Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gayleale

Fish With Rot On Doral Fin

Hopefully someone can help me or point me in the right direction...

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops test

[*]Water temperature? Don?t know but would say probably in the early 70s

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons nearly 1 year as goldfish tank and before that 1.5 years as tropical tank

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 305

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Was once every 2 to 3 weeks now once every week once I?ve discovered Kokofish -about a third to half

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqua Plus

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Once a day usually tetrafin gold japan (pellets), hikari lionhead (pellets) and about once a week peas

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Not since May 2009

[*]Any medications added to the tank? 1 dose of anti fungus fin rot

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Possible fungus but not woolly and in a wide line

[*]Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? I think her swimming habit has changed due to effect on the dorsal fin although I?m not 100% sure

I have a 125 litre tank (29 gallons) with 1 oranda, 1 black moor and 1 short tailed ryukin (named Yuki). I bought Yuki around May 2009 after about 2 weeks after the oranda and black moor. When I bought her home she had what looked like a white mark nearer to her body http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/FiksMay/fish1-1.jpg

on the dorsal fin? over time this white marking showed through on her fin ? I?ll be honest and say I didn?t do anything about it as it seems a slow white mark that I just took it to mean that that?s what it should be ? hopefully you can see the first photo

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/FiksMay/P1020143.jpg of the mark when I first got her and some as time has gone on - this one is around june 2009

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/FiksMay/P1020151.jpg

and how she looks now

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/FiksMay/P1020143.jpg

I don?t know if it is fin rot as I was under the impression that fin rot works through the fins very quickly and did have this a long time ago with a molly I had when I had a tropical tank but obviously it must be some type of rot it?s not a woolly looking one just looks like a thick white stripe which started from the base to the end of the fin and is now eroding the fin . i have now upped my water changes as assumed it might be to do with poor water quality although ive always tested water and its always been 0 ammonia and 5 nitrite I?m concerned about whether I should treat the whole tank with some salt or anti rot - or whether i should take her out as the only spare tank I have is a 27 litre one (I will have a 60 litre one going spare on Thursday as im upgrading another tank that i have then for 2 others I?m now thinking would it be a good idea to put her in there with a weak salt solution. i have so far given the tank one dose of anti rot and fungus just to start treatment any ideas would be appreciated as mentioned the only thing i think is slightly different is her swimming technique on how she turns but i guess if theres damage to the fin it woudl propel her different so i hope i havent left it too long in seeking help but had hoped with the better water conditions this might also help. thanks

i have also changed my water changing to oonce a week.

I also have an oranda with this on one of his fins. My water results are good, regular water changes and I have tried a couple of medications on him but to no avail.

I am interested to hear of any suggestions. Sorry I couldn't offer any help, being in the same boat.

Hi! Sorry you are having issues! Personally if you have any meds in the tank...take them out! What have you used? Do water changes until 100% of meds gone. Then I would salt.

Aquarium, Pickling, Kosher....there is a link in my signature with more options...but I would salt to .2% for a few weeks. Should heal up nicely!! Just make sure all meds are out of water prior. :heart

ok thanks newbiefishgirl - i'll do a big water change tomorrow to make sure the anti rot stuff is out and start salting hopefully with the new water change regime and the salt solution i should see an improvement. do i need to put some heating in there or just keep as is. i will have a read of your link too

Can I ask how you work out the 2% salt. My packet of APL says 1 rounded teaspoon for every 19 litres.

.2% salt is 2 level teaspoons per gallon of water. So since your tank is 29 gallons, that would be 58 total teaspoons of salt added. Remember that every time you do a water change, you have to add back the amount of salt you removed. If you do a 50% water change, add back 29 teaspoons of salt.

You want to bring it up to .2% salt slowly. First add 29 teaspoons to bring it to .1% salt. Then 12 hours later, add 29 more teaspoons to bring it up to .2%. The link called "trinket on salting" in Newbiefishgirl's signature explains all of this as well. I suggest you read over that before doing anything.

That's great, thank you :)