats great she is okey. if you don't want to get a test kit for now - in the meantime you can take a water sample to your LFS - many of them offer water testing services.

the red could have been from bad water? my redcap gets red streaks in the tail as soon as the water isn't perfect.

maybe keep doing larger water changes for a while.

I'm thinking it was the Kent's Calcium, the rapid water change may have been too much on her.

I got the API drops today :testkit:

Results:

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0 PPM

Nitrate: 0PPM

Nitrite: 0 PPM

Edited by Jascar

If someone wants to move this they can. All is well in my tank :fishtank:

If someone wants to move this they can. All is well in my tank :fishtank:

:Congrats: That's great that all is well!

Thanks. It was a good learning experience...and now I have the testing drops, which makes me feel a lot better!

Hmmmmmmm.....what r your levels now? You should have some nitrates if you are cycled!

Are you waiting the entire 5 minutes and doing all the shake, shake shaking? Please let me know.

Looks can be deceiving with cycle bumps and I just want to be sure. Glad things are looking up.

In the future...I really think your danios and goldies would be better off in seperate tanks........only so much as goldies are so poopy and need the water changed 50-75% per week and tons of filtration and bubbles!

Post back please!

Hmmmmmmm.....what r your levels now? You should have some nitrates if you are cycled!

Are you waiting the entire 5 minutes and doing all the shake, shake shaking? Please let me know.

Looks can be deceiving with cycle bumps and I just want to be sure. Glad things are looking up.

In the future...I really think your danios and goldies would be better off in seperate tanks........only so much as goldies are so poopy and need the water changed 50-75% per week and tons of filtration and bubbles!

Post back please!

My stock level is fine, I've checked several sources on it; I will not be moving them. I've tested again and got the same results. Yes, I followed the directions to the T, the test results still indicate 0 nitrates in there. For the record, as indicated above, I now do 50% water changes, I have aeration added to the tank not including the large waterfall; although apparently they (air stones) only add 2% oxygen to the thank. Air stones more help with the gas exchange, than actually adding oxygen.

Edited by Jascar

Hmm...if your tank is cycled you should have some nitrates. I would test daily for the next week and see what kind of results you get.

Hmm...if your tank is cycled you should have some nitrates. I would test daily for the next week and see what kind of results you get.

I'm quite certain my tank is cycled. I will keep an eye on it. I did some research, it's not unheard of to get 0 nitrate readings in planted tanks, or tanks that have had a 50% or more recent water change. I tested after my water change today.

Edited by Jascar

I also have a ton of algae in my tank, apparently that can eat up you nitrates as well giving a 0 reading.

Next time, probably tomorrow; I'll take a picture of my Test Chart, and my Vial ; )

Edited by Jascar

Just so everyone knows, this can happen. Tanks that are heavily planted and get a large water change can show a 0 nitrates the next day or even a few hours later. :)

But to be on a safe side i would keep testing to make sure since your fish did show signs of stress. :)

JMO

Just so everyone knows, this can happen. Tanks that are heavily planted and get a large water change can show a 0 nitrates the next day or even a few hours later. :)

But to be on a safe side i would keep testing to make sure since your fish did show signs of stress. :)

JMO

I did test today, and I am back at the normal reading. I think the low readings because I tested directly after a water change, on top of having plants and algae! I took pictures, I thought it would be neat to show you my results. I'll link to them after I load them in a few mins.