Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lirpa1

Clamped Fins, Bottom Sitting

You're doing all you can for her by keeping her water quality top notch, giving her good food to give her strength, and some quiet time so she remains stress free, the epsom salt to help draw the fluids out and the meds to fight the infection. Now it is really up to her. But speaking from personal experience with my Bandit these little creatures are tough cookies, their recovery powers are amazing. :heart

So glad to hear things are going well, she is tooooo cute! Keep us posted :)

How is Lulu today? :heart

Im at work, and wont actually know until fiance gets home this mornin and lets me know :-S B/c we started house sitting about 3 days ago, I just stayed home until last night when we stayed at the house sitting job. I'm going home after work, which will be about lunchtime or so, and I'll be there for the afternoon to do a WC and re-medicate her for the 2nd dose...

I'll post an update as soon as he sends me information!

Waiting on updates April! You have had some excellent advice from caitie. I agree that is a trop fish setting and the temp needs to be stable around 80. The extra bubbles are really important at this high temp as warm water does not hold oxygen.

Is Lulu eating?

Yes she is eating, she had two small peas yesterday afternoon which she gobbled up. After te first dose of meds, the all over pine-coning went right down!!! So now its just two pine-coned bumps on each side- behind the gills with one side worse than the other, but that seemed to be going down as well so maybe the flagyl is workin its course?

I did a WC yesterday, I will check the ammonia etc this arvo after work and add in dose #2 for her to set in overnight, and then I will do a 50% WC tomorrow and dose #3 on Monday. She is looking better. and last night I seen her and she was fine before we had to leave, and I have had a message from fiance this morning that she is fine and swimming. I am keeping the epsom salt in the tank (replacing what I take out at WC) and the temp is stable around 80-82 at the moment. She has a heater, filter, and a long bubble wand.

She really is strong! and from Sunday when she was bottom sitting until about Tuesday, when she became fully pine-coned, to today I think she is much better. I can only hope it stays that way :)

I noticed in the Oscar thread someone suggested HP swab? Would it be beneficial for me to try that? or would it not mix with the meds? I could wait till next week when I do 100% WC and swab after that is she still has the white bump?

April I'm so glad Lulu is doing so well. :heart I'm not sure if it is necessary to do a HP swab on her if she is getting better, but I'll let Trinket answer on that one. :)

By the way Imo glad to have you back, we missed you but I hope you had a good trip. :heart

Thanks caitie :D And glad Bandit is hanging in :)

April, good she has appetite. It really sounds like the Flagyl is doing good. Keep watching for ammonia in the QT yes. And epsom for 8 days making sure to redose as you are. Bubbles and 80 temp sound good.

If the dropsy goes down fast it is very hopeful she can can make a complete recovery. Watch that pimple. When you finish the metro we can think again. Sometimes they just go away...if not there are two approaches to tiny bacterial pimples..HP or salt.

What could have caused her to go down like that? I have had her for about a year and a few months and she has always been healthy, well except for when I got her as it was an impulse buy b/c I had been watching her for about 4 weeks at the LFS and came in one day and she was very sick and wouldnt have lived much longer in their tanks, so I bought her and used Koko's and brought her back up to healthy.

I changed them from a 23g to 52g tank, so there could have been a bump in cycle- to new tank cycling? I did haev castles in the tank, but as Bertie continuously shredded his long fins on them they got removed. I only removed them last week though, so perhaps she scraped on teh castles and got an infection? Or is it likely in all of my fish now?

I have Bertie who is acting fine, other than healing his fins which we are working on. Then there is Gibby, the new pearlscale who has been in QT for 3.5 weeks and is now with Bertie. But gibby wasn't added to the tank until saturday and lulu got sick sunday, however gibby and bertie are healthy as can be, and Lulu bottom sat for a couple of days the week before gibby was introduced so I HIGHLY doubt gibby...

So any idea what it is? or why it is?

She got dropsied soon after you removed the castles right? It may be there was bacteria fermenting under those which was released when they were moved. Its a common cause of dropsy. The other one is a very sudden temperature drop.

ah ok... their tank stays quite stable, and its summertime here in Australia. And with the castles, they were moved twice a week as I cleaned the tank as well. :( They're gone anyhow, and hopefully she recovers!

I work late today *sigh* so I cant wait to get home to her.

Well if you have time tonight when you get home give us an update. Lulu is such a pretty girl I hope she'll make a full recovery soon so she can go back with her friends. :D

UGh! I just read the entire thread! So sorry but you have had some great advice from Catie! Good job! :)

The heat is a pain in the backside, i know I live in the desert! I am with Trinket on the removal of castles....are they hollow by chance? Anything hollow is bad! :(

One thing i can add, in summer when it is hot and trying to do temp matched water changes...I have to get help from ice and and extra tub! My water from the tap is literally hot comeing from cold side. You can also let sit out overnight. Cheap method is rubbermaid tub.

I am glad she is getting better and I am sorry I wasn't able to be here sooner! :heart

Well, she is doing well this morning, pine-coning gone down! And the lump on her side is going down as well! looks much better. She is eating, but we're still waiting on a good poos! :(

But it seems to be improving, and as her swelling goes down maybe her stress level will go down and she can process her food better. Still white stringy poos... but we're waiting for a nice few with food colors :)

April I'm so happy she is still doing good. :heart What is she eating now?

I am only giving her peas - b/c theyre better for her to digest yes? should I try some blood worms, brin shrimp, fruit?

Have you ever tried gel food? It is very easy to make and most goldies do very well on it. I think she needs more than peas to get her immune system back up. Here's the recipe I make it only takes a few minutes to make: :)

Ingredients

2 Pack Unflavored Gelatine

1 Tbsp Water (bottled, filtered/dechlorinated)

4 Sardines (about 1/2 of a 3.75 ounce can)

2 jar Babyfood peas and squash (no sugar or salt added)

1 Tab Lactobacillus Acidophilus

1 Centrum Vitamin

Place the Acidophilus tab and the centrum in 1 T water to soak. You may need to use a spoon to crush it so it dissolves totally.

Finely chop sardines and mix with babyfood in a microwave container and bring to a boil.

Stir in gelatine and stir until dissolved.

After mixture has cooled down to where it's warm, stir in Acidophilus mixture and stir until well mixed. You will need a flat container for the gel food. Gel should be about 1/4" thick.

Refrigerate until set.

Cut into squares. I leave out no more than a week's worth of gel in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator. The rest I freeze between layers of plastic wrap. When frozen, I store in the freezer in ziplock bags (each holding about a week of food).

Have you ever tried gel food? It is very easy to make and most goldies do very well on it. I think she needs more than peas to get her immune system back up. Here's the recipe I make it only takes a few minutes to make: :)

Ingredients

2 Pack Unflavored Gelatine

1 Tbsp Water (bottled, filtered/dechlorinated)

4 Sardines (about 1/2 of a 3.75 ounce can)

2 jar Babyfood peas and squash (no sugar or salt added)

1 Tab Lactobacillus Acidophilus

1 Centrum Vitamin

Place the Acidophilus tab and the centrum in 1 T water to soak. You may need to use a spoon to crush it so it dissolves totally.

Finely chop sardines and mix with babyfood in a microwave container and bring to a boil.

Stir in gelatine and stir until dissolved.

After mixture has cooled down to where it's warm, stir in Acidophilus mixture and stir until well mixed. You will need a flat container for the gel food. Gel should be about 1/4" thick.

Refrigerate until set.

Cut into squares. I leave out no more than a week's worth of gel in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator. The rest I freeze between layers of plastic wrap. When frozen, I store in the freezer in ziplock bags (each holding about a week of food).

i made this gel food the other day and it was a very easy recipe to follow! I didn't want half a can of sardines laying around, so i just added it all in. It smells extra fishy, but my goldfish LOVE it.

for mixing, i just mixed it all in my magic bullet! (blender)

Edited by brittie

Ok, thanks. I may try to make that soon when i'm at home for a change - and I'll let u know how i go! I'll try and introduce a variety foods for next few days, mayb a few soaked pellets. :) She's swimming around just being normal now :)

Great news! Good work all :heart

I'm so glad to hear she's doing well! I haven't been on much this weekend (stupid flu has me exhausted) and I couldn't wait to check in and see what you had to say. So happy it's good news :)

I hate house sitting at the moment! We are still staying at someone's house for the week while the owners are gone on holidays - so I can't see Lulu in the afternoons and in the mornings before I leave!! Thanksfully my fiance's mom is a darling and is about to check on her and give me an update. I was with Lulu yesterday and she was good and had a big WC and Im home today for an hr or so after work so I can give her the last dose of medications and feed her. I'll let you know how she is when I receive my update!

Thanks for your help, everyone, we appreciate it sooo much :) Now she is doing better I'm hoping for a full recovery!

Just rec'd text and says she is swimming fine and coming up to glass to check us out etc! woo hoo :D

I have a long weekend this weekend, so I might can try and make the gel food then~! I bet they'll love it! My little baby gibby didnt know what to do when she got her first peas ha ha, and then brocoli the other day was a new treat for her as well!! so the gel food will be something different for all of them :)

Since she's greatly improved - I'm guessing we can move my thread to the general section so it doesnt keep popping in front of the ones who need emergency care?

I just hope the big bumps behind her gills go away completely~! Could that just have been an infection inside her little body? I made a point of feeding her right afetr I put med in the other day so that maybe the meds would mix with the foods and help her inside as well. So I'll do that again tonight.

:)

Woohoo! April I am so happy for Lulu and for you!

I have been checking in and am so pleased with the progress Lulu has made with your loving care and Caitie's GREAT advice! :)

Way to go everyone! :nana

Just finished catching up with all my wcs. Had to force myself to stay away from the computer until all was done, but I was dying to hear how Lulu was doing. This is great news April. :bounce I'm so happy Lulu is doing so well. Let me know how the gel food goes! :)