Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pearlscaleperfect

Help Stop Eco Columns!

Someone posted a link to this on a fish forum I'm a part of and I thought I'd share it here too.

From ultimatebettas.com:

Idk if any of you remember me posting something last april about 65 bettas and 55 goldfish needing new homes (They were taken from a HORRIBLE science project taking place at my school where goldies and a bettas and whatever else people wanted to put in there were placed into a 2 litre bottle with no water changes and no food for OVER A MONTH!!!! I took in all that the stupid science teacher would let me and tried to rehome them)..... The majority died throghout the expiriment, but the hundred or so fish I rescued all got new homes from people on various forums and what not. Anyway, that is something done EVERY year at my school, and I decided it needs to stop. I wrote a long detailed letter to the principle and gave her care sheets on the 17 most commonly used animals in these experiments (there was a top level two littre bottle also where people put hermit crabs, lizards, Mice, ect). I started a petition to go aroujd my school, but I think I am going to make an online one so that I can get people on UB to sign it. We can stop the deaths, and the cruelty at my school with names and notes. Send me an email at alexastone1@yahoo.com telling my principle why these experiments unneceptable and I will print it out and give it to her and our board members. Thanks! I'll make the petition and post it on here soon!

Link to original post: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=49710&st=0

And here's a link to the petition:

http://www.petition.fm/petitions/stopecocolumnsatmvms/0/1/

WEll, I do not understand what "Eco Columns" is - is it the name of the school? Or what?

That said, I have had much better luck halting misguided, cruel things such as this with the MEDIA as opposed to a petition. The petition - if it gets students to boycott will go a ways towards helping. Much more effective is to pull in the public. Have this person give the LOCAL TV news a call. Describe what is happening - and what their opinion of it is - but done LOGICALLY and RATIONALLY without crying or swearing. Make it a news story - and it will get covered.

Once it is covered, it will be halted. That is a given.

The squeaky wheel and all.....

Do you have a way to contact that person directly? I would ask if they have looked into the regulations for the use of animals in experiments in his/her state. Maybe if the person took a copy of those to the principle things would be much easier. I know that in the university I used to work in we would NEVER be allowed to do anything like that, it would never pass the ethics board.

Here's a quick link I found with Google, probably not the most relevant but it's a start http://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/air/NIH_ensure_welfare.htm

I have signed the petition, and am glad to help out. Best of luck.

What a ridiculous and disgusting thing to do (not the petition!), that's essentially starving animals for no reason, I can't see any purpose for it whatsoever, it doesn't prove anything other than 'things get sick and die without food, cleaning and fresh air.'

When I saw the title for this I was thinking 'what is an eco column and what's so wrong with it?', I was expecting something like the Biube with goldfish in or something. Not a lemonade bottle deathtrap. What's even worse is that it's a school that's doing this, no wonder goldfish and other pets are so badly cared for and animal cruelty is increasingly common if the education system is teaching kids that this sort of thing is perfectly fine. Really gets my back up.

PETA anyone?

Well, that's just sickening. I agree with Daryl; get the media involved and it will stop.

PETA anyone?

Or the ASPCA, probably a better solution for a local issue like that.

We have the same exact science experiment go on at our school. It's to see if the kids can establish an eco system. The sad thing is it's a high school environmental science class. You would expect that high schoolers and teachers would have more sense than that. It's shameful.

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!! In lieu of art and music classes being cut for lack of funding,they're teaching 'Animal Abuse 101'!!!!!!!! Personally,I wish it were a law that these teachers had to withstand and endure the terms of an experiment themselves,before they're allowed to subject another living creature to it :blowup:

As a soon to be licensed teacher, I am pretty disappointed this is coming from a school. The teachers and the principal should know better. I'm sure if the principal has a level-head he'll do the right thing. If not, going a step above to the superintendent might be useful.

Just makes ya wonder what they were thinking. :hmm