Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Too Many Antibiotics?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 20

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 79.9F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 qt tank.She's been in it since 3/24

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Eheim echo + Emperor 400

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? as needed-@ least 1x/wk

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 3 1/2-4" lionhead

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? r/o water + buff it up

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x/day trip antibiotic food

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Formalin-

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no-ulcer

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She's been stay at the bottom,near an airstone and kind of labored breathing

I moved her into qt on 3/24 to treat a wen ulcer.Started on MG,until 4/16,then switched her to a triple antibiotic food-to present. I was told to give her this food until the ulcer had healed over. It is def healing and white,but not healed over. I have also added a Formalin product from the same co. 3 or 4 x,to prevent any secondary infection. I am treating the bulk of my fish w/ the same regimen as I have been battling a wide spread ulcer problem. Granted she's in a small tank,but she stays at the bottom-usually near an airstone or a corner and her breathing isn't exactly labored,but she just sits in the same place. She def comes around to eat-her appetite is good. I'm wondering if she could have a)been on antibiotics too long-can that take a toll on them?,and b)has she been in a heated tank too long? Those are the only things I can think of. I'm even thinking maybe I should move her into another of the bigger tanks-maybe she just needs more room? Your knowledge would be much appreciated :heart

I would stop the antibotics. Keep an eye on her. Just keep the water clean. She should heal up nicely. That is all I did when my Sunny lost his eye.

Oh no...you have another ulcer :(

the first thing that springs to mind is not antibiotics but formalin. Did you know it removes approx 70% of the waters available oxygen? It is a very serious depleter of dissolved oxygen. Bubblers are great but not nearly as efficient as a highly ruffled literally bubbling water surface to dissolve more oxygen. This would explain labored breathing and her being close to the bubbler.

Ok,an update: All day yesterday I was debating whether or not to move Maka back into the main tank. There is much more splash and oxygen producing activity in there,however:I don't have as much control over keeping the water pristine b/c there are like 14 other fish in the 170g. I did a 60% w/c on her tank-THEN,reversed the python to drain from another tank,BUT left it in her tank while I scraped algae off the other,and by the time I looked up again,I had emptied like 70% of her tank again :yikes OMGoodness-sometimes I just DO NOT think :wall Ok,so given that I had put her through this much already,I decided to move her,thinking the oxygen level would benefit her. Once in the main tank,she went to the bottom,and is still there.There is more current in this tank as well,so she is unable to just hang out at the bottom,like in her qt,and I don't know if this is good or bad :idont I also tested for ammo AFTER I put her in,and it was at .25 :yikes ,and it was way too late for a w/c of that size-using r/o water-so I just left her there,praying that she would be ok :please I am doing a 50-60% w/c in there today also.I am going to see how she does at eating time,getting her fair share. If not well,I will consider moving her back into qt,and hope it's not too much for her :no:

Poor thing. I think all you can do is keep an eye on her and see how it goes. And of course, keep an eye on your water params. Sounds like you might have had a small cycle bump.

Definitey keep an eye on her. Moving fish back and forth can be pretty stressful....granted if you need to you need to! :heart

Just watch her for a couple days and see how she does. Keep an eye on the ammonia level.

Good luck and let us know! :)

Good to hear about the splash. The ammonia is horrible. I have done 90% water changes only to find ammonia in the tank 2 hours later after a cycle crash.

Well,thankfully the ammo is down to 0 this am :bounce I had a partially formulated plan to move her back into qt when I got up-to get her out of the ammo,but now that has stabilized and not a concern. My other thought was to put her back in qt and feed her some probiotic food,b/c I can't think of why else she is staying at bottom :hmm All of my indoors fish have been on the triple antibiotic food for 16 days now,but she's been on a/b longer. 2 weeks is 'the norm' for this food,but it's suggested that you continue until everything has healed over-so I plan on taking it to at least the 3 week mark. She should be able to hang until Friday-she appears exactly the same now as she did in the qt. I will continue to keep a very close eye on her. She does just fine at feeding time-I had been concerned that she may have to compete for food,but everyone seems to get their fair share :Scoff:

I got a couple of pics of her while I had the camera out for another thread:

20100503_0144.jpg

20100503_0145.jpg

You can see her healing ulcer on her little cheek :ill Poor baby :heart

You must be doing something right, because the look of that ulcer gives me some hope that you can beat this ugly thing...that looks like it is healing nicely.