Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

What's Wrong With Joe?

Joe is my red cap oranda, he's had swim bladder disorder for quite a while now so he spends alot of time upside down. The past few days he's been trying to hide alot, then today i pulled him out from under the driftwood and noticed that he's not looking so good. His tail is completely frayed all over, he's losing some scales, and he has this kink in his back by his dorsal fin. Im gonna do a waterchange asap!

Can you fill out the questions at the top so we can get an idea whats going on??I hope he starts feeling better asap,and a good water change is always a good start :)

sure i'll fill them out, the questions didnt show up before, weird, i was wondering wat happened to them :P

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? not sure, but can do a test later today

[*]Nitrate level? i'll do that later too!

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8-8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? same

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? hagen, tetra (drops for both)

[*]Water temperature?idk, apparently the battery in my thermometer died... but it feels the same as usual, around 76 degrees

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallons, for a couple of years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2x aquaclear 110 (about to clean one of them cuz the waterflow is reduced AGAIN!), rena filstar xP2

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? usually once a week about 20% or up to 40% depending on how the tank looks and the fish r acting(sometimes every two weeks, but i try my best to get it done every week most of the time)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 goldfish (2-7 inches) 2 plecos about 1-2 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, seachem flourish

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day tons of different stuff

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? nope, not too recently anyway

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

poor fishie squeezed himself under the driftwood again :(, im doing that waterchange right now and I'll clean one of the filters. and i removed some dead plant leaves cuz the fish keep killing them grr.

If you could test your nitrates before the water change that would help. Some fish get really floating with high nitrates and with dead plants you can get a cycle bump easily. Can you QT Joe for now?

well nitrates arent wat r making him float, i've never had a problem with that before. the floating is not the issue, thats pretty much normal for him. :(

How is your fish doing today Jule? I hope better :)

well he's not hiding but his fins r still frayed

I am sorry Jules!! :heart

Sometimes fish just go in their own time and their own way.... not much help to you now! Sorry! :(

Swim free Joe!

I'm so sorry about Joe, Jule :(

It is always so hard to watch them die while at the same time trying everything we know to make them better. I'm sure he had a happy life with you before he got sick.