Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Curiosity

Help! My Goldfish Is Dying!

Gurkle is doing great! He's swimming around and acting like there's no care in the world. I'm so happy! He gave me such a scare last night. ^^ And somemore good news: I can't see the the fungus on Raimu anymore. *dances* I'll continue the salt treatment for a little while longer and then I'll ease off it.

@Hidr: Haha. Yeah, that's my turtle tank. Here I'll take down the pic so it doesn't confuse people anymore. My actual fish tank is filled to the top so no worries. =)

@Captain: Awww! Too cute. I could never see your turtle. I'd want to take it home. ROLF@ our turtle obsession. Hahahaha! I blame the turtles. They're like goldfish, they're too cute to not talk about. =) But yeah, I can say that I have a good filter and UV light for my turtle. I just not need to attribute that to my fish. (Mkay. Now we can stop before Hidr REALLY whacks us with a frying pan. ignore.gif )

Thank you so much everyone! You saved both my fish! =D Looks like I need to spend money on a tank.... filter... a better tester... and an ammonia tester.... *wallet whimpers in my back pocket* Ah well. The lil twerps are worth it.

Edited by Kai

Sidenote: Oh. Er.... apparently I can't edit that post and take out the turtle tank pic. oops.gif

Gurkle is doing great! He's swimming around and acting like there's no care in the world. I'm so happy! He gave me such a scare last night. ^^ And somemore good news: I can't see the the fungus on Raimu anymore. *dances* I'll continue the salt treatment for a little while longer and then I'll ease off it.

@Hidr: Haha. Yeah, that's my turtle tank. Here I'll take down the pic so it doesn't confuse people anymore. My actual fish tank is filled to the top so no worries. =)

@Captain: Awww! Too cute. I could never see your turtle. I'd want to take it home. ROLF@ our turtle obsession. Hahahaha! I blame the turtles. They're like goldfish, they're too cute to not talk about. =) But yeah, I can say that I have a good filter and UV light for my turtle. I just not need to attribute that to my fish. (Mkay. Now we can stop before Hidr REALLY whacks us with a frying pan. ignore.gif )

Thank you so much everyone! You saved both my fish! =D Looks like I need to spend money on a tank.... filter... a better tester... and an ammonia tester.... *wallet whimpers in my back pocket* Ah well. The lil twerps are worth it.

Yes, a tank'll definitely help, and I'm so glad the fish are doing better! It's great to hear, and keep up the good work :)

Sidenote: Oh. Er.... apparently I can't edit that post and take out the turtle tank pic. oops.gif

I don't think you can edit posts about five minutes after you post them. Don't worry.

I found a good tank for $20, but there's no top or light to it. =/ I could buy that to get them in a decent size tank and then pay for the other stuff later. Hmmm....

Gurkle and Raimu are still doing great. Thank you everyone. =)

ahahahah turtle tank is STAYING!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

so glad the fish are better! yea wait a few extra days with the salt and then dose off .1% every 12hrs.

btw my tank also has no top - goldies don't usually jump. then I have a normal floor lamp next to it that lights the tank - works pretty well. have you looked for the Penguin Filters?

Actually goldies can jump...but you can just put a piece of mesh or netting over the top and stick it down on the sides with sellotape. Commons are more likely to jump than fancies. One of my goldies got pushed out their temp tank when I was doing a massive water change, she loved to swim up the bubble stream of an airstone and tried it in a rather shallow tank and got pushed straight over the side. Fortunately I noticed but do not underestimate the ability of a goldfish to find trouble!!!

Lights are nice but not essential, a lamp next to/over the tank will do fine until you get something else.

What size is the $20 tank?

Oh! Hidr, I just noticed your "PS: I combined the threads". Thank you. =)

@Captain: Haha!

Mkays. I'll start doing that by the end of this week, maybe. I can't believe how big that fungus was! It was covering a small part of Raimu but it covered his nose. Can you imagine?! *covers my own nose* The poor thing. Anyways, its just a small glossy spot now.

I don't think my goldies will jump out. Mainly, because all of them are fancy-tails and also they HATE the surface. Raimu actually freaks himself out on purpose, I think. XD He'll poke his nose out of water, FREAK OUT, hide at the bottom, wait, and repeat the process a few more times. Gurkle's hides all the time. (Timid lil sweetie.) And Sai... well... is crazy but lazy.

I haven't found the Penguin brand exactly but I've found filters similar to it. I may use a filter like the one in my turtle tank if I can't find the one you're talking about. Its really good and not that expensive.

Actually goldies can jump...but you can just put a piece of mesh or netting over the top and stick it down on the sides with sellotape. Commons are more likely to jump than fancies. One of my goldies got pushed out their temp tank when I was doing a massive water change, she loved to swim up the bubble stream of an airstone and tried it in a rather shallow tank and got pushed straight over the side. Fortunately I noticed but do not underestimate the ability of a goldfish to find trouble!!!

Lights are nice but not essential, a lamp next to/over the tank will do fine until you get something else.

What size is the $20 tank?

Hahahahaha! Our pesky goldfish always getting into mischief. rofl3.gifI can imagine that poor fish's thought process: "WHOOOOOOOOO!! FINS IN THE AIR-Aw crap. AHHHHHH!!!"

With the lights: really? Again, people have been telling me wrong. They said that light is essential. Though, I did have a problem with my light at one point. It aggravated the fish somehow. I think they're part vampire or something...

It was a tall 20 gal. Think that's enough?

usually for goldies long tanks are better then tall ones. you have 2 or 3?

for 3goldies you need minimum a 30 gallon. but most people say 20gallon for the first goldie and then 10gallon each additional one.

My fish haven't had the lights on for over 3 weeks now other than the odd hour, they get a little sunlight in the mornings indirectly, and the lights from the kitchen, but nothing directly over the tank. It was getting dangerously hot so I just turned them off, better to be in the dark than boiled alive, the fish seem to be fine though it's not really an ideal solution, it makes them harder to see. I think lights are preferable and not just for aesthetics, you wouldn't like to stay in a dimly looked room forever, but that doesn't mean you couldn't if you know what I mean.

Long tanks are preferable over taller ones, but to be honest anything's better than you've got now, particularly if your fish are small. If you look at the length of a tank relative to a 1" fish and then a 6" fish you can see why the length's important particularly as they grow, but if you're not intending to have the tank forever then I think it'll do for a while. The other reason for long tanks is the surface area for oxygen exchange is bigger, but stick in an airwand and you should be fine smile.gif You will need 10 gallons per fish as soon as you can, but you do have to work with what you can afford and the 20 gallon for $20 (if it's still available) sounds like a steal to me, I wish I could get tanks that size for that much! Though maybe it's a good thing I can't...I have 6 tanks as it is...

Down to two... Gurkle died. I don't get it! I've been doing a 50-75% water change each day and even checked the water parameters each day. I used the drops, not the strips. They said the levels were fine. If the levels were normal, then how could he have died?

Down to two... Gurkle died. I don't get it! I've been doing a 50-75% water change each day and even checked the water parameters each day. I used the drops, not the strips. They said the levels were fine. If the levels were normal, then how could he have died?

I'm so sorry about your loss. :(

I'm thinking this could be related to the tank size. What did the params say?

was he acting strange? when you say the params were good that is good. however there could have been many bad bacterias in your gravel etc... how was his poop? sometimes fish had intestinal parasites... that is usually shown with white stringy poop. (?)

I'm sorry,Kai :cry1:heart

I'm honestly going by memory now but here is the parameters:

pH: 7.0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20

Ammonia: It was just slightly off; just off from 0.5 I'd say. And that's why I did a 50%-75% water change daily (depending on how high the ammonia was how much I took out. Ya know?)

His poo did have that stringy white to it. I noticed it around the time Raimu got sick and I checked it out on Koko's page. It said it was a bacteria infection so I just started off with just feeding him the anti-bacterial pellets. I thought I'd moniter him for a while and if things got worse then I'd kick the treatment up more. And his poop was looking healthier before I made this thread. That's why I didn't think anything of it when he had the first episode. =(

I'm going to throw out all the gravel. I have a feeling that harbored bad bacteria.

I won't feed you guys all bad news. Raimu's fungus has completely disappeared. After tomorrow I'm going to start easing him off the salt treatment. I still want my poor Gurkle back though. Thank you all for helping me. I'm sorry I failed.

I won't feed you guys all bad news. Raimu's fungus has completely disappeared. After tomorrow I'm going to start easing him off the salt treatment. I still want my poor Gurkle back though. Thank you all for helping me. I'm sorry I failed.

First off I want to say how sorry I am you lost Gurkle. :cry1

Please don't say you failed, you did everything in your power to help him. :k055: Sometimes there is just nothing we can do but you certainly didn't fail. :heart

Oh I am really sorry - you were totally doing all you could! It is just so terrible when they seem to be getting better and suddenly, with no explanation they are gone.... I hope the others will be okey - keep an eye out for anything weird.

I am glad the fungus is gone! Have you Prazied them yet? maybe do a round when you ease off the salt - after a little break...

good luck

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

Thanks. Its just frustrating to have it replay in my mind: "What signs did I miss?" "What actually happened?" "What could have been done right?" Gah! And my follks want me to become a doctor. I can't imagine if something like this happened to a human patient on my watch. >_>

Anywho... The pluses are that Sai and Raimu are still doing good. Daily poop checks says that they're healthy. =) Today's the last day for their anti-bac fish food so tomorrow its back to the yummy stuff. I got the 20 gal tank and I'm letting it do a 24 hr. cycle before I make it a new home. It is tall but I got the bubble wand. =) Though I do have a few more questions:

I have water conditioner and stress zymes. Can I add these in with the salt treatment? Also they are two different brands (the conditioner is "Top Fin" and the stress zymes is "API"). Will it being two seperate brands make any difference, too?

Is the conditioner and stress zymes the same concept as them getting prazied?

Edited by Kai

Don't blame yourself, we've all been there. You've just got to do what you can at the time, sometimes these things happen and you just have to accept that it was their time. I lost a betta last week who went from fine to dead overnight and I was worried about what I'd missed, I'd only had him a few days, but after talking to people on here it turns out he might have been pretty old given how long his fins were and bettas don't generally live that long, 2-3 years is average, so it was likely nothing to do with what I'd done or hadn't done, it was just one of those things but I still felt bad about it.

With regard to your new tank, leaving it for 24 hours will not get it cycled. Just move your current fish filter over and as long as that's cycled you're good to go and can add the fish! Don't leave the filter running without the fish, the bacteria can die if they don't have food for 12 hours and then you will have to start again or nearly so. I would just use the tap conditioner and not bother with the stress-zyme...no idea what that does but I don't think you need it! It's not the same as a Prazi treatment though. The conditioner just removes the chlorine from the tap water, and in some cases heavy metals too ( rockwoot.gif ) to make the water suitable for your fish so they won't die on contact.

Best of luck and I'm sorry you lost your baby sad.gif You're doing the best you can with your current fish though and I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

Stress Zyme is the one that claims to have the beneficial bacteria right? I have used it a few times - cannot say it really works...

yup move your fishies!!! we want pics!

just make sure that when you move them the two tanks have the same pH and temp.

good luck!

You guys are right. Though I'm sorry for you're betta, Devilduck. sad.gif

Hahaha! The lil' dude rockin' out is an awesome touch. rofl3.gif Anywho! I moved the fancies in before the 12 hour mark and I also got some of the Prazi. Handy stuff! I don't want any of those nasty things in my tank!

I made a thread in the Photo Forum for the pictures. Here you go! http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84205-my-beautiful-fancys-in-new-tank/

Oh! And my friend made the mistake of letting me into the nnnnnn fish section. Terrible... terrible. There were 50 goldies in one 5 gal tank and there was literally a pile 2 inches high of dead ones at the bottom. cry3.gif I want to take all the survivors home... I'm thinking of reporting it. Anyways, this is probably classified as too off topic for an emergency forum so I may be making a thread about this somewhere.

Yes I am very late coming into this discussion....sorry I have been in hospital with no computer.

First you need to check your parameters out of your tap as well as your tank. You could have bad levels comeing from tap that we need to address!

If at all possible, keep your Nitrates around 5=10...it is much easier to deal with....my nitrates out of tap are crazy so I don't have a choice, I deal with tons of water changes. If the water is warmer, keep the level of tank water down a bit and create more of a splash with your bubblers. Goldies need lots of oxygen especially when it is warmer. The splash will help.

Remember...fancies 10 gall per fish and 20 gall per single tails. When they are little you can cheat a bit, but always remember they get bigger and you WILL have to get bigger tanks.

Sorry about your fishies, it always hurts to lose one!

Always, always need to be aware of ammonia. Levels are very important! :) Oh and don't ever remove all gravel at once...it will cause a huge cycle bump since you most likely will have tons of BBs living there. You can remove a bit at a time, just keep it in a stocking (nylon) for a few weeks till tank evens out.

Any questions, please ask! Once again, I apologize....I have been MIA and hospitals suck! :heart