Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bodoba

Keeping Telescopes And Non Telescopes Together

I know that many people have kept these two different fancies together but I was just wondering what precautions should be taken. I know that you need to keep your tank "telescope" safe but are there any other considerations? Do these fish have some type of disadvantage to the other fancy breeds? I have never kept them and have only kept fantails but am definitely considering getting one for my eventual tank.

Just a note but I am not talking about keeping them with bubbles eyes, frogheads, or celestial eyes goldfish seeing as those fish require very special tanks and care. I'm talking about the regular eyed fancies.

I keep mine all together and they do great-no differences...........

The telescopes tend to be slower to find food. I didn't know when I got mine, and Pugly (black moor) has done well with an assortment of others. I feed on one side and all the fast fish get it and Pugly goes near the bottom of the other side and I drop some there for him. He and I just had to find a groove to trick the others away from him for a minute :)

No issues keeping them with orandas, ranchus, lionheads and crown pearlscale here. I did have to separate my black moor from a ranchu though as it was constantly bullying the latter.ignore.gif

The only issues my telescopes ever had with living with other fancies was at feeding time. You can teach the teles to hand-feed, or you can teach the fish that you'll be dropping food on BOTH sides of the tank (so they'll split up and each fish has his own food). Other than that, they've always mixed just fine with any other fancy (in my case, ranchus, orandas and pearlscales over the years).

Edited by RanchuDressing

My tele happens to be more blind than most, and if I didn't defend his food during feeding time, he wouldn't get a bite! :D He has to forage along the bottom, using only his sense of smell to find food -- needless to say, it takes him a little while just to locate it. My oranda is lightning fast, and her eyesight is perfect (I think it's even better than mine!), so the tele doesn't stand a chance by himself!

I have the oranda trained however to stay in her side of the tank during feeding time (I put a net in the middle to "remind" her, and gently nudge her back to her side of she starts venturing to the tele's half.) Once in a while, she will get really brave and shoot over and grab a bite of his food, and scoot back to her side in all of 2 seconds -- she's a bugger!

I do have my Tele's seperate from my fantails because of the feeding problems mentioned above,but I would guess it depends on the fish themselfs as well :)

My telescopes outnumber my regular calico fantail at 7 to 1 so actually he's the one who's at the disadvantage! Seriously, the telescopes are much slower to find the food as opposed to regular goldfish, so when feeding just make sure to observe and ensure that all of your telescopes are getting enough to eat. I haven't experienced any issues but always watch the ratio of your regular goldfish compared to the number of telescopes in your tank and make sure they aren't outnumbered. :D

-Dennis

only concern i have noticed with these fish is that they just seem to find the food slower.. so i just put the food near him so that he gets some, because usually the others just rob it from him. but aside from that, i have never seen any issues with them aside from this food business

Very helpful thread!

My dad wants a tele but all of the other fish in the tank would be Orandas and Fantails, so I'm just not sure...my brother's girlfriend got a Fantail to live with her Black Moor, and I know that he's been having a harder time getting his portion of the food.

Granted, I hand feed! :heart

However, the only suggestion I would live by....is NO single tails with fancies! They are fine when they are little, but when they get bigger.......not so good! I do have two single tails with a fantail, they are all boys though.....and I hand feed! So I think it depends on your situation! :)

i have 2 telescopes with an oranda. the oranda seems to have amazing vision while the other 2 dont see much. at feeding time the oranda usually sucks up 3/4 of the food in less than 5 seconds as she zips across the tank so fast! so i just have to make sure the other two get their share.

No issues keeping them with orandas, ranchus, lionheads and crown pearlscale here. I did have to separate my black moor from a ranchu though as it was constantly bullying the latter.ignore.gif

Ya, my tele was bullying my Ranchu too. Eventually it stopped. But there was a point where I considered rehoming my tele. Cause there's no way I would consider rehoming Vader.

I have 2 pandas moors(telescopes with black and white scales) of my own.. and they are really really really slow! i thought my sakuras/orandas/ryukins would be compatible with them but.. my pandas take forever to notice the food and they randomly gulp at the surface when its feeding time... and they never get anything.

So from my experience.. bulgy eyes cant be kept with fancies.. and fancies cannot be kept with single tails(comets, common, kois).

Mike

I was wondering about this question of telescopes with orandas, too. I was at the LFS last week and there was a small tele there that I kind of liked. I was worried that it might be too small (2 inches nose to tail) compared to my much-bigger-in-all-respects orandas (about 6" nose to tail) and mentioned this to the woman working there, who promptly introduced a new thing to worry about: she said the orandas might eat their eyes! And showed me an example in a mixed fancy GF tank of a small, one-eyed tele. I held off after hearing that. Is this a real worry? Only a worry if the teles are much smaller than the orandas? yikes.

There are such goldfish that are eyepluckers, I know some on Koko's have had sad experiences with that. I mostly have heard ryukins guilty of it (I've owned a particularly nasty ryukin before) but it depends on the temperament of the goldfish. But any goldfish can get their eyes plucked, not just telescopes. But I can see your concern with putting a new little guy in with them! But it's really at your discretion, if you've noticed any bullying or harassing form your oranda's before.

I've got three teles in with an oranda and a fantail, I've had no problems, but I do watch them at feeding time because they do take a little longer to find food!! :)

I agree very much with what everyone else has told you.. For a while I tried to keep all my fish as seperate as possible. I have two tanks with telescopes ONLY. One tank with orandas ONLY. Another tank with the ranchu/lionheads.. (I ended up putting the pearlies in there as well actually). But at the store I used to work at I set up a mix tank.. Long story short I had to take down the tank and rehome the fish which I paid for myself so I brought the whole group of them home. It was a total mixture. Fantails, orandas, telescopes, lionhead, pearlie... To this day that tank is a mix tank and the telescopes seem totally fine.. I agree that typically they are slower to find the food, but they def get their share..

I think the big thing here is not so much TYPE of fish but each individual fish and it's personality... Some fish are just BULLIES.. Some fish are just nippers. I think whenever you mix ANY fish you just have to watch out for behavior like that and as long as there isn't any your teles should be fine..

Personally I still like keeping the one type tanks.. I feel like it does even things out not only sight wise, but just swimming style wise.. But I don't see any harm in mixing if you choose to. ;)

I personally don't like mixing up handicap with non-handicap. I think telescope can be kept with other slow/delicate fancy varieties. I would try to stay away from fantail and other goldfish who have superiority. Unless you teach your telescope to hand feed or isolate it during feeding, its hard to ensure everyone gets their bite.

Also, more superior fish will constantly harass or etablish their domiance over weaker/slower fish. Telescopes might became a constant target.

If you would like a mix tank something like telescope, eggfish, celestial eye, slow ping pongs and etc would make up a good group since all are slow and prefer weaker currents.

I have a telescope and a normal fancy.

But Hoover my telescope was first in the tank and alone for about 6 months, then I purchased my little fancy...Houdini

Luckily my telescope is a lot bigger and smarter than the small one, they seem to have this silent agreement, Hoover first. He is fast and picks up the food better then the other fancy so it's her i have to look out for haha!

Then again, my telescope has the body of a comet, the tail of a fantail and the eyes of a telescope...:S

But I guess it's only the two guys so they are kept under control.