Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
caitie

Emerald Crabs

84 posts in this topic

Haven't found my mystery killer, but I did find the culprit for the bubble algae. I was enjoying watching my tank :rest: and I notice that one of my blue legged hermits is really focused on something behind one of the rocks. So I go take a look and the little bugger is picking at some bubble algae. :saywhat Not just a little bit either he is bursting the bubbles! :veryangry: No wonder this stuff is growing everywhere, it's literally taking over the tank. Right now it's at the stage where some bubbles are just rolling on the sand.And I still can't bring myself to buy another emerald crab, first off I find them expensive if they are going to die in the next 24 hours, and I find it cruel to buy one just to kill him. I guess I could remove the guilty hermit but who knows if the others are having a go at the bubbles too? I swear one day I'm gonna convert that tank into a goldies tank! :)

You have a protein skimmer on that tank hun, how the nitrates in that tank?

You have a protein skimmer on that tank hun, how the nitrates in that tank?

No I don't have a skimmer on it but the nitates are always o or undetectable on the test. That is probably because the tank is a 29 gallon and only has a cleaner shrimp and a small cleanup crew. I am very understocked. I have adapted an aquaclear 110 which is filled to the brim with live sand and live rock rubble and chaetomorpha. I also have a canister eheim filter and the media baskets also contain only live rock and live sand. Plus I do weekly water changes and I syphon off any debris I see on the rocks and sand. :)

No I don't have a skimmer on it but the nitates are always o or undetectable on the test. That is probably because the tank is a 29 gallon and only has a cleaner shrimp and a small cleanup crew. I am very understocked. I have adapted an aquaclear 110 which is filled to the brim with live sand and live rock rubble and chaetomorpha. I also have a canister eheim filter and the media baskets also contain only live rock and live sand. Plus I do weekly water changes and I syphon off any debris I see on the rocks and sand. :)

phosphate is the main one for algae growth, you could run some rwoaphos to lower it, how often are you harvesting your Cheato ?

Edited by Padda's pal

how often are you harvesting your Cheato ?

Thanks for the response, I'll have to look into that. I guess here in Canada it will be Phosban I have to use. I've never had to harvest my cheato it grows extremely slowly. :unsure:

You know I've been thinking about that phosphate theory and I don't think it applies in this case. I also have a 7 gallon nano, basically same set up and basically same bioload in relation to size and not one bit of algae except the coralline algae. So I really do think the bubble algae in the 29 gallon is spreading because the hermit/hermits are popping it.

Yeah they are popping it hun, problem is even with the nitrates being at 0, there is particles that will help that algae grow. When I had my 45 gal tank I had to get a skimmer cause I started to get Red and bubble algae in the tank. Once I got the skimmer it stopped for me :)

Yeah they are popping it hun, problem is even with the nitrates being at 0, there is particles that will help that algae grow. When I had my 45 gal tank I had to get a skimmer cause I started to get Red and bubble algae in the tank. Once I got the skimmer it stopped for me :)

Darn, then I got a big problem. One money wise a skimmer is out for a good long while. And also my apartment building is very old (over 80 yrs old) with all it's original electrical wiring. There is absolutely no way I can add an extra electrical item in that room. I can't even plug in a lamp in that room without blowing a fuse. :krazy: I guess I'll have to try and figure something out. Even moving the tank to another room is a problem because the floors won't support the weight of a 29 gallon reef. :(

funny-pictures-cat-bites-bubble-wrap.jpg

:)

Would a UV steriliser work?

With your plugs issue, rather than moving the 29 gallon tank, do you have any small tanks like bettas with heaters that you could move where there won't be a weight issue? That would free up a plug or two for a gadget and maybe even that lamp you keep blowing the fuses with!

Nope the 29 gallon is the only tank in the living room. :( I don't know how they built these buildings you got a big room with only two plugs. :doh11: And these plugs are back to back with plugs from the other rooms, that means that whatever is plugged in my parents room is basically plugged in the living room and also the hallway. If that makes any sense? My bedroom is connected with the dining room and part of the kitchen. So you have to know what you can use and when. For example you can't use the iron and watch tv at the same time. So with my fish obsession everywhere I could there is a tank. Hallway an support the 20 gallon with Hercules and Coquin. My bedroom has Bandit. The dining room is the fish room. One wall has the 15 gallon with Fern the common. The other wall has the 7 gallon nano reef. The third wall has two 5 gallons with some danios I had to isolate and I have betta bowls 'strategically' place here and there. I can only hope there will never be an earthquake. :blink: The only tank that has a heater is the 29 gallon tank. It's just that reef tanks use up so much equipment, the lighting strip has 2 plugs, the canister filter, the aquaclear refugium, the powerhead, the heater, the light for the refugium. It's wild!

By the way I love that cat!!!

I wish I had my old skimmer that I used on my Salt water tank hun....

See UV works different than the skimmers. Skimmers, suck skim the water taking all particles out of the water by bubbling it up in a tube then you need to clean it...

UV zaps bugs and algae. :)

Thanks Koko. I guess I'll have to try and work something out or I might end up getting rid of the reef tank. It's turning out to be so expensive and time consuming. :ignore My brother would hate me if I do get rid of it but if I can't afford to keep it nice what's the use? It's driving me nuts seeing all those bubbles everywhere.

I thought the spores being released by the popping bubbles were a type of algae so could be dealt with using a UV, no? I don't know much about saltwater tanks, it's something I'd like to get into but just don't have the money or the space right now.

I thought the spores being released by the popping bubbles were a type of algae so could be dealt with using a UV, no? I don't know much about saltwater tanks, it's something I'd like to get into but just don't have the money or the space right now.

I just did a quick search on that and the opinions are divided. Yes it should absorb the spores that are being released but it would also interfere with the desirable algae. I got real excited while I was researching the uv, I read about a fish called a foxface that would eat the bubble algae but it needs a 75 gal tank minimum. I guess for the time being I'll arm myself with the siphon and just try and pluck them out manually. What a pain. :(

Well I just went hunting for the bubble algae. I spent the last hour picking it out of the tank. I'm quite happy that I managed to get a massive amount out without popping any. A rare event. :) So I'm happy but my corals are really unhappy. I pretty much irritated everybody and everybody paid me back by becoming very slimy. Which in turn irritated my hands. Oh well small price to pay to get rid of the bubbles. I guess I'll be doing this as often as possible, maybe that will control them until I can find a solution. (Protein skimmer ;) )

reason i'm saying phosphate is because you are having trouble with algae and your nitrate is low, also high phosphate slows cheato growth while other algae love it,

maybe you could take a sample of your water to be tested

bubbles been popped will spread algae but to grow needs food,

myself i would do a big clear out then run some phos remover or you could look into dosing vodka but youd need a skimmer

if you were a bit closer i have a spare skimmer

Edited by Padda's pal

reason i'm saying phosphate is because you are having trouble with algae and your nitrate is low, also high phosphate slows cheato growth while other algae love it,

myself i would do a big clear out then run some phos remover or you could look into dosing vodka but youd need a skimmer

Thanks. :D

Maybe you can help me understand this a bit more. I'm not very good at water chemistry. So if this is phosphate in my tank and it does sound as if that is the problem, why am I not having the same trouble in my nano? Not a trace of any algae in there except the coralline. Or should I expect to start having trouble there too? I just like to be prepared. ;)

Now the plan here until I can get a skimmer would be to do more wc , to use a product like Phosban and manual removal of all bubble algae?

Thanks. :D

Maybe you can help me understand this a bit more. I'm not very good at water chemistry. So if this is phosphate in my tank and it does sound as if that is the problem, why am I not having the same trouble in my nano? Not a trace of any algae in there except the coralline. Or should I expect to start having trouble there too? I just like to be prepared. ;)

Now the plan here until I can get a skimmer would be to do more wc , to use a product like Phosban and manual removal of all bubble algae?

impossible to say what the nano's doing but if coralline growing well that would suggest a low Po4 as it inhibits it, testing water would always be first option to know whats happening although Po4 tests are notoriously hard to read i have the high sensitivity Merck/D&D test even this isn't the easiest to distinguish between colours, reckon skimmer would make your life alot easier :)

Do you have a power filter in there?

Each tank has a canister filter and an aqua clear HOB. But I don't use any sponges or anything like that in my filters. The canister filters contain some sand (it gets sucked in) and I fill up the media baskets with live rock rubble. You should see the amount of sponges that develop and live in there! :) The Aquaclears contain a little liverock rubble and my chaeto and accidentally a ton of tube worms. :D

When I had my 45 gal Tank hun. I had a Emperor filter all I used in that was filter floss, then I had a Canister with filter floss and bio balls. I also had a Power filter with a sponge attached and a Power Head to keep the flow in the tank going, the power head with a skimmer really helped my tank. The only problem I had in there was green algae that was cause the tank got direct sun light from out side. :o

I must admit, I'm very sorry for your plight Edith but I find this thread fascinating. I'd love to start a nano reef tank, maybe in 18 months when I'm unlikely to be moving for a few years, and I am picking up all sorts of nuggets of information. It's not something I've really seriously looked into yet but it's interesting seeing some of the quirky problems that can crop up that don't come into 'nano-reefs 101' if you know what I mean.

When I had my 45 gal Tank hun. I had a Emperor filter all I used in that was filter floss, then I had a Canister with filter floss and bio balls. I also had a Power filter with a sponge attached and a Power Head to keep the flow in the tank going, the power head with a skimmer really helped my tank. The only problem I had in there was green algae that was cause the tank got direct sun light from out side. :o

That's interesting didn't the floss and the sponge cause more problems with Nitrate? We were told to not use any of that in the filter, just the live rock. So the filters as far as I can see are just circulating the water. We also have a Koralia power head in there, I guess we really really need a skimmer. :(

It is just weird because apart from the bubble algae we have no problem with water quality. The coralline algae is growing great! The corals are all multiplying like crazy and even the red sea xenia is doing great, usually that melts when something is wrong with the quality. :idont Anyway I'll start looking into getting a skimmer and try to set something up so it can run, maybe I can remove one of the filters so that I can use that electrical outlet. We'll see.

I must admit, I'm very sorry for your plight Edith but I find this thread fascinating. I'd love to start a nano reef tank, maybe in 18 months when I'm unlikely to be moving for a few years, and I am picking up all sorts of nuggets of information. It's not something I've really seriously looked into yet but it's interesting seeing some of the quirky problems that can crop up that don't come into 'nano-reefs 101' if you know what I mean.

When you start doing your research, let me know and I can fill you in on some info that I found. I researched for almost a year before I set up the 29 gallon. I found some really good sites, I can share with you if you want. :)

Edith I found something that might help with your algae problem! We bought some API Prevent Algae for Admiral Tovil-Toba's bright green tank, all free-floating algae was seriously gone in 10 minutes. It contains PhosZorb and is apparently good for corals too. Might be worth a look into? here and here. Cheaper than a UV ster and you can just pop a pouch in one of your existing filters. Get the ok from a SW forum obviously but I'm really impressed with what it's done in my FW tank :D