Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fukkochan

New Fish, Ich, White Poo, Lice: Stressed In Fish Keeping

Guest fukkochan

Yes just like Caitie said, choose the most gentle treatment that you can and don't add ANYTHING until you know what you're dealing with. Adding too many meds at once can kill your fish. I'd definitely look for prazi.

I think the poo you're dealing with could be an issue with food. What are you usually feeding them? They need to have variety in the food and vegetables such as frozen peas. The kind with no salted added (That means no canned peas). If you have Ryukins are other egg bodied fish, it could be constipation. I know my ryukins had a problem with it for awhile until I fed them peas and a more varied diet. Try the frozen peas first. Just thaw them, take them out of the shell, and then feed to your fish but make sure they're in small enough pieces for the fish to eat without choking.

If it treats so many things I worry that it could be stressful to your fish. Like we said earlier, only treat one thing at a time and use the safest thing possible. I would go ahead and treat the ich first, and then get prazi to treat for flukes.

Just wait before adding something else and see if there is no more ich for awhile. Then you'll know if the salt failed. You're doing a good job :)

Wow... that then was really2 stressful for my fishes back then! >.< i have another bottle of med from the same brand that says 'ectoparasite treatment' that covers ichthyophthirius spp, trichodina spp, chilodonella spp, amyloodinium spp, costia sp, gill flukes, skin flukes, anchor worms, fish lice, fish leeches. so this medication is specialized to treat parasites, will this do for fluke treatment?

i haven't used this medication but prepared it anyway, there's actually another bottle to treat bacterial infection that has fin rot and stuffs but i didn't buy it and bought the magic disease treatment instead :(

i tried looking it up at e internet and this is what i found, nothing much since i think only most of south east asian countries use it. http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/modules.php?mop=modload&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=157&forum=17

i usually feed them pellet food, tetra, and blood worms... i should start feeding them peas! thaanx =D but i'm currently not feeding the ichy fish anything yet, some said sick fish should not eat anything? or should i feed it peas too?

when there's no more ich, there wouldn't be grains of salt on the fish's body right?

Yes just like Caitie said, choose the most gentle treatment that you can and don't add ANYTHING until you know what you're dealing with. Adding too many meds at once can kill your fish. I'd definitely look for prazi.

I think the poo you're dealing with could be an issue with food. What are you usually feeding them? They need to have variety in the food and vegetables such as frozen peas. The kind with no salted added (That means no canned peas). If you have Ryukins are other egg bodied fish, it could be constipation. I know my ryukins had a problem with it for awhile until I fed them peas and a more varied diet. Try the frozen peas first. Just thaw them, take them out of the shell, and then feed to your fish but make sure they're in small enough pieces for the fish to eat without choking.

If it treats so many things I worry that it could be stressful to your fish. Like we said earlier, only treat one thing at a time and use the safest thing possible. I would go ahead and treat the ich first, and then get prazi to treat for flukes.

Just wait before adding something else and see if there is no more ich for awhile. Then you'll know if the salt failed. You're doing a good job :)

Wow... that then was really2 stressful for my fishes back then! >.< i have another bottle of med from the same brand that says 'ectoparasite treatment' that covers ichthyophthirius spp, trichodina spp, chilodonella spp, amyloodinium spp, costia sp, gill flukes, skin flukes, anchor worms, fish lice, fish leeches. so this medication is specialized to treat parasites, will this do for fluke treatment?

i haven't used this medication but prepared it anyway, there's actually another bottle to treat bacterial infection that has fin rot and stuffs but i didn't buy it and bought the magic disease treatment instead :(

i tried looking it up at e internet and this is what i found, nothing much since i think only most of south east asian countries use it. http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/modules.php?mop=modload&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=157&forum=17

i usually feed them pellet food, tetra, and blood worms... i should start feeding them peas! thaanx =D but i'm currently not feeding the ichy fish anything yet, some said sick fish should not eat anything? or should i feed it peas too?

when there's no more ich, there wouldn't be grains of salt on the fish's body right?

Yes that medicine should treat for flukes, I think it should be fine.

You should still feed your sick fish, sometimes the best way to see if they're not getting better or are doing worse is if they are not eating. If the fish is still eating it's a good sign.

Prazi is always the best thing for flukes. what are the ingredients in your meds? Most of the 'non-prazis' out there are way too aggressive both for the fish and for your cycle. it will kill your cycle and you will most likely have to recycle your tank from scratch...

as for the ich - yes the fish should have no more white spots - then you wait one entire week before gradually reducing the salt. don't stop the salt the day you see the ich gone - there are still probably lots of eggs all over - keep up the water changes.

:mytank1:

Guest fukkochan

:cry1 i thank you for all your help... my fish just died today :cry1 i haven't even named it yet :( i guess the flukes/ich ate it all the way to the gills already, i started doing 2 water changes since this topic started and i might do something wrong... i'm so sorry for the fish that i'm not quite experienced enough to help rescue it :cry1

for now i'll try to find prazi for my main tank and wait till next month to get a big big tank to house all of the fishes, i might give one fish to my friend that's very hardy, never been sick since i got it but i'm still thinkin, she's such a cutie :)

thanx everyone! you girls have been such angels and patient too in helpin me :)

I am so sorry!

:cry1 i thank you for all your help... my fish just died today :cry1 i haven't even named it yet :( i guess the flukes/ich ate it all the way to the gills already, i started doing 2 water changes since this topic started and i might do something wrong... i'm so sorry for the fish that i'm not quite experienced enough to help rescue it :cry1

for now i'll try to find prazi for my main tank and wait till next month to get a big big tank to house all of the fishes, i might give one fish to my friend that's very hardy, never been sick since i got it but i'm still thinkin, she's such a cutie :)

thanx everyone! you girls have been such angels and patient too in helpin me :)

I'm so sorry about your fish :rip: I know it's hard to resist rescueing fish, but sometimes you have to resist. Most of the time they're a lot of trouble depending on what disease they have. :( I'm so sorry that you lost him, but I'm sure he'd thank you for giving him the best care that he's ever had.

Definitely get a much bigger tank for your fish, you'll find that they'll be so much healthier and you won't have to deal with many problems at all. Yes, definitely treat for flukes. Only rehome the fish to someone you know who will take excellent care of them.

Feel free to post on this forum anytime for help or just to chat. It's been a pleasure meeting you. :)

Sorry you lost your fish :(:hug

I would definitely look into sorting your current fish into a bigger tank before you get any more fish, and I would definitely not buy a sick fish if it's avoidable, and if you do have to buy a sick fish (a few of them really tug on the heart!) try to pick one where you can already tell what's wrong with it, know how to treat it, and have the right meds in. For example, I won't necessarily bypass a gorgeous fish with ich, because I know how to treat it having done so before twice and it's not complicated, I also already have the salt and have Prazi for treating flukes. I would be more likely to bypass one with hole-in-the-head because I have no idea what to do with it and have never come across it in my own fish before (though I know the Koko's community would help!)

If, after sorting your other fish out, you do want new fish, when you quarentine them if you take some filter media (a chunk of sponge or something) out the filter on your main tank then your quarentine tank will already be cycled, so if your tank is big enough you won't need to do the daily water changes to keep everything under control. Then you can use salt and Prazi together, they're safe together, just usually we don't recommend it while cycling because you end up having to redose the meds all the time and that's not ideal for the fish and can get quite expensive. It's usually a good idea when quarentining new fish to treat them with salt and prazi anyway as they may have something that's not obvious. I quarentined one of my fish for 3 weeks without salt once, he seemed fine, and within 2 days of adding him to my tank with my other 2 fish I had an ich breakout and lost the original two. Treat for it in quarentine, even if you can't see it. A salt treatment is pretty mild anyway and won't harm the fish, same with Prazi.

I'm always wary of medications that claim to treat many different things, a lot of cure-all meds contain a combination of chemicals which would be nasty on their own but are potentially dangerous for your fish when used together. Some cannot be used in the presence of ammonia and others can only be used if the tank is covered as they become poisonous if they come into contact with sunlight. Malachite green is one of the common ingredients to avoid that comes to mind, it's carcinogenic.

Some good things to have on hand that work for the majority of things and are trusted on here (if you want to set up an emergency first aid box) are aquarium salt, Prazi, epsom salt and metromeds which is a medicated fish food. The metromeds and Prazi you can only get from the States so it might be worth ordering them at the same time. You can make your own metromeds using a medicine called Flagyl which contains the same active ingredient as the fish food in tablet form and you can make up into gel-food, I got mine off ebay from someone who uses it for racing pigeons. Of these four things only the Prazi and aquarium salt should be used as a preventative, the metromeds and epsom salt should not be used unless you know what's wrong with your fish. Think of them as prescription medicines whereas Prazi and aquarium salt are like paracetamol you can buy over the counter.

Best of luck!

Guest fukkochan

I'm so sorry about your fish :rip: I know it's hard to resist rescueing fish, but sometimes you have to resist. Most of the time they're a lot of trouble depending on what disease they have. :( I'm so sorry that you lost him, but I'm sure he'd thank you for giving him the best care that he's ever had.

Definitely get a much bigger tank for your fish, you'll find that they'll be so much healthier and you won't have to deal with many problems at all. Yes, definitely treat for flukes. Only rehome the fish to someone you know who will take excellent care of them.

Feel free to post on this forum anytime for help or just to chat. It's been a pleasure meeting you. :)

nice meeting you too! =D i'll update on the new tank, i might definitely have some questions about it aside from seeding :) i haven't get any prazi here yet, the biggest 'ace hardware' store that's famous here doesn't have that either, guess i have to wait for almost a month for prazi :(

Sorry you lost your fish :(:hug

I would definitely look into sorting your current fish into a bigger tank before you get any more fish, and I would definitely not buy a sick fish if it's avoidable, and if you do have to buy a sick fish (a few of them really tug on the heart!) try to pick one where you can already tell what's wrong with it, know how to treat it, and have the right meds in. For example, I won't necessarily bypass a gorgeous fish with ich, because I know how to treat it having done so before twice and it's not complicated, I also already have the salt and have Prazi for treating flukes. I would be more likely to bypass one with hole-in-the-head because I have no idea what to do with it and have never come across it in my own fish before (though I know the Koko's community would help!)

that is soo true! thanx for telling me that, i'll try to find a super healthy fish and try to look away from the overstocked tank area >.< it's quite hard to find a ryukin in here so i really loved those two :(

If, after sorting your other fish out, you do want new fish, when you quarentine them if you take some filter media (a chunk of sponge or something) out the filter on your main tank then your quarentine tank will already be cycled, so if your tank is big enough you won't need to do the daily water changes to keep everything under control. Then you can use salt and Prazi together, they're safe together, just usually we don't recommend it while cycling because you end up having to redose the meds all the time and that's not ideal for the fish and can get quite expensive. It's usually a good idea when quarentining new fish to treat them with salt and prazi anyway as they may have something that's not obvious. I quarentined one of my fish for 3 weeks without salt once, he seemed fine, and within 2 days of adding him to my tank with my other 2 fish I had an ich breakout and lost the original two. Treat for it in quarentine, even if you can't see it. A salt treatment is pretty mild anyway and won't harm the fish, same with Prazi.

wooow... that is just scary... i think that should be best! treating as a prevention... is the salt treatment for the prevention as heavy as the salt for curing? should it be 1 teaspoon for 2 gallons instead if we're preventing? to be mixed with prazi?

I'm always wary of medications that claim to treat many different things, a lot of cure-all meds contain a combination of chemicals which would be nasty on their own but are potentially dangerous for your fish when used together. Some cannot be used in the presence of ammonia and others can only be used if the tank is covered as they become poisonous if they come into contact with sunlight. Malachite green is one of the common ingredients to avoid that comes to mind, it's carcinogenic.

and malachite green is soo commonly used here!! most people here keep their fish tank inside their bedroom so they seldom worry about that. most medication here come in liquid form, kept in a bottle, they are quite mild but some are strong, they however, never really say what's inside that bottle! should i stop buying medication that doesn't say what's the ingredient?

Some good things to have on hand that work for the majority of things and are trusted on here (if you want to set up an emergency first aid box) are aquarium salt, Prazi, epsom salt and metromeds which is a medicated fish food. The metromeds and Prazi you can only get from the States so it might be worth ordering them at the same time. You can make your own metromeds using a medicine called Flagyl which contains the same active ingredient as the fish food in tablet form and you can make up into gel-food, I got mine off ebay from someone who uses it for racing pigeons. Of these four things only the Prazi and aquarium salt should be used as a preventative, the metromeds and epsom salt should not be used unless you know what's wrong with your fish. Think of them as prescription medicines whereas Prazi and aquarium salt are like paracetamol you can buy over the counter.

Best of luck!

what is epsom salt?? isn't it aquarium salt? is it hard to get in south east asian countries???

thaanx all for e advices! it's soo cool that i get to learn new things everyday! :D

I wouldn't buy medications at all unless I knew exactly what they did and what was in them. I haven't bought medications from my local fish store in a long time because they only stock the 'cure in a box' type and they're no use to anyone really in the vast majority of cases. The only 'medication' I've bought there is aquarium salt.

The salt for prevention is the same as curing, you just wouldn't necessarily carry on the treatment so long, you gradually increase it to 0.03% same as normal, keep it there for maybe 1 1/2 - 2 weeks and assuming you don't see anything bring it down again. It's not unheard of for ich to appear after you commence salting, it's one of those things that gets worse before it gets better.

Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate (sulfate if you want the American spelling) and they're often used in aromatherapy and homeopathic remedies for people. If you need to use it you will only need a tiny amount so the smallest container you can get will be fine. You could ask around health shops for it, maybe pharmacies, or you can get it on ebay, but don't do what I did and get a 5kg bag of the stuff! You'll never need that much! The epsom salt is probably the one you'd use least out of the four I suggested, it's used for eggbound females, extreme constipation and dropsy, none of which are that common but it's definitely good to have in, dropsy in particular requires pretty quick treatment though it's not likely to happen.

I am sorry about your fish and I am sorry I have been in the hospital and couldn't answer you!

You were given great advice....except it sounds like fish lice on top of everything. There was nothing you could have done different in the meantime. So pat yourself on the back for your efforts.

Salt to .3% or.4% could have dealt with ick! Prazi with flukes......fish lice are difficult!

You and everyone else did a good job. Tons of vacuuming or getting rid of gravel.....who knows....

:heart and big hugs!!!!!!!