Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lirpa1

Fin Rot

I just don't get what is wrong with Bertie's Fins! its like fin rot. Started off with a tear, and then it got worse and that bit of fin fell off. so he has a bit off missing fin. And then the bottom of one fin was ripped and started looking awful, but now it is fixing itself. And then he had a small circle of white in the middle of the other fin (all dorsal fins btw) and that became a hole - which looks like fin rot. I clean once a week, test my waters. Ammonia stays near to 0 - .25. Nitrate - currentl at about 6-7 but I am about to do another big WC. Nitrite - 0. PH 8.2

But I am always making sure the water is clean etc?!? Why will his fins not heal?

I am adding in Lulu, who had a bad case of dropsy about 2 weeks ago - but has been in QT nearly 3 weeks, and recovered for almost 2 weeks. Then I will start salting the tank to .03%. Surely this will help with the fin problems?

I say fin rot, because yes, its black around the edges, yet then starts growing back.

I just dont get why it wont hurry up and heal?! Thanks for any suggestions

Have you tried something like Melafix for the the tail hun? I know your in Assie but there should be something like that. It sounds like a bacterial infection that keeps attacking the fins :(

yea i have tried melafix, salt... i can try again. maybe with a bare tank it'll work better

I just noticed that you said it could be bacterial? Would rubbing a tad bit of iodine on his fins while he is out of the water help? Also, I just had Lulu who recovered from an awful case of dropsy. Could there be something in the tank which I need to deal with, or is it just a one off? How do you get rid of this bacteria? :-/

Will the bacter re-affect Lulu, and continue to attacl Bertie's fins? And what about my new fish? :(

Oh no April!sad.gif I just saw this post tonight. I'm having issues with my pc so I'm not on for very long when I can log on at all.mad1.gif Can you remind me what you're set up is? Gravel or barebottom? Didn't you just remove all your gravel because of worms? If you did you might be having a cycle bump which could affect Berties fins. Even just a little ammonia will cause him problems if he already had problems with finrot before. Do you have pimafix? Pimafix helps with bacterial problems, I have used a combination of melafix and pimafix together for finrot before and it worked really well. I used half the recommended dose of melafix and half the dose of pimafix. Mind you it is natural so it doesn't always work but it might be worth a try.

Keep us posted.heartpump.gif I'll try to check back in tomorrow night but I won't be on during the day I have to reinstall Windows on my PC.wall.gif

I dont have any [pima fix but I can get a small thing later this week. he isnt stressed or in pain, it just doenst look nice!

as for my set-up, it is a

*52 gal which is currently 50% full due to the bowing problem we are having krazy.gif

* there was only two fish in the tank, but now 3. Bertie, Lulu, and Gibby. Bertie is abot 3 or so inches, from tail to nose. Lulu is just uner - so maybe 2.5. and Gibby is tiny at perhaps 1.5 inches. two teles and one pearly.

* Current filter is a eheim for 40 litres or so.

* weekly water changes, currently at 50% a week and 90%-100% every 3-4 weeks.

*It is barebottom at the moment because of those worms!! but the tank is cycled b/c before my WC two days ago I had 10 nitrates. so that should be fine.

We'll just keep plodding along and try to get them to heal lol. Like i said, he isnt hurting or stressed - just the fin isn't a beautiful due to the tears. I do believe perhaps there oculd have been a bump when I removed all the rocks last week, but then again I use those bio-noodles in my filter so the tank is still cycled?

*It is barebottom at the moment because of those worms!! but the tank is cycled b/c before my WC two days ago I had 10 nitrates. so that should be fine.

We'll just keep plodding along and try to get them to heal lol. Like i said, he isnt hurting or stressed - just the fin isn't a beautiful due to the tears. I do believe perhaps there oculd have been a bump when I removed all the rocks last week, but then again I use those bio-noodles in my filter so the tank is still cycled?

The reason I mentioned the cycle is that when I removed all the gravel from one of my tanks that was cycled for a few years I had a horrible time getting rid of the ammonia, even if I had all the media in my filter. Alot of the bb's are in the gravel. But since you're testing that might not be the problem. Hopefully he'll heal himself soon.heartpump.gif

Edited by caitie

Yea, I may try the melafix and aquarium salt again this week. Maybe with bare bottom it'll help more? If no luck, i'll bring in pima fix next week with the melafix.

Lulu is still doing well, she seems a bit weaker than the others but I believe that is improving. What I mean by weaker, is over the weekend, when I would wake up and Bertie and Lulu would be zooming around the tank, she'd kind of rest for an extra hour and then be fine for the rest of the day. But she still loves her foods so she seems fine to me :) This morning she was up and zooming around when I got up at six, so I think the gel food is helping her to regain her strength.

Its still there!! GRRRR

I have tried melafix and will use the last this weekend, I'll salt again as I just did a big WC. all readings are perfect so it isnt ammonia. I'll try a dose of pima-fix. Only problem is that i am BROKE :( Being a poo university student who works is hard! blah... i'll order it online and get it next week. online is cheaper maybe hmm

You have an air bubbler in there hun, ?

Sorry this is still going on April.:( Any chance you could get a picture of his fins. I researched the Pimafix and apparently it will help the finrot only if it has white edges to it.

Its unfortunate you can't get your hands on some Jungle antibacterial food. That might help if the melafix and salt don't.

Another question :rolleyes: I can't remember if you ever prazi'd your fish?

I cant get a picture for a few days as I wont be home till really late and I leave really early. I have 4 bubblers in the tank. and yea, I prazi'd the fish when I got Lulu, they got re-prazi'd when I prazi'd Gibby, and they just got Prazi'd again twice, a couple weeks ago.

I need to get pimafix, but after the dentist and hair appointment tonight, I'll have to wait a couple more days for $$.

It has to bacterial though because the ammonia and nitrites never get high at all. The nitrates might get to 5 on water change day.

Gibby is still in the QT tank until I can get a tank divider. Also, someone in the family just busted their fish tank, so they're dropping off a fish for me to have this morning. :-S I don't really want another fish, but I cant say no as otherwise It'll just die because they don't care. I also have no spare tank as the hospital tank has Gibby, and Bertie and Lulu are in the big tank. So I'll add the little new guy in with Gibby, Prazi both and see if I can find a tank divider soon...

Man when it rains it pours doesn't it? :rolleyes: But at least he isn't doing worse is he? :heart

Yea, seems to be the story of my life lately ha ha!! Oh well, this too shall pass and we'll be fine :-)

Nah, Bertie isnt doing bad at all, just the fins look horrible. Not really bad, but not the best. They are tinged a bit with white, and when I get the fin to grow back lately it has been a lighter color and not as thick. That sounds bacterial huh? I'll dose with pimafix and melafix starting saturday after I get paid again. That will help a bit I hope!

I'm curious to find out what your water levels are. Does the pH vary from tank to tap? Can you test for gh or kh? If they are varying then your fish will have to work to adjust to the flux in water params which means it has less ability to heal itself. All I know about fins is that they take perfect water and lots and lots of patience to go away on their own.

Thanks Badoba. My PH stays stable aroung 8.0 and goes to 8.4 every now and then. Out of the tap and a majority of the time its at 8.0, so not a big fluxuation. As for the KH and GH I don't have those tests. We had a problem with his fins about a year and a half ago when I first got him but then it went away and he's been fine.