Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lirpa1

Gibby Now. 3Rd Fish :(

Geesh. Is there a place at koko's to just go a cry? :( I wan2 go there

Now Gibby is suddenly missing an eye. and I bet Bertie or most likely Lulu "plucked" it out. Its still bleeding,s o I have her in QT and .01% salt with her own food.

Gibby had dropsy, bertie's fins are shredded, and now gibby is missing an eye. What am I doing wrong? I have had a good run for a year and a half and now problem after problem after problem. It's really disheartening. I'm just so confused. :( I dont know what I am doing wrong!?

Bertie and Lulu are much bigger than Gibby. One eye has been plucked clean out. Its just gone, but she seems fine. what did a fish do, just suck it out of the socket? Is she going to lose the other eye if I put her back in:why:

and I cant edit my above post now either :( Im so mixed up

LULU - had dropsy. Now is much better

BERTIE - Shredded fins we cant seem to make better

NOW GIBBY - An eye is completely missing. ALl we have is a tinny empty crater where it was this morning.:cry1

:k055: April I'm so sorry your having such bad luck recently. Did you notice Lulu or Bertie harassing Gibby? Could Gibby have got his eye caught on something in the tank? maybe the filter intake? You did good in isolating him and adding salt.:) Don't put him back in right away, take time to see if the other two seem to be acting aggressive towards each other.

What am I doing wrong? I have had a good run for a year and a half and now problem after problem after problem. It's really disheartening. I'm just so confused. :( I don't know what I am doing wrong!?

I'm sure you are not to blame sweetie.:heart

Edited by caitie

Well, they havent harassed her. just chase her, but they chase each other too. and all three fight at feeding time. :(

I noticed this morning Bertie flashing for some reason?! I have prazi'd them. So Lulu and Bertie and currently being prazi'd and Gibby is being salted.

She's been with Bertie for like 3 weeks and fine. So I think it's Lulu. :( Lulu is more of a bully... but it isnt as if she's awful. and Bertie doesnt take it from her. I dont know. Im trying to figure it out.

I noticed this morning Bertie flashing for some reason?! I have prazi'd them.

It is normal when you add prazi that if they have flukes they will flash. My common never flashed and after I prazi'd he was flashing for a couple of days.

So I think it's Lulu. :( Lulu is more of a bully...

If they are a lot bigger than Gibby then maybe he can't defend himself. Without being really aggresive maybe they just sucked his eye thinking it was food?

The important thing now is to keep his water really clean and salted as you have done. Check on him to make sure his eye socket doesn't get infected. If you notice any signs that all is not well you can always use some melafix to help him heal. :heart

Ok thanks Caitie. I have melafix on hand. and Bertie only flashed this morning when I woke up. I watched him and he did a "flashdance" across the tank. So I prazi'd right after removing Gibby. I had to babysit tonight so didnt get home til late.

*sigh* I read a thread earlier about "pluckers" and missing eyes on the fish and I thought, well I'm lucky my fish have their eyes. And what do I come home to??? :( Gibby's eyes are much smaller, as Bertie and Lulu have big BIG eyeballs due to being a black moor and telescope. So yea, maybe one of them thought she had some food stuck to her face and ate an eye :(

What happens if I put Gibby back in and her other eye gets eaten??? Do I salt to .03% or .01% is fine since it isn't really bad? I just put her in the smaller tank as it is much easier for the constant water changes :hug Thanks

oh April I'm so sorry! *big big hugs*

how has the water testing been? the tap hasn't changed has it?

I've read many threads here about fish that loose and eye and they've made full recoveries so I'm sure Gibby will heal fine. It must have been so awful to find her like that! I think the qt was the best idea for her. She might need to be on her own until she catches up growth wise with the other two or you can look into getting a tank divider?

Hang in there!!! :heart

The tap here always seems to stay the same - PH at 8.0 sometimes 7.8 and the other readings 0. Gibby seems fine in her lil tank. Maybe I'll leave her there for awhile. Til she's half their size at least. or find a tank divider :) Thanks guys. Im sure she'll be fine. Just seems like something else to add to my list of things to go wrong. Off to bed now I guess. Another long day tomorrow.

it's good the tap is the same, that was the only thing I could really think of that could be causing problems. hopefully a Mod will stop in and help out! :) sleep well! :)

I just want to give you a virtual hug. I am so sorry you are having a rough go of things.

Thanks :) Gibby is fine this morning. Swimming around with her one eye.

I have a few questions:

1: Is a black moor still a black moor even when no longer black?

2: Do pearlscales even go with telescopes? I didnt read anything that said they were not compatible when putting them together.

3: If both eyes were gone, would Gibby still be ok?

4: with a tank divider, do you then need two filters?

Thanks :) Gibby is fine this morning. Swimming around with her one eye.

I have a few questions:

1: Is a black moor still a black moor even when no longer black?

2: Do pearlscales even go with telescopes? I didnt read anything that said they were not compatible when putting them together.

3: If both eyes were gone, would Gibby still be ok?

4: with a tank divider, do you then need two filters?

1. nope, he's just a telescope if he's lost his black. I believe Daryl has said that a true black moor is RARE and will always be black.

2. pearlies are a bit slower than other gf so I'm not sure about this. could be up to you whether they go together or not but if the telescope eats all the food then they should be separated (at least when feeding so the slower one gets a chance to eat).

3. I think I've read somewhere on here about no-eyed fish, but they'd require special care and definitely would need to be fed separately or they'd have no chance eating.

4. the tank dividers I've seen allow water to pass through, so I'd say no. but if the divider is completely solid I'd probably pass on it and make my own with the plastic light grate for fluorescent lights. you should be able to find it at any hardware store and it looks pretty much like this, link. sorry I looked all over lowes but couldn't find it...I may be calling it by the wrong name, lol.

I found a picture on GFC with the diy divider I mentioned above. :)

AUC_152_4.JPG