Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gigi

Is This River Rock Safe?

My mother in law bought this River Rock for her goldfish tank because they were getting gravel stuck in their mouth. As far as I can tell it's just naturally polished river rock from Wisconsin. She wants me to buy this for my tank but I can't figure out if it will be safe in aquariums. Has anyone used this??

Interesting that you should bring this up,Gigi,b/c I have been thinking of the same thing,and wondering which rocks are ok to use. I wanted some bigger 1s,and saw some nice sized 1s in the floral dept at a local grocery, a bit larger than the 1s I typically see. There was nothing about where they came from on the label,so it made me a little nervous,and I passed-better safe than sorry. I know that Rick,at GFC,suggests polished river rock. Probably if you soak them for a while it would be ok,but that may not even be necessary.It will be interesting to see someone weigh in on this.Thanks for the post................

The only real good way to find out if its safe is to soak the rocks in Vinegar water and see if it bubbles... Check this link out hun :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8441-rocks/

That's what I told my mother in law but she decided to just throw them in. I hope they will be okay. Someday I need to get all the gravel out and put some river rock on the bottom of my tank. Maybe this summer. Thanks for your help guys! :heart

Those rocks are safe. I have them in my tank. Same brand and everything. :)

I like to use non-aquarium rocks for my tanks because it is just so darned expensive to buy all your river rocks from the petstore!

I wanted to buy my pond substrate from the local landscaping company....but I thought it would be too much of a risk, so I forked out the $100 for the gravel....but that is the ONLY specifically "for aquarium" substrate I use and I have had no problems.

I do the vinegar test whenever I buy anything! :)