Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gigi

Still Floaty

So is it normal that peas make a goldfish float?? I fasted my fish yesterday and all day she was swimming just great after floating for weeks straight. I was shocked to see her swim so well all day. So I didn't think some peas couldn't hurt today but now she is floating and stuck herself in the corner again. I'm confused...I thought peas help floating!! :wall

Were they softly boiled, mushy and de-skinned? I assume so!

So the fasting worked well?

Could we have your water stats and more info please? Or have I missed a previous thread somewhere:unsure:?

Oh sorry trinket!! I forgot to do the list of questions!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 69-70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55gallons 5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Emperor 400 and Penguin 150

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fancies about 3" and rubbernose about 1"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? progold, salad supreme, peas and Spirulnia Flakes

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? FLOAT FLOAT FLOAT but only one of them does this

Like I said fasting seemed to make everything better for that one day. I didn't boil the peas but thawed them in warm dechlorinated water, de-skinned them and mashed them.

Since your water is good and the reaction is after food and he is fine when fasted, then it is probably related to diet....at least tahts what I would go with to start.. I would try changing his diet completely. No peas or Progold. Try something new. Try a new commercial food for example. A sinking one of course.

Have you tried him on gelfood or any other vegetables/fruit?

Never tried any gel food. I was on flakes at first and didn't have a problem with this fish on flakes. I'll try switching to another sinking pellet. The fish just did a huge poop and is swimming normal again.

okay well I would assume for now its just picky eating..sometimes a brand new pack of food just works.

Or maybe he needed to pass and just did and is going to be fine. Keep us posted :)

Thanks Trinket!! Your the best! :heart:heart:heart:heart:D

So I tried flakes today...I KNOW I KNOW flakes are a no no!!! I thought maybe the fish would do better on flakes since she once was on flakes and was fine. Sure enough she seems much better today than when she was on ProGold! I haven't seen her gulping air and is not sticking herself in the corner on the top of the tank. She is even able to go down. Of course I'm soaking the flakes and if she starts showing signs of floaty-ness again I'll switch to the other sinking pellet I also bought today.

I've had some seriously floaty goldies over the years, so I feel your pain -- it would stress me out horribly! What worked for mine was a non-processed diet. No pellets, no flakes, only fresh or fresh-frozen foods (blanched veggies, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, etc.).

If your fish does well on the flakes but not Pro-Gold, you might be able to find something of better quality than flakes that doesn't make her float. Other good ones to try would be Hikari Lionhead and Saki-Hikari.

I see that you're in CA too -- if you'd like me to mail you a couple little samples of those two foods, just PM me. No point in buying a whole bag if your fish gets floaty!

I have to agree all fish are different when it comes to feeding. It really takes some time to get the whole feeding thing worked out for your fish.

If soaked flakes work then that's better than a floaty fish :) But you could still try her with some other foods like gel or sakihikari maybe.

I tried to find Hikari-that was my first choice but couldn't find it at my Pets-mart. I was thinking about ordering it but didn't want to waste money on shipping if it was going to get her floaty also. Ranchu it would be great if you could mail me a small sample to try!! I would be so grateful!! If it works than I could order some more online. I'll send you my address and I can send you back a couple of bucks if you like. Also I guess I have a whole bag of Pro-gold I don't need anymore. Maybe I should list it under the free spot in the forum for someone to try it. Thanks again for all your help!