Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Ok,this Is Just Too Weird..........

I haven't posted in this part of the forum in a long time,and figured it must be the place for this.....................I set up a 130g pond on my patio last summer,to hold my GF until the big tank arrived. I bought 'Water Lettuce" plants 2x,and as the fish widdled them down to almost nothing,I would lift them out and put them in a big tupped ware container,w/ an air stone,hoping they would grow back and I'd have this years plants w/ them. They were going gang busters,then when it got colder,I noticed them getting small again.Then a couple of months ago,I noticed there were some snails in there-the pointy kind-but very small-and I supposed they had just crawled in and made themselves at home :idont I have been meaning to dump the water out of that container and replace it w/ fresh b/c I had put pond sludge in there to grow them.Ok,so I'm just out,finally doing that w/ a hose,and through the GREEN MURKY water-I see a TINY FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes Ok you guys,I have thought about putting some feeders in that container for the plants,BUT,I HAVE NEVER DONE IT!!!!! :o I am flabberghasted :saywhat This is some kind of mystery :theater: I cannot even begin to imagine..............Anyone?????? When I brought those plants home,I soaked them in pp for hours,then they were in the pond for a long time. Here are some pics of the little guy-hes only about 1- 1 1/2"............................

20100420_0069.jpg20100420_0070.jpg20100420_0071.jpg20100420_0072.jpg

Can anyone identify what kind of fish he is?

PS-I am open to suggestions here.................

Oh wow! I think it's an oranda..but hard to tell from the photos. My guess is the water lettuce you removed had some eggs stuck to it.

It really looks like a baby goldfish to me... but I'm not too sure :hmm Is it possible your fish bred and a few lucky babies survived without you trying?

It really looks like a baby goldfish to me... but I'm not too sure :hmm Is it possible your fish bred and a few lucky babies survived without you trying?

I guess it's possible :thud I haven't moved any of the plants over in several months,and have had mostly Teles out there for a while too. If he did come from the pond,he was a sole survivor b/c I have never found any babies in the pond-or elsewhere for that matter. IF he is a goldie,do you think being in a smaller plastic container could have kept him small?

With that tail it's a goldie for sure. I would think the scarce food and (I presume) cold temperature kept him small. Time to warm him up and feed him! :D

That's too crazy! Definitely looks like a goldie, I can't guess what kind, but I think you should name him Lucky :rofl

Wow that is too crazy! Looks like a little Oranda to me, and I would agree that he probably has been stunted due to the container size and availability of food. He should come around in your larger tank with your good care. Very interesting story! Lucky is a great name too! :)

-Dennis

That's too crazy! Definitely looks like a goldie, I can't guess what kind, but I think you should name him Lucky :rofl

LOL :tomuch: Lucky is a def possibility :wub:

What should I do w/ him? I changed the water in the container w/ more pond water,and put him back :idont Will the bigger fish in the pond eat him? He's been living on plants and sludge,for sure-a vegetarian of sorts :goldfish: It amazes me how I pay SOOOOOOOO much attention to water quality,and here,this guy has living in this :oops: I don't have a spare tank at the moment(come to think of it,I NEVER have a spare tank :oops: ),so my only options are to leave him where he is,put him in the pond w/ the Teles,or another container w/o a filter.And,the water was quite cold in that container,but i refilled it w/ pond water,so hopefully that wasn't too much of a shock for him :bingo: What do you guys think I should do?

How big are the teles in your pond? And have they ever been aggressive? Keeping him in an unfiltered container is not a good idea, he may have survived this long in one but with food that won't last. I think either putting him in the pond or buying a rubbermaid and filter for him are your only two options.

The Teles are like 4-5",and I have never known them to be aggressive. There is also a small-2"-ryukin in there,are they aggressive? I suppose I could put him in a breeder net in the pond,what do you think?

Yes I think that's a great idea. Put him in and see how that goes :)

Ok,here are some pics of Lucky in his new diggs-a breeder box inside of the pond.I was afraid that he might be bite-sized for the others :hide: I put some gel food in w/ him,and he didn't seem to know what to do w/ it-of course,I'm sure he's somewhat terrified by the world :yikes Poor little guy :heart Is there something else I should feed him? I have to go out now,but will be home in a couple of hours.

20100420_0076.jpg20100420_0074.jpg20100420_0073.jpg

That's amazing, Susan!!!! What a survivor. And not a common; he looks pretty fancy for a sludge survivor! He'll probably be happy with something to hide in, or lots of floaters to hide under. :)

We have a few fish coloured like that, and once they were let loose in the pond we only saw them once in a blue moon.

"Lucky" indeed!

Wow what a crazy story. He is definitely a goldfish. The breeders box was a great idea. Keep little Lucky safe! :heart

Looks like a good spot for him to stay safe for now :) I'm still smiling and shaking my head as I'm reading and posting, it IS just too weird :rofl

I still can't get over this! Bless his heart. :heart All these fish of ours we know and love and do everything every day to give them the best life possible, and he survives the sludge alone without feeding or express love. What an amazing find and survivor!

WOW!!!What an amazing story :) Lucky he sure is :)the first pic I thought Blue oranda???let's wait and see what he turns into :) Congrats on the new adition :)

I believe that color is very common for goldfish 'babies,' he might just change during the summer :)

COOOOL!

Maybe some one you know would like to have him?

That's not 'weird' that's AWESOME! And at the same time just a little sad, poor little guy. Hopefully he'll grow up healthy and then can go in the pond proper with your telescopes. At least you can maybe bring him in for winter this time around! If you're only slightly overstocked you might get away with it for the winter. Or can you put him in the telescopes tank if they're in the pond? Presumably they don't stay out there all year?

Keep us updated with lots of pics of him please! He's cute ;)

I got nothing, other than that is a cute baby goldie! He was meant for you!!! How mysterious and fun!!!

What a cutie! I can't wait to watch him grow. I bet he will eventually figure the food out, but you could try brine shrimp or something stinky like that.

Thats so amazing, your so lucky. He's pretty, take good care of him :)

So,today,I am calling him Zing-for amaZing :wub: We may end up going through a few miraculous type names before 1 really sticks here :popcorn Ok,the little guy made it through his 1st night in 'captivity' :goldfish: I keep going out to check on him,still in disbelief of the whole story,myself :pond I am so excited about this,you guys,I absolutely cannot wait to see what he develops into :bounce I think that's why I go check on him so often :heart:teehee In my mind,he is going to be 1 fabulous fishy :9 As I recall,I've only had 1 Oranda out there-and it was a 9 incher,black,that died suddenly for no apparent reason-that I could tell,anyway,about 4 or 5 mos ago :death I will DEF keep you guys updated w/ pics and observations-he'll be a Koko's baby :wub: I think he has figured out the food thing b/c I see some VERY tiny green poos in there-microscopic compared to what I'm used to seeing around here :P I had thought about putting him on the antibiotic food that I'm treating w/ at the moment,but am afraid it may be too much for such a little virgin digestive tract :wacko:

Zing is a fantastic name! Hope he's doing well today :)