Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nymphae

They Did It Again!?

It's crazy, but my fish have laid eggs again!

And this time there appear to be a lot more fertile ones. (I think about 2/3, if not 3/4!)

I was very surprised to see this, because they don't even have the right conditions to be breeding, and also because it's been only about 2 weeks since they last laid eggs. But they're there anyway.

Unfortunately I don't have the space to take care for the amount of fry that will hatch out of this batch. So I'll be cleaning the tank out completely either this evening or tomorrow morning. Which makes me a little sad, 'cause it feels like doing 'fish abortion'. But it wouldn't be fair to the fishies to cram them in a tiny tank either. So it has to be done.

Wish me luck! :(

A small update..

The 5 little ones that hatched previously are all doing fine and are eating and growing. Though some a little faster than others.

I understand how you feel, Nymphae.:( I feel bad when I see the eggs have already reached their climax but it's worse cramming the goldies with limited space than to simply cull them.

That is all part of a single spawning. If conditions are not just right or if the fish is interrupted, etc., many simply stop releasing eggs until the next low pressure day when the temp changes a bit.

If you have a fully prepped fish coming from around the world that is season challanged, it should be able to release at least 5000 eggs - sometimes more depending on maturity. You may see more days of release.

This is good. Getting them out is good. Letting them eat some before you clean will help bulk the parent fish back up. It is natural. Just remember - all that good protien will produce extra waste - so keep an eye on your water!

.. Still have to do it, I'm not procrastinating AT ALL!

They ate a lot of the eggs though, so I guess that makes it a bit easier.

@daryl

Thanks for explaining, it makes more sense to me now. :)

Edited by Nymphae

One of the little fish died. While the others were growing, this little one didn't seem to develop at all, and even though I thought I'd seen it eating, it stayed really skinny. I found it laying on the bottom of the tank. It probably had some sort of defigurement of its' bowels or something.

The other babies are doing well however and have grown considerably. I'll be making pictures soon (my camera should be able to pick them up now) and post them here. :)

I cleaned out the new eggs a while ago. Thought you might want to know that too.

Edited by Nymphae

I'm so sorry to hear one of your fry died.:(

You're stronger than I am.lol If I had seen more eggs, I dunno if I have enough willpower to stop myself from saving them but as my 600+ pond will be up, maybe I'll consider a few dozens in the meantime...I am left with less than 10% of my number of fry now. Lost a majority to dragonfly nymphs when I failed to inspect thoroughly, thanks to my hectic schedule. If fry are in open containers, I'd be careful with possible predators sneaking to prey on them too. They're likely to invade if you get plants and algae from ponds though.

Most spawns of fry seem to go through die-off periods. IT is fairly predictable - and comes at predictable times. I have postilated that these periods are the result of certain body size being attained (or not attained). As the fry matured - the body's ability to find, process and utilize food may not keep up with the demands of a larger body - and the fish dies. (as you noted - the fish is simply not "built" properly and it can no longer support itself)

Immunities differ amongst fry, too. What kills one may not affect another.

I am sorry you lost a fry - but I am pleased to see that you recognise it for what it is - simply nature's way of preserving those that will live well.....

Whoops! Typo in my post and can't edit anymore. I meant 600g+ pond. No way can I afford 600+ ponds.lol I'm correcting this issue before people question if I am imagining things.rolleyes.gif

Just did some water refreshing and general cleaning up for the babies. Maybe if I'm lucky they will survive all 4 now, they do appear to be growing anyway..

I can already see some difference in colour. Three of them seem to have some sort of greenish hue to the top part of their bodies, while one seems to be completely seethrough there.

That reminds me, I promised to make pictures! *headdesk*

I know I promised to make pictures, but my camera still doesn't seem to be able to pick them up. Even though they've grown much bigger than they were.. I'm sorry, but I think you guys will have to wait a little longer.. :(

Today I looked at my fry and saw one of them was in a corner. Head down it kept sinking. Also there was like a big white portruding spot at one of its' fins. Since it was still transparant I could see it had no food in its' belly.

So I decided to cull it.. It just looked like it was dying and I think no matter what I would have done, it wouldn't have gotten better judging from the sheer size of the affected area.

Maybe the biggest fry attacked it or it just got sick. I don't know.. I sure hope it wasn't a transmittable disease..

You did the right thing. Sometimes even a little injury will take over and swallow a little fish with fungus within a day.

The fact that you have kept your little guys growing these weeks is FANTASTIC. It is not everyone who can do so as you have done. That is really commendable. No matter what you are doing, you will lose a few as you go. You cannot beat yourself up over it.

This also means that you may have a lot of potential for fungus problems in the tank - have you removed ALL the left over eggs and are keeping the food waste at a minimum?

Some feed egg yolk for REALLY tiny fry - and it can leave a great propensity for fungus in a tank. It is a very "dirty" first food for fry. I do not even mess with it - too messy and difficult to keep clean. If you did use eggyolk slurry a few weeks back, you may wish to do a REALLY good cleaning of all the floss, the filter box, the gravel (if there is any)... in fact ANYWHERE leftover yolk waste could be hiding. It is not processed well by the BB and harbors a LOT of fungus problems.

Other than that, I do not think you have anything other than normal concerns to worry about with your fry. The fact that they are eating and growing and such is GREAT!!!! I would love to see pictures, but I understand about taking them. I am a failure at photos.

:)

@Daryl

I'm glad you think so too! I was a little worried about being judged for maybe giving up too soon.

Left over food isn't really an issue in my tank as I clean it regularly.

As for the food.. there petstores where I live have NO food for goldfish fry at all.. so I'm kinda stuck with a ground up powdery version of what I feed the adults. They're growing on it however and are active little fish, so I guess it has enough nutrients..

I forgot to mention that the day after I culled that one fry, I placed the others into another tank and cleaned out their own completely. So I hope that will help get rid of the fungus problem for now..

Also, I'll try taking pictures again in the near future. :)

Just a little ranting on my goldfish..

Bibi recently laid eggs again, like before I left the eggs for a day and let the adults feast on them, then cleaned the tank. It hasn't been two weeks however, and Bibi again is starting to look 'plump' at the back of her belly. Also Bob has very obvious breeding tubercles. What I'm trying to say; I think it won't take long for them to lay eggs again..

(Anyone here ever got tired of fish that just.. didn't seem to be able to stop spawning? I mean, can't they put a cork in it?)

Don't worry though, still love them! ;)

The babies are still growing well and the difference in colour is getting more obvious. As of now, there are two light ones, and one dark. I think they're actually ready for a less powdery version of what I'm giving them, so that's good.

Also I've noticed them preferring now to feed from the bottom of the tank, rather than swim to the surface as they did in the beginning.

There, done ranting. :P

EDIT:

Can't believe I almost forgot to share this!

Bob seems to be changing colour a bit.. He's got less black than he had in the beginning and more white is showing up on his left flank.

Also, I may soon get a different tank for them to swim in, with A LOT more space. ^^ Finally convinced my parents that they're happier in a big tank.

Edited by Nymphae