Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishbeginner

Rock From The Beach?

So I just finished setting up my new tank with plenty of plants. The water is well cycled and all levels are good. However, since I moved up 3x my old tank, I don't have enough plant to cover all the space. There is a corner where a large rock would be nice. As you know, buying a rock is very expensive and they go by weight. I live close to the coast so today I went to a small beach and picked up a large dark rock that is smooth without sharp edge. I came home and use the vinegar test, no foaming. I then blast it with the garden hose and then use a old tooth brush to thoroughly cleaned it. Now my question is: Is it safe for me to put it in the tank?

I would boil it for an hour or more to kill any bacteria.

It wouldn't hurt to boil it. :)

I've placed a rock I found in the beach into my tank without any problems. Although, I let the rock sit alone and dry for a couple of weeks (because I forgot that I had picked it up!) found it, washed it with hot water, and just dropped the sucker right into my tank.

I have several beach rocks in my tank with no ill effects so far. They were sitting out dry for quite a long time beforehand though, as I only picked them up as "pretty rocks" before I got into fishkeeping and didn't think to add them to my tank until well after I aquired my fish. I only rinsed mine with hot water since I knew any "bad bugs" would probably have died already from sitting dry for so long, but a good boil would definitly not hurt.

ooooh.. oooooh.. i have a rock from the beach too.. i hauled it a long way back to the car. it's really heavy but it has 7 colours through it.. it's definately natural as it looked like the clifface it fell from... my father in law (god rest his soul) and i were crazy about things like that.. i collected it for him and he was over the moon about it.. so sentimental value is high where it concerns this rock.. he's been gone now for 7 years.. i ask... it's been sitting out in the weather all this time.. a quick boil, a cool down and add it to the 66 gal?

Here ya go....

Helen, I would dry the rock out as explained below. You wouldn't want it to explode or crack with it's sentimental value. Hope this helps.

-Dennis

Dry the rock thoroughly before boiling it. If there is any moisture trapped inside of the rock, it can cause the rock to explode. To dry the rock, set it in a warm, dry place for at least a week. Alternatively, you can place a heating pad set on low around the rock(s) for at least two hours.

Boil the rock for at least an hour. Add more water as necessary.

Allow the water and rock to cool completely before attempting to remove the rock from the water.

Rinse the rock under tap water.

Place the rock into your aquarium as desired.

Here ya go....

Helen, I would dry the rock out as explained below. You wouldn't want it to explode or crack with it's sentimental value. Hope this helps.

-Dennis

Dry the rock thoroughly before boiling it. If there is any moisture trapped inside of the rock, it can cause the rock to explode. To dry the rock, set it in a warm, dry place for at least a week. Alternatively, you can place a heating pad set on low around the rock(s) for at least two hours.

Boil the rock for at least an hour. Add more water as necessary.

Allow the water and rock to cool completely before attempting to remove the rock from the water.

Rinse the rock under tap water.

Place the rock into your aquarium as desired.

yaaaay! will do it.. i've been thinking about doing this for some time now.. the tank's big enough to take it.. the colours of it are sooooo pretty when wet.. and the rock itself has no sharp edges or anything harmful to the fish :heart .. oh, this is going to be soooo nice :heart .. i just wish my father in law would have been here to see it :(

thanks dennis.. instructions very easy to understand.. as always :)

helen

After vinegar washing, boiling it will ensure its good to put in the tank. Beach is a good place to find decor for tanks :D