Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Cloudy Water

5 posts in this topic

Lately, my tank has been really coudy. It's to the point where I don't know what to do. I'll do water changes, and the next day, it will be back to extremely cloudy. I've also tried chemicals that are suppose to clear you water. They did nothing. Then I tried salting to higher the "normal" levels.

The cloudyness has a slight green tint to it, but it's not bright like the green water algea.

Any suggestions?

Less light. You don't need any salt. More water changes. If the tank is not cycled it well be cloudy. So more water changes till it is cycled.

It's fully cycled. That's the thing...

It sounds like you have the beginning of a free-floating green algae bloom. It will appear as barely cloudly at first. Only after the algae population starts to really bloom will you begin to seen green.

This is not all bad - but if you do not want green water, it is better to turn the lights on later or off sooner. Clean out larger volumes of water for a bit or use a UV lamp to clear it.

IF the water did not have a green tint to it, I might suggest that you look to your mechanical filtration. I have one tank that is an odd configuration. Even with a full 15X turnover, it does not clear properly. I have taken it to 20X turnover and it is crystal clear. It just needed more mechanical filtration to sort out the inclusions.

I usually only keep the lights on for 6-7 hours a day. I've been keeping them off more and it appears to be clearing up.