Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amriel

Planted Goldfish Tank Pros And Cons

I was thinking of Doing a lowlight planted Goldfish tank and was wondering for some suggestions on what kind of plants, how deep is the gravel etc.

What Plants would do best in a lowlight planted tank Which has 20w of Lighting and Receives Direct Sunlight for 3-4 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon.

What kind of plants can be kept succesfully with Goldfish?

What kind and how Deep should my gravel be?

Thanks!

-Amriel

so far the only one that has worked well for me is Java Fern. My fish don't eat it. They like to swim through it though. haha.

Edited by brittie

I have java ferns too and my fish love them. They shred them occasionally but so far they've not outcompeted the new growth, and the plants keep my nitrates down to 0ppm all the time :)

I have a very low light tank but both java fern and anubias grow just fine in there. And my fish, who have destroyed most plants I've ever tried to put in there, don't touch these. I have the fern tied onto some driftwood, and the anubias are planted in small containers.

my gold fish have done well with

java ferns

java moss

hydro seimensis (sorry on spelling)

anubia

Green hedge

bronze crypt

micro sword leaves

green crypt

again, some of the names are merely LFS names, i am sure someon can correct me but yes. some of these may as for more light, but i used to use these with a 15 watt light, 2 of them and they grew amazing with no special nutrition except for a nice water change. they are now in my 55 but they did great, and the goldfish never messed around with them. usually people say only anubias and ferns, but it wouldnt hurt to try some other ones. :D

hope this helps

OH! as for how much gravel, 1 inch, at least, but i would push it to 2 minimum. and also just keep the hood lights on for most of the day.

Edited by jls25

Thanks for the Fast replies, i have some leftover money from our trip so i can order in some plants and snails for the tank

*Jis Are they all Lowlight Plants?

-Amriel

As stated above, Anubuis, Java Fern (lace), are good low light plants. Most crypts do well in low light as well.

I have an Amazon sword, it really should be in better than low light, but it dose ok. I like anacharis, it dose very well in low light and they love to munch on it, it grows so fast they don't destroy it. Regarding you question on gravel, most planted aquarium site recomend 3" of substrate to do a planted tank. I have gotten away with 1-1/2", but some roots did pop up. If you check tis site : http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/

She has a section on low-light plants. I have done alot of buisness with her, great prices and awesome service.

There are other plants that have not been mentioned, I use the test method. I buy it, if they don't eat it great, and if they do eat it......I guess I just bought them a fresh salad.

Edited by j-pond

Guest Yankee Kwon

Gravel doesn't serve any real function except to keep the plants from floating to the surface.

If you can figure out a way to keep the plants grounded, you don't need any gravel at all!

As for suitable plants, you should seriously consider bamboo, or any type of hardy, reed-like plant that grows above waterline; these types of plants are an elegant solution to both your gravel and lighting problems.

Above waterline, the plants will get more than enough light. As for gravel: since the plants will be standing above waterline, their buoyancy will be GREATLY reduced and they will tend to sink, thereby eliminating any gravel requirement.

Of course these plants will also avoid any harassment from your fish, unless your fish happen to know how to climb out of the water and hold their breath for good lengths of time.

Another substantial benefit of bamboo or reed-type plants is that they tend to grow very quickly, which suggests that they are soaking up tons of ammonia, turning it into vegetable-matter, and helping to keep your tank clean!

Edited by Yankee Kwon

I've had pretty good success with elodia/egeria. It grows pretty quickly and my goldfish didn't eat it, although they are pretty small fish, under 1" still. I also have Marimo/moss balls, which grew beautifully, but one has a decent-sized bald spot where my oranda has taken a few lengthy snacks from. I'm not sure if my tank is considered low light, but I have an 18" 'natural glow' fluorescent lamp, not sure of the wattage.

As far as the gravel amount, I have about an inch of soil topped with sand then a 1/4-1/2 inch layer of gravel and my elodea is ALWAYS getting knocked out despite the small size of my fish. Some of them have rooted, but most haven't, so every water change I'm re-planting. After my own experience, I would just do gravel rather than soil because it's tougher to vacuum the gravel and make sure I'm keeping it clean.

Good luck!

From my experience, java fern and anubis do well with goldfish. Anarachis get eaten too fast by them. Also, the sunlight that you get will help with the plant growth. If your plants turn yellow, then you may need to add some iron and potassium avalible from supplements. Hope that helps.