Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Squik

Persistant Furuncles

My fantail tends to get the occasional furuncle/cyst/lump/white bacterial ball on her in one spot, which normally goes after a week of salt, then a week of Melafix once it pops... no dramas. I've recently added extra filtration - an Eheim 2012 AquaBall - to boost filtration to 10x to help with this.

But Marty had a lump come up about 3 weeks ago - not long after adding the Aquaball - so I popped him in a 1.5gal QT tank (no filter, just an airhose and 12 hourly 100% water changes like I do with FyshLyps). I salted up to .3% and it popped a few days later, then started the Melafix. I even 'wash' my hands with a little Stress Coat Plus when I lift him back into the new water (so I don't add any of the old water back - I cup him out while I am changing the water and rinsing the tank)... I am being soooooper careful.

It was just starting to heal, when a second one popped up on the opposite side and when it burst, a third popped up near his dorsal fin. Now the three seem to be taking turns cycling... ggggrrrrrr! He has had a couple of days here and there where he passed fat, gelly-like white poos, but most days it is his normal poo.

He is happy enough - eating, scooting around and growing like a weed because of the water changes - but I've used everything I normally use (he also has his food soaked in SeaChem Garlic Guard as an added boost to his immune system) and I don't want to hit the heavier meds - did one round of Tri-Sulpha which seemed to help only a little.

Can I use Melafix/Pimafix and salt together with goldies? I'm at my wits end! :krazy:

059.jpg

a recurring skin ulcer situation like that seems to indicate an ongoing waterborne low-grade infectious bacterial proliferation in your tank. Maybe doing a start-over and over-all sterilization (but keeping your filter media damp and aerated in a separate container so as to avoid killing the beneficial bacteria and having to re-cycle) is in order.