Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
caitie

Emerald Crabs

84 posts in this topic

Be very careful putting your hands in there hun. I did the mistake once and found out I had bristle worms in my tank, and OH BOY did that hurt, Its like having glass splinters in your skin :yikes

Yes I have some too and they are scary. I try to keep my hands as far from the sand as possible and when I have to touch the rocks, either to manipulate the corals or just to remove some bubble algae I usually approach the rock with a bamboo skewer first and it usually makes the worms retreat further into the rocks. I've never been stung by one but I have a friend who was and his arm became red and swollen.

Between the stinging hydroids, bristle worms and vermetid gastropods it's a real jungle in the tank. :o

Yeah and you know some Corals will sting too, I had a reaction to my elephant ear mushroom.....

Yeah and you know some Corals will sting too, I had a reaction to my elephant ear mushroom.....

Sounds bad. The ones I keep don't seem to sting. But I do have ricordias that I call Killer because they will eat anything that land on them. :o I once saw a big one with shrimp antenna's sticking out of it's mouth. I couldn't find my shrimp and I was sure he ate it. :yikes Turns out it was just the molt but he ate it! :rolleyes:

By the way I tried the bait with the lights out and nothing strange happened but Mistinguette my shrimp had a super bedtime snack. :ymmu I'll try again in a few days with some other bait.

This is a really interesting thread!

I can offer no advice, but I am waiting with baited breath for the mystery to be solved.

It's funny (not :lol1 funny, but :hmm funny) that your emerald crabs are being preyed upon, as in my bf's saltie tank.....the emerald crabs ARE the predators! He got them as hitch hikers on his live-rock and they have killed quite a few of his fish and at least two sexy shrimp.

ryukin girl You sure its not Gorilla crabs. They look just like Em's but there front pincers are black tipped and pointy :o

I had 2 of them once and they are just flat out RUDE :lol

This is a really interesting thread!

I can offer no advice, but I am waiting with baited breath for the mystery to be solved.

It's funny (not :lol1 funny, but :hmm funny) that your emerald crabs are being preyed upon, as in my bf's saltie tank.....the emerald crabs ARE the predators! He got them as hitch hikers on his live-rock and they have killed quite a few of his fish and at least two sexy shrimp.

As Koko said maybe they aren't really emeralds. Alot of these inverts look alike but can be dangerous. I believe the emerald crabs can become bothersome but only when they get alot bigger. I wish I would have them as hitchhikers because they are expensive around here. That's why it's frustrating when they die off so quickly. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they are emeralds.....but only because that's what Steve calls 'em! :) I'm trying really hard to get as excited about his salt water tank as he is....but it's so hard when his goldfish are all the way across the room :)

I'm pretty sure they are emeralds.....but only because that's what Steve calls 'em! :) I'm trying really hard to get as excited about his salt water tank as he is....but it's so hard when his goldfish are all the way across the room :)

Same here Sarah, I like having the salt water tanks they are interesting but my heart is with the goldies all the way. :heart

If I ever have to pick between the two then the salt water is out. :idea That would mean an extra 29 gal. for more goldies...... :hummm

emeralds wont kill and eat fish, prob as Koko says gorillas

got stung by a dwarf fuzzy lionfish hurt a fair bit and arm looked like a rugby ball :(

have a mate that was stung by a cataphyllia and he still has small rash like marks but i have touched same coral and nothing ?

Nasty Dudes.....

Picture003-1.jpg

brown_crab_1.jpg

Good Guys

green_crab_1.jpg

Nice pics Koko. That 2nd one of the gorilla crab looks alot like one of the "emeralds" I had in the very beginning. :o The only comforting thought is that I know for sure he died. :lol2

Well I tried again last night, this time I tried a piece of scallop (maybe he's a gourmet :yeah: ) I turned off the lights and waited two hours and then I slowly moved the piece of food around all the rocks. Nothing! It was very disappointing. Do you think there could still be a predator but he isn't interested by dead food? If that is the case I don't know what I could try except maybe sacrifice a fish. Which is something I'm not really tempted to try. :( Any suggestions?

Hummm...

Now we did a drip on the crabs too when you got them....?

Dang Im going to have to think hard about this. :o

Yeah I always do a slow slow drip on my inverts. I looked bank in my log and it was almost a 3 hour drip. The snails and the maroon legged hermits and the nassarius snails that were with him all survived so I'm thinking maybe I was just unlucky and got a sick crab. I might just try again from another source I just found out about another store at the other end of the city (naturally) that is apparently excellent about cleaner crews.

If you wanted to try live food you could maybe try getting some live bloodworms or maggots from a fishing shop? I don't know whether you can put them in a SW tank and there's always a contamination risk but it's better than sacrificing a fish...you could just hold them in some long tweezers or something, with maggots you can put them on a fishing hook and literally go fishing in your tank, as long as nothing else grabs it and gets the hook. The non-barbed ones don't catch anyway, just prick, no long term damage. Just a thought.

Good luck with your new crab source!

If you wanted to try live food you could maybe try getting some live bloodworms or maggots from a fishing shop? I don't know whether you can put them in a SW tank and there's always a contamination risk but it's better than sacrificing a fish.

That's a good idea Sarah, I'll have to find out if I can use that in a reef tank. Even the thought of getting a new crab if there is still a risk something will kill it doesn't sit well with me. I usually prefer to keep my pets alive. :rolleyes:

wow interesting thread! i have no idea such 'THINGS' could get into at home SW tanks!!!

wow interesting thread! i have no idea such 'THINGS' could get into at home SW tanks!!!

You have no idea! :yeah: One day I'd like to take the time to make a short video to show what happens in a reef tank. I think that would be so interesting.

I am also finding this fascinating. These things live hidden in the sand and the rocks? And you never see them in the day? I had No Idea! And am, like others, waiting with bated breath for the mystery to be solved!

And am, like others, waiting with bated breath for the mystery to be solved!

So am I! :blink:

Edited by caitie

Did you get another Crab? Seen anything hun...

Me Im stumped :yikes

:idont I haven't found anything but while I was making that slide show called Reef Video I found the picture of a crab claw we found a while back. It was a molt and the claw was red with yellow and black dots. I had forgotten that. So now I wonder if that molted claw might belong to my mystery killer?

The plot thickens....have you tracked down what critter that molt belongs to? Like the type of crab? If it's a benign crab then that's not it...but it might be the culprit! Not to sound colour-ist but red, black and yellow usually go with nasty animals or ones pretending to be nasty to escape other nasties.

The plot thickens....have you tracked down what critter that molt belongs to? Like the type of crab? If it's a benign crab then that's not it...but it might be the culprit! Not to sound colour-ist but red, black and yellow usually go with nasty animals or ones pretending to be nasty to escape other nasties.

It usually works like that doesn't it the most colorful are the most dangerous? I never did id that molt but then I wasn't super motivated back then since nothing had died in my tank. I guess I'll have to start searching the net again. :)