Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tofu

Tank Without Fish?

I set up my new 30 gallon long yesterday, and it's running with a bio wheel 200 filter, until I add the 150 to it from my other tank.

I'm going to cycle it without fish, but I haven't been able to find ammonia without a sudsing agent yet. I'm going to drive around to some stores tomorrow, but I may not be able to find it quickly, or at all.

Is it okay to leave the tank running without any fish or ammonia in it? I'd be afraid of something nasty growing/moving in. :(

You could try some local hardware stores... many of them will sell ammonia without added agents. I bought ammonia from ACE hardware for my fishless cycle. Hopefully someone will drop by soon to answer your other question. Best of luck.

I have always cycled with a pinch of food daily until I have ammonia...takes a bit longer,but it works imo :)

If you can't find ammonia I would go with the flake food method too, I have cycled a tank using flake before I could find ammonia, it just takes a little longer!

Good luck! :)