Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bodoba

How Well Do Plants Cycle?

So I've read quite a few times that plants can be introduced while cycling and it has no effect on them. I'm curious it that's true. I know ammonia does little to plants but what about the nitrIte spike?

Una

How well do plants cycle? Put one on a bike and see!

Sorry, I couldn't resist when I saw this title rofl3.gif

I'm trying to think whether I've ever had plants in my tank while cycling, I don't think I have, I've had a cycle crash before when the pH plummetted but the cycle was still intact, just not working, so it was just ammonia, the plant did not do well but I'm not sure that wasn't due to the salt in the water...not much help really! I know my plants keep my nitrates almost completely gone, but I'm not sure how they do with nitrites...

I will check back to see if someone has a more useful answer...

I have read on planted tank forums that people do plant as they start the cycle process. If I remember correctly I had live plants in my tank when it cycled and they did fine.

Plants should do fine while cycling, in addition, plants will consume some of the nitrates, but you still need to change the water.

When I set up my soil/gravel plant tanks they cycle in less then two days. But the soil helps the cycle. Not sure how the plants well help the cycle alone but I am sure they do.

2 days? Wow thats really fast must be something in the soil :o. Takes me a couple of weeks.

Hmmm

26 litres, two goldish, one plant, constantly high ammonia for 5 months.

The plant lived!

Until I removed it.

So i guess so? Unless the fish keep up-rooting it.